joxey
June 19th Thunderstorm Discussions & Observations

bluewave

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, rgwp96 said:

.68 total here, not really that impressive 

If you look at the total alone, it won't tell the whole story.  I could barely see across the street and I had a small stream running through the backyard.

1 hour ago, snywx said:

Very little severe today. The rain tho has been quite impressive

I agree, you had quite a rain event up there.

6 minutes ago, psv88 said:

More CTG than i have seen since i moved here 2.5 years ago. The lightning was much better when i lived in NW Nassau. Out here its pretty rare. 

That is true. Suffolk in general feels like a different world compared to Queens (where I'm originally from) in terms of thunderstorms. Decent light shows are possible though, October 2015 was pretty epic & August 2016 was constant, although the actual storm was over CT.

The south shore is the absolute worst, however. I hate it.

6 minutes ago, Cfa said:

That is true. Suffolk in general feels like a different world compared to Queens (where I'm originally from) in terms of thunderstorms. Decent light shows are possible though, October 2015 was pretty epic & August 2016 was constant, although the actual storm was over CT.

The south shore is the absolute worst, however. I hate it.

I lived in Sayville for 10 years ending in 2005.  I recall many nice electrical storms with plenty of CTG lightning while I lived there.  It was also a good place for strong winds for synoptic scale events (noreasters, etc...).  It is a different world from other places in the metro area in terms of its weather.  On the other hand it sucked in the winter time with snow events while I lived there.  Having said that I would argue strongly that there is more snow with the present climate regime on virtually all of LI than where I live in eastern PA.  I have lost count of the number of KU events that have occurred there since I moved.

Just now, psv88 said:

Absurdly heavy rain now. 7" hour rates per the Davis. 

Heaviest rain I've seen since I've lived here. Just insane. Winds are howling now

0.45 in 15 min...

Pouring here too.   That first batch was weak sauce for my area. 

22 minutes ago, Tatamy said:

I lived in Sayville for 10 years ending in 2005.  I recall many nice electrical storms with plenty of CTG lightning while I lived there.  It was also a good place for strong winds for synoptic scale events (noreasters, etc...).  It is a different world from other places in the metro area in terms of its weather.  On the other hand it sucked in the winter time with snow events while I lived there.  Having said that I would argue strongly that there is more snow with the present climate regime on virtually all of LI than where I live in eastern PA.  I have lost count of the number of KU events that have occurred there since I moved.

I like Sayville, it's a nice little area. It's a little too close to the water for me, I'd be afraid of the flooding, and I can only imagine how strong those winds must've been during storms (especially Sandy) and flooding.

The present climate regime on seems to be more snow and less thunderstorms on Long Island. After 2012 it all went downhill in terms of thunderstorms, some years I could the number of thunderstorms on a single hand, and they were generally lackluster.

Archived