joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 19th Thunderstorm Discussions & Observations

bluewave

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The EPS mean had 1.75"+ over the next 6 days for most areas, however given that this will be purely convectively driven there will be the typical winners and losers. I'm putting this out there now so that I can bump this later in the week, don't expect the radar to look particularly impressive except for on Monday.

I remember some June deluges when I was a teenager and living in Brooklyn...the first was on June 24th, 1962...the second was in 1967 during the daytime...Both were localized heavy rains in a few hours...6" was reported in Bensonhurst in 1962...It led to a huge sink hole on 62nd street and Ft. Hamilton Pkwy...the one in 1967 caused street flooding on 10th Ave and 62nd St...It was raining so hard you could not see very far...I don't know how much rain fell that day but it was the only time I saw flooding like that in my area...

http://www.tandfonli...72.1962.9926985

5 minutes ago, dmillz25 said:

I think NYC gets in it as well

Suffolk has had more severe than NYC proper in the past few years. Since I've been out here the north shore has gotten crushed several times with severe storms and the east end has seen twisters. 

The Long Island no severe storm song has gotten old and simply isn't true. We see severe with warm fronts and later in the summer when the water is warmer. Happens more on the north shore and east end.

This post was meant for yanksfan btw

8 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Suffolk has had more severe than NYC proper in the past few years. Since I've been out here the north shore has gotten crushed several times with severe storms and the east end has seen twisters. 

The Long Island no severe storm song has gotten old and simply isn't true. We see severe with warm fronts and later in the summer when the water is warmer. Happens more on the north shore and east end.

This post was meant for yanksfan btw

Agree on the warm front, but this isn't a warm front setup, it's a classic cold front from the West.

If any potential storms are looking to be dead on arrival upon entering the city you can keep em. I'm okay with a regular thunderstorm, it doesn't have to verify as severe, but a brief shower with one faint rumble of thunder is just a waste of everyone's time.

Archived