Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boy, the models are just not too hot for anything the rest of the month.  They continue to show a series of solid waves moving off Africa, but they all gradually diminish to nothing as they traverse the stable MDR.  Maybe we can get something else to defy the models and pop outside the MDR, like Gert.

Perhaps this will be another season with a weak peak, but a big October.

Having read the NHC disco i think they also agree its an open wave but are just  saying  its a depression for  continuity. They also say its quite  possible it will never regenerate. Another weak so called storm dying  over open tropical water.

1 hour ago, ldub23 said:

Perhaps  it will but it still wasnt a big deal at all considering  its peak season.

You can quote me on this but I am believer in the idea of peak season having shifted forward about a month. We shall see, and especially in a season without ENSO positive conditions.

58 minutes ago, Vice-Regent said:

You can quote me on this but I am believer in the idea of peak season having shifted forward about a month. We shall see, and especially in a season without ENSO positive conditions.

Forward? I'd wager October has been the biggest month in the past several seasons.

Forward? I'd wager October has been the biggest month in the past several seasons.

I think the poster meant October. Just for clarification, folks should know that, with respect to time, back means later and forward means sooner for posterity.

I don't think peak season has shifted back a full month, but it may have shifted back a few weeks over the past decade. Might be something to look into when I have the time to break down seasonal trends since 2007.

12 minutes ago, ldub23 said:

slp8.png

4 at once. that would mean the pattern has finally changed from the  multiyear dullness.

That last one just off the African coast being at 20N well before 40W would almost certainly be a fish storm. Correct?

26 minutes ago, bigtenfan said:

That last one just off the African coast being at 20N well before 40W would almost certainly be a fish storm. Correct?

100%, especially with that other  low in the mid-atlantic weakening the ridge.

On 8/19/2017 at 6:32 PM, ldub23 said:

Having read the NHC disco i think they also agree its an open wave but are just  saying  its a depression for  continuity. They also say its quite  possible it will never regenerate. Another weak so called storm dying  over open tropical water.

How things have changed within a few days

The warm waters of the gulf will do this

33 minutes ago, eurojosh said:

D10 Euro and GFS both have a TC in the Western North Atlantic - GFS receives, Euro seems less likely to. Canadian has two, but prob not as reliable. Worth watching but not yet.

If that trough really digs around Great Lakes like euro suggests with that high pressure off in northwestern Atlantic, gonna be fun 10-12 days coming. 

On 8/19/2017 at 2:03 PM, hawkeye_wx said:

Boy, the models are just not too hot for anything the rest of the month.  They continue to show a series of solid waves moving off Africa, but they all gradually diminish to nothing as they traverse the stable MDR.  Maybe we can get something else to defy the models and pop outside the MDR, like Gert.

We certainly got that.  If a weak system can make it to a more favorable spot close to home, it can blow up in a hurry.

Archived