• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2017 OBS Thread

Rtd208

With that "setup", you'd have thought I'd be a lock for a nice storm, right?

Wrong...

That line completely fell apart just as it was getting to Tamaqua. We had a half dozen flashes and rumbles and a whopping 0.08" of rain.

1 hour ago, Birds~69 said:

Pretty decent setup going on...

pd.jpg

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Voyager said:

With that "setup", you'd have thought I'd be a lock for a nice storm, right?

Wrong...

That line completely fell apart just as it was getting to Tamaqua. We had a half dozen flashes and rumbles and a whopping 0.08" of rain.

Damn....it's windy/blowing up big time but the radar kinda looks like crap....WTF?

1 hour ago, JTA66 said:

It'll skip over RedSky's house, but I'm sure I'll get something out of it -- I put off mowing until tomorrow. It's a rare day that I mow a dry lawn this summer <_<

It skipped over my house but guess what I was in Kutztown and got nailed lmao

Once upon a time I visited an old junkyard in Haycock. Lining the front of the property were old rusty school buses, inside I couldn't find a soul. Then out of nowhere a huge oaf that resembled the halfwit on the farm in the original Mad Max comes stomping along with what looked like blood all over his face. No it wasn't blood it was chicken wing sauce, frightening. Then even worse I had to enter another rusted bus to finish the transaction, in there was a 90'ish old woman with clouded milky white eyes using a register with the big keys like from the 1920's. 

7 hours ago, RedSky said:

Once upon a time I visited an old junkyard in Haycock. Lining the front of the property were old rusty school buses, inside I couldn't find a soul. Then out of nowhere a huge oaf that resembled the halfwit on the farm in the original Mad Max comes stomping along with what looked like blood all over his face. No it wasn't blood it was chicken wing sauce, frightening. Then even worse I had to enter another rusted bus to finish the transaction, in there was a 90'ish old woman with clouded milky white eyes using a register with the big keys like from the 1920's. 

Classic!

Believe me, I've been there...and back.

On 8/19/2017 at 10:17 PM, Birds~69 said:

You cool?

And what horror movie comes to mind? I have a couple...

Good eclipse viewer can be made with binoculars with eye piece facing opposite the sun, cap one side so only one is open. Poke two holes in a board of some kind cardboard works well, need that to shade the sun. Best viewed with image projected on a white background. Of course you don't look in the eye piece but the projected image.

I can't believe it will be mostly clear!

I missed it.  Was stuck in my cube!  Tried to run out and do the reverse camera action just as a cloud got in the way.  And then the phone was ringing and ringing.....back to my cube! ugh  The shadowy sunshine being out earlier on my lunch break was cool though......

Enjoyed plotting a map and seeing/reading where other members in TN Valley and Southern States were watching.  Should be some good pics coming.

Off to heat advisory now.....I truly hope this is the last one!!! Looks splendid after that.

11 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Peak eclipse, taken at 2:41pm through the corrugated plastic roof extension on my back patio.

P1020535.JPG

Good idea and how easy. I worked on my binocular viewer on a tripod for over an hour and it was balky to work with. Saw your corrugated viewer and looked around and tried the plastic lid for the cat feeder. Works perfect would have saved me lots of time and duct tape lol.

Scattered cloud deck came through during the eclipse event although I was able to get a few shots with the glasses and without (when the sun was behind the clouds).  Shot was 2:25 pm -

IMG_2721-2_25pm-08212017.thumb.JPG.be9de6f4a026acabaac8eb02ad15488e.JPG

Temp maxed at 87.3 F just before 2 pm and dropped to 82.2F just after 3 pm before creeping back up.  You could definitely feel the temp drop when sitting out there during this event.  Currently 84F and partly cloudy. 

Temp maxed at 89F here today with a max dp of 76F.  Currently 89 and dp 73F & partly cloudy.  SPC just threw up a Severe Thunderstorm Watch for Philly burbs N/W -

Severe Thunderstorm Watch

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH OUTLINE UPDATE FOR WS 464
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
420 PM EDT TUE AUG 22 2017

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH 464 IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1200 AM EDT
FOR THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS

PAC001-011-017-025-029-037-041-043-055-057-067-069-071-075-077-
079-087-089-091-093-095-097-099-103-107-109-119-127-131-133-
230400-
/O.NEW.KWNS.SV.A.0464.170822T2020Z-170823T0400Z/

PA
.    PENNSYLVANIA COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE

ADAMS                BERKS               BUCKS
CARBON               CHESTER             COLUMBIA
CUMBERLAND           DAUPHIN             FRANKLIN
FULTON               JUNIATA             LACKAWANNA
LANCASTER            LEBANON             LEHIGH
LUZERNE              MIFFLIN             MONROE
MONTGOMERY           MONTOUR             NORTHAMPTON
NORTHUMBERLAND       PERRY               PIKE
SCHUYLKILL           SNYDER              UNION
WAYNE                WYOMING             YORK
$$

ATTN...WFO...PHI...CTP...BGM...OKX...

6 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

I see another fail around here....maybe Berks/N and such. Probably a shower or so In my area....

Yup, although you would think because it is so unstable out there, something scattered may pop up.  This may be the last opportunity for some rain before next week, but it sounds like a nice stretch.  They are already talking up possible re-animated Harvey remnants for next week however.

10 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Yup, although you would think because it is so unstable out there, something scattered may pop up.  This may be the last opportunity for some rain before next week, but it sounds like a nice stretch.  They are already talking up possible re-animated Harvey remnants for next week however.

I hear you but it's happening at the wrong time. Probably Berks around 7-8pm....my area 10 - midnight. Instability has settled in by then. A 15-30 minute boomer would be fine by me but only expecting a couple showers.

Hate to brag again but getting a severe storm in the Lehigh Valley. There was even a tornado warning in southern poconos. I am experiencing heavy rain with worst thunder in distance. Best summer ever up here.!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived