• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season

17 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

So far good news if Euro is right.  It hits nobody through day 10.  The bad news is no Hispaniola to destroy it if it becomes a monster and heads for the Bahamas or Carolinas  

Water temps running at 29-30C over the Bahamas up into the Gulf stream. Weak shear out ahead. If Euro is even close to right, that would be an ugly setup. Upstream pattern over the US will be something to watch on all guidance around that time frame. 

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a report function, look to the right of "posted xx minutes ago" and you'll find it hiding in plain sight. 

Meanwhile, anyone else think that Potential 10 will be upgraded to a TS or hurricane once it cranks up a bit more?

But if not, then if the Cape Verde system reaches TD status, will it be actual 10, potential 11, actual 11? I am getting dizzy here.

Wild card is the TC in the West Pac. It's going to cause a major wave break and amplify the downstream pattern. Model skill tends to tank during one of these, so the details on the synoptic situation over the US may be more muddy than usual.

At any rate, 'tis the season for Cape Verde buzzsaws.

1 hour ago, StormchaserChuck said:

Big climo difference below and above 20N, something like 5x more likely to hit the US if below 20N at that longtitude.

Yeah the 20N 60W benchmark rule holds true more often than not....surprisingly good agreement with the Euro/GFS/CMC, at 216 hrs they all have the storm and not only that they are all within a hundred miles or so of each other with its location. Of course this will jump around run to run but that kind of agreement in that range even if for one run is crazy. 

I know it's hard for snow weenies to do, but I genuinely believe one's understanding of a given system is actively reduced by even looking at the CMC. It's in the same class as the NAM, but in the case of the CMC it's just too primitive and outdated. It's verification scores are godawful, about the worst of any global.

Has an odd habit of anomalously delivering super-strong landfalls to New England that don't verify, but gets people excitied. 

Far better to look at UKMET if you want to look outside the GFS/EC. 

00z EURO wants to add to the pain and suffering... homebrew tropical system it would appear at Day 7 in W GOM and through Day 9 is traversing the entire northern part of the GOM... but more rain likely for SE TX and W LA where they really don't need anymore this year

ETA:  00z EURO at 240... 941mb Hurricane Irma about to move into the Bahamas moving in a WNW direction

41 minutes ago, yoda said:

00z EURO wants to add to the pain and suffering... homebrew tropical system it would appear at Day 7 in W GOM and through Day 9 is traversing the entire northern part of the GOM... but more rain likely for SE TX and W LA where they really don't need anymore this year

ETA:  00z EURO at 240... 941mb Hurricane Irma about to move into the Bahamas moving in a WNW direction

931mb

4 minutes ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

Why are we taking about track after 240hrs. For god sakes the system has barely passed Cape Verde. There's not gonna be any sort of accurate track for several days yet.

Strongly disagree.  The pattern for an EC threat is very obvious several days out.  But most threats don't turn into actual landfalls.

It's perfectly reasonable to talk about autofish v. threat at this stage in the game.

10 minutes ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

Why are we taking about track after 240hrs. For god sakes the system has barely passed Cape Verde. There's not gonna be any sort of accurate track for several days yet.

That's why I long ago coined the phrase the "Cape Verde blues" because often times meteorologists spend 2 weeks or more watching the system developing and alerting clients about where it may go and assuming it will hit some Caribbean location or the US and many times it misses both, never develops into anything, or it does but the cycle doesn't time correctly and it ends up being a weak system when it does hit.  When it's all over you have a case of the Cape Verde blues because you wasted all that time and effort for no reason.  I think I came up with it after Isabel which may have been the most disappointing Cape Verde system ever as far as end impacts.  I was literally working two jobs.  My non weather job at the time from 9-5 and then my meteorology job from 6-10pm every night for 2 weeks and thinking NYC was going to be hit for sure about 5 days out then it more or less hit NC as a bastardized version of its former self

Archived