• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2017 OBS Thread

Rtd208

disappointing that line fizzled yesterday but the RAP and HRRR actually showed that exact scenario around noon yesterday and they nailed it. got a nice soaking rain overnight though, didn't check the gage before I left for work but I would guess around a half inch. should get another round of steady rain this afternoon and evening. could be the last weather event here before Irma remnants or potential Irma.

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, The Iceman said:

disappointing that line fizzled yesterday but the RAP and HRRR actually showed that exact scenario around noon yesterday and they nailed it. got a nice soaking rain overnight though, didn't check the gage before I left for work but I would guess around a half inch. should get another round of steady rain this afternoon and evening. could be the last weather event here before Irma remnants or potential Irma.

Sounds about right. I picked up .48"

This line of rain is moving E ever so slow so I wouldn't expect it for several more hours. Looks like another .5"+    Currently 61.4F...

line.jpg

Rain so far today 0.54" - event total so far 1.02"

Here in Chester County with today's Hi/Lo 65.2/58.0 - this marks the 14th of the last 15 days that have been below normal...it appears that stretch may go to at least 19 of 20 days based on the forecast over the next 5 days....in fact the next 2 days have a strong shot at being record low daily maxes in the last 35 years of record keeping - with previous records for 9/7 being the 69.4 in 2009 and on the 8th the 69.0 max from 1993. Impressive stretch we may have 3 low daily max records out of the 1st 8 days in September.

Wow-- this joint is all bummed out over a lackluster squaw line and ignoring the elephant in the room IRMA IRMA IRMA!!!I still think there is a chance for Irma to make landfall in North Carolina, maybe not as far north as Hatteras but Lookout and Oakaroke are in trouble. Fire and fury like the world has never seen. I really think this storm could make Harvey look like small peanuts if it hits the right place. The soundings are just incredible for this storm, 913mb 225mph at 500 feet. 200mph sustained at a 100ft. 

7 hours ago, zenmsav6810 said:

Wow-- this joint is all bummed out over a lackluster squaw line and ignoring the elephant in the room IRMA IRMA IRMA!!!I still think there is a chance for Irma to make landfall in North Carolina, maybe not as far north as Hatteras but Lookout and Oakaroke are in trouble. Fire and fury like the world has never seen. I really think this storm could make Harvey look like small peanuts if it hits the right place. The soundings are just incredible for this storm, 913mb 225mph at 500 feet. 200mph sustained at a 100ft. 

I know this forum is actually more a winter-mode place but I don't think any here are ignoring Irma.  It's just that this is a local OBS thread and Irma talk would be OT unless she was on our doorstep, and in that case, we would have already started a new thread on Irma OBS.  We don't normally get much moderation in here anymore but didn't want to get into any habit of too much OT banter and then end up getting posts deleted when that habit carries over into major threads on other forums where heads are chopped off quickly and efficiently. :P

As an OBS, after what has been a 3-day fropa, I ended up with 0.71" yesterday added to 0.14" from Tuesday, for 0.85" over 2 days.  So far this morning, I have received 0.02" to give me 0.87" for the entire event. The front is off the coast and looks like it took the lines of showers with it so I think it's done.   Current temp is 57F and partly cloudy with a big ole full moon setting.

1 hour ago, RedSky said:

0Z NAM LOLZ!

Classic NAM. Of course it tends to figure out these big, crazy, tricky, no-one-knows storms right every once in a while... thats why they keep it around. I modified my forecast from Hatteras slightly south to Cape Lookout (thats where ground zero will be). It will likely make land fall as a strong cat3. I think there are possibilities for this to develop into an annular hurricane due to this dry air mass over Florida. I'm thinking 2003 Isabel is the best analog.

48 minutes ago, zenmsav6810 said:

Classic NAM. Of course it tends to figure out these big, crazy, tricky, no-one-knows storms right every once in a while... thats why they keep it around. I modified my forecast from Hatteras slightly south to Cape Lookout (thats where ground zero will be). It will likely make land fall as a strong cat3. I think there are possibilities for this to develop into an annular hurricane due to this dry air mass over Florida. I'm thinking 2003 Isabel is the best analog.

Isabel? That's a bold prediction 

1 minute ago, RedSky said:

Bold. Hearing there has been an 8.0 quake in Mexico which is amazing considering the current sun activity and bold predictions of major quakes out there.

Jeez almighty the world is ending supercyclones, lunatics with nukes , wildfires in Oregon and now quakes in Mexico and rumblings in Yellowstone.

looking like we likely won't get anything from Irma. Maybe an enhanced frontal passage but that's it. the lack of exciting weather drought continues. we had several good storms this summer but no real big severe outbreaks. this summer was honestly one of the better ones for thunderstorms at least in my area compared to the last few years. but there isn't any single event where it was area wide severe reports which is kind of odd. hopefully we can get a strong cold front this fall that brings some intense winds or a fall severe outbreak to break the dull pattern we have been in since March.

As expected we indeed did set yet another record low maximum record for the date in Chester County today. The high was only 66.3 beating the old mark of 69 set back in 1993. Tomorrow will be close to another record low max with the NWS forecast now down to 68 and the record being 67 way back in 1990. So far this month we are running 6.8 degrees below normal for the 1st 8 days of September. More impressively 16 of the last 17 days have been below normal. 

Meanwhile down in Sea Isle City a beautiful day today with a high of 73.7 - great beach weekend ahead for those lucky enough to be down there! 

1 hour ago, Voyager said:

Fantasyland for sure, but hour 234 on the 12z GFS puts Jose just off the Jersey Shore at 937mb and landfalls in NYC at 944mb 6 hours later...lol

I just took a peek at the 12Z Euro, it has Jose off the Carolina coast with rain up to SE Pa at 240 hrs. Is it right? Who knows. But it's interesting to see these west trends with Jose considering it was written off as a fish storm a few days ago.

18 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

I just took a peek at the 12Z Euro, it has Jose off the Carolina coast with rain up to SE Pa at 240 hrs. Is it right? Who knows. But it's interesting to see these west trends with Jose considering it was written off as a fish storm a few days ago.

Yes, I believe the Euro is in the same general ballpark as the GFS. Like I said, it's basically fantasyland at this point, but still bears watching as you just never know.

With Irma very little interest in the somewhat significant local September chill...but  yet another record low max over the last 35 years here in Chester County today...today's high of only 63.8 smashed the old record from 1990 of 67.0 for chill and marks the 3rd straight record low max and 4th such record cold day this month!

6 minutes ago, greenskeeper said:

lows in the 40s, highs in the 70s i'd take this weather all year long

That's how it was when I was in San Francisco at the end of February almost 15 years ago. Left Philly's 8" of snow with boots and a winter coat and only needed a sweater there.

Had a morning low of 51F this morning and currently at my high (so far) for the day of 72F.

Save for some irma showers on Wednesday, this week looks possibly the nicest all year. Highs in the upper 70's/low 80's with lows in the upper 50s/low 60s through next weekend and low humidity save for Wednesday as well. Really a nice pattern setting up for us the next 10 days. Will have to keep an eye on Jose though possibly throwing a wrench into this stretch of perfect weather.

Archived