Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June 19th Thunderstorm Discussions & Observations

bluewave

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, psv88 said:

5 miles to my east has under 0.50. I was right along some sorta boundary along which the cells were redeveloping. 

IMG_1273.PNG

IMG_1274.PNG

I'm right on the line too. Luckily the good side as we always struggle with convection down here this time of year. The difference between nothing during the big downpour and flooding rains was about a mile earlier. My street was flooded when I got home from work at jones beach where we had sprinkles 

Just now, psv88 said:

Wow. Rough event for you. 

2.10 so far here

Cannot really complain. Had 3 separate thunderstorms and then some convectively driven stratiform rains. Got a bit unlucky in that both areas to my NW and SE saw more significant training.

2 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Cannot really complain. Had 3 separate thunderstorms and then some convectively driven stratiform rains. Got a bit unlucky in that both areas to my NW and SE saw more significant training.

For me, the 7 minute deluge this morning is what saved this event.  Convection is hit or miss though, and some of the ingredients for severe weather were lacking (low mid-level lapse rates, fairly weak shear).  Drenching rain seems to be the main takeaway with this one.

10 hours ago, JerseyWx said:

For me, the 7 minute deluge this morning is what saved this event.  Convection is hit or miss though, and some of the ingredients for severe weather were lacking (low mid-level lapse rates, fairly weak shear).  Drenching rain seems to be the main takeaway with this one.

The limiting factors were low shear and poor mid-level lapse rates. Areas further NW that were closer to the stronger shear were able to sustain updrafts longer. Another problem is that all of the activity ahead of the main line limited instability somewhat. 

With all that being said, the area still saw plenty of severe reports and the flash flooding certainly was an issue in a lot of places.

I finished with 1.85" yesterday. I love not having to water anything for awhile.

You know it's dry when Rosemary (a Mediterranean native) begins to wilt when the sun hits it. And the first flower on my hibiscus opened up during the second downpour, it's disfigured as a result.

Archived