• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2017 OBS Thread

Rtd208

Sun is poking through the overcast up here now. ended up with 0.61" from the event.

As far as Irma goes, I know we're far from any kind of track consensus, but am I the only sadistic one who got really excited yesterday when the GFS was showing tracks up the Delaware and Chesapeake Bays? Today's trends to take it into the Carolinas, and then keep a NW track into Ohio are depressing. At that rate, we might see some high cirrus and a few light breezes.

I guess I suffer from severe IMBY syndrome, but just once in my lifetime I'd like to be at "ground zero" for a major weather event instead of on the periphery...

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Sun is poking through the overcast up here now. ended up with 0.61" from the event.

As far as Irma goes, I know we're far from any kind of track consensus, but am I the only sadistic one who got really excited yesterday when the GFS was showing tracks up the Delaware and Chesapeake Bays? Today's trends to take it into the Carolinas, and then keep a NW track into Ohio are depressing. At that rate, we might see some high cirrus and a few light breezes.

I guess I suffer from severe IMBY syndrome, but just once in my lifetime I'd like to be at "ground zero" for a major weather event instead of on the periphery...

I am with you it is a little depressing where it now appears to be headed. And another thing Harvey has ruined me with rainfall, I can't look at an 8-16" rain estimate now and feel even a little bit impressed. Must reset expectations quickly to enjoy Irma lol.

34 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Have a family member bitterly complaining that they have given up and are closing the pool for the season. I explained how keeping the pool open until October the last two years is NOT normal weather.

Tuesday appears the last day where a pool would be needed (last warmest day) till next year. Looks like mostly 70s from there on out...maybe a pop up 80 but nothing major.

Low clouds, mist / super light rain...pokes of sun. Then low clouds, mist / super light rain...pokes of sun. Then low clouds, mist / super light rain...pokes of sun. Etc..

67.4F

Little surprised there is no "chatter" here with a major hurricane a week away. Regardless of where it does finally go I would expect some impact here in the Philadelphia region. IF nothing else some rain or possible  big waves at the shore.  Maybe it goes into the gulf and never brings anything to us, but the cards are not dealt yet and there seems to be a trend toward more of an east coast impact. Could be nothing, but could also be significant,  if not huge issues. aka Hazel, Floyd, etc.

ignoring Irma for a second, today has the potential to be one of our last severe threats of the year. will have pretty strong instability in place and a pretty strong airmass moving in, we could see a pretty decent squall line this evening. I don't see any days in the future having as much instability in place as today. looks like whatever storms we get will be low topped as compared to today which could be prolific lightning producers at the minimum. I don't expect widespread wind damage but there definitely is dynamics in place for a strong line of storms. north and west have the best chance of seeing severe.

43 minutes ago, Chief83 said:

Little surprised there is no "chatter" here with a major hurricane a week away. Regardless of where it does finally go I would expect some impact here in the Philadelphia region. IF nothing else some rain or possible  big waves at the shore.  Maybe it goes into the gulf and never brings anything to us, but the cards are not dealt yet and there seems to be a trend toward more of an east coast impact. Could be nothing, but could also be significant,  if not huge issues. aka Hazel, Floyd, etc.

'Cause a bunch of folks from our forum are in the big thread on the Tropical Forum monitoring it.  I expect that if there is some sort of east coast hit and we get progged to get any resultant TS or remnants from it, we could start a thread on it.  I know some of the model runs over the weekend had it barreling up into the Chesapeake Bay or LI at one point.

Last "warm" day of the week before the rains come and cool temps.  Currently 81F & sunny here, and somewhat humid.

25 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

SPC put up a Severe Thunderstorm Warning for the area.  There is a Tornado warning up across northern Adams and northwest York counties.

Looks like 6:30 - 7pm before we see anything...storms only around Harrisburg or so. Hail reported. As iceman mentioned, this may be one (if not last) good chance at T-storms. And most likely our last day w/temps in the upper 80s w/high dewpoints. Let's go out w/a bang and bring on Fall with temps in 70s/60s (lows 50s/40s) for most part.

1 hour ago, Birds~69 said:

Looks like 6:30 - 7pm before we see anything...storms only around Harrisburg or so. Hail reported. As iceman mentioned, this may be one (if not last) good chance at T-storms. And most likely our last day w/temps in the upper 80s w/high dewpoints. Let's go out w/a bang and bring on Fall with temps in 70s/60s (lows 50s/40s) for most part.

It's gotten pretty dark out there but I noticed the line is already starting to break up as it approaches.  Saw some bowing earlier just south of Allentown and up in the NW corner of Bucks, but that segment is moving into New Jersey now.

Just now, Hurricane Agnes said:

It's gotten pretty dark out there but I noticed the line is already starting to break up as it approaches.  Saw some bowing earlier just south of Allentown and up in the NW corner of Bucks, but that segment is moving into New Jersey now.

It's definitively losing intensity...way less red echoes. 

Just now, RedSky said:

The streak is over I had my first legit thunderstorm in years, complete with chunky dime size chards of hail. Not very fierce but good lightning and strong gusts it was raining leaves only .30" rain very brief downpour.

I noticed it looked to be coming across you but I didn't want to say anything and jinx it. :P

1 hour ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

The initial line gave me 0.05" but nothing since.  The next band sortof dissolved.  Another couple bands still to come (and may also dissolve although I think the front is supposed to slow down and it's progged to rain on and off tonight and all tomorrow). Currently 71F and overcast.

I had a couple big rain drops fall for a minute...didn't even cover the ground. The radar looks like some showers/light-mod rain w/no T-storms. Pretty pathetic compared to how it looked earlier...

sh.jpg

Archived