June 11-17th Severe Weather

snowlover2

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
Severe Thunderstorm Warning
National Weather Service Chicago/Romeoville Il
925 PM CDT SAT JUN 17 2017

The National Weather Service in Chicago has issued a

* Severe Thunderstorm Warning for...
  Southeastern Livingston County in central Illinois...
  Ford County in east central Illinois...
  Southwestern Iroquois County in east central Illinois...

* Until 1030 PM CDT

* At 924 PM CDT, a severe thunderstorm was located near Colfax, or 10
  miles southwest of Fairbury, moving east at 40 mph.

This is a very dangerous storm.

HAZARD...80 mph wind gusts.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...Flying debris will be dangerous to those caught without
           shelter. Mobile homes will be heavily damaged. Expect
           considerable damage to roofs, windows, and vehicles.
           Extensive tree damage and power outages are likely.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Followed the supercell from just north of town to southeast of Harmon.  It looked pretty decent for a short time a little east of Prophetstown with a nice RFD notch and some weak rotation.  For a very brief moment I actually thought the thing was gonna try to produce.  Shortly thereafter it became sort of shelfy looking.  Was still very impressive to look at, with a big fat/elongated shelf with rapidly rising motion as it trudged along.  If we had a little better low-level winds in place I have no doubt this thing would have dropped a fat cone while it was still discrete. 

North of Tampico.  

1zh1grl.jpg

This has been an interesting day for weather (IMBY especially), one of the few of this year. Got 4 thunderstorms and a lot of rain. One of the cells that started near Mildmay (6:40 pm) swiped me and as it did I was watching the sky closely to see if anything good was up. I noticed the weirdest swirling and erratic clouds since the memorable June 22, 2015 event. I didn't see clear rotation but broadly there probably was as the clouds were moving in different directions all over. There were a few points that I wondered if I was peering at a wall cloud or inflow channel.

I can't remember the last time I saw so many hook echoes in a cluster north of me, one or two of them looking like a Plains signature. Definitely a tornado somewhere. Northern Grey county went under a tornado warning twice.

Then the rain - it rained on and off 8 times in the last 24 hours which shows a wonderfully chaotic atmosphere. I can't remember having rain segments of that number before in a moist unstable regime here. Its absurd that a huge rain system is heading over here from MI after getting soaked.

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot to mention...

Was on the supercell that moved across Whiteside/Lee/DeKalb/Kane counties in N. IL, though I didn't get on it until DeKalb Co. Storm was fairly outflow dominant while I was on it, as well as before I got on it. Did have a couplet a few times, but all it produced was a wall cloud and nice structure.

2cadlj.jpg

Archived