• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season

Just now, eurojosh said:

I know this is model watching, and no other model shows it, but for 4 runs in a row the GFS has had a pretty significant tropical system hitting anywhere between FL and MA just beyond truncation. Thoughts?

Thoughts are that it shows a nice little Hurricane or tropical storm about 5 days out down around Barbados.  that's a pretty good location for the EC...well my expectations are pretty low considering that all I really care about is swell generation.. so having a cane lurking around in that part of the atlantic means that it is far enough south that even a hard recurve would still produce swell..at any rate, five days out is close enough for me to be interested. 

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Snow88 said:

20108252_1824849970863989_4988355023822683839_n.jpg

Definitly possible. The early Cape Verde season is a great sign even if it's still somewhat hostile down there. Also the relatively stable eastern trough position this summer screams tropical threat later on. I wouldn't be surprised to see a cane make a run at the east coast this season. Most likely impact areas NC and eastern NE

• 2 weeks later...

1) I was wondering if this were out in the Atlantic, would this have been classified as a tropical storm without the radar data?

2) When was the last time a tropical storm made landfall in the United States without a reconnaissance aircraft going through the storm? Julia of 2016 would be an example, but the center was inland when it was first classified.

7 hours ago, tmagan said:

1) I was wondering if this were out in the Atlantic, would this have been classified as a tropical storm without the radar data?

2) When was the last time a tropical storm made landfall in the United States without a reconnaissance aircraft going through the storm? Julia of 2016 would be an example, but the center was inland when it was first classified.

I think they are naming way too many things. Emily might  add .0001 to the ace. You can make an argument we should be at  0/0/0 now. Arlene was the "most  impressive" but  it formed over water considered way too cold for a tropical system.

On 7/18/2017 at 4:36 PM, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Definitly possible. The early Cape Verde season is a great sign even if it's still somewhat hostile down there. Also the relatively stable eastern trough position this summer screams tropical threat later on. I wouldn't be surprised to see a cane make a run at the east coast this season. Most likely impact areas NC and eastern NE

Models best get busy  showing something between 8/8 and  8/15. Most likely right now  is  no canes in that time period.

The Euro and some of the GFS ensemble members have something like a 30kt - 50 kt low in the northern islands (Martinique to Puerto Rico) at a range of several days out. The last 2 Euro runs have had a low in the Bay of Campeche. This Euro forecast has something substantial, could be indicating a Cat 1 hurricane. At this range of course, you look for trends moreso than anything exact.

JLna6rY.png

The 6z gfs now takes it around 300 miles or so off the east coast of Florida to just near the outer banks to just off the east coast not appearing to actually make landfall. Obviously this will probably  change with each run for probably the next 5-7 days or so before it zones in on a solution

1 hour ago, bigtenfan said:

The 6z gfs now takes it around 300 miles or so off the east coast of Florida to just near the outer banks to just off the east coast not appearing to actually make landfall. Obviously this will probably  change with each run for probably the next 5-7 days or so before it zones in on a solution

I'll take an Earl type track. But let's put away the jump to conclusions mat until we at least have a true came to track as opposed to a small struggling storm barely deserving of a name 

15 hours ago, Snow88 said:

Noaa updated their tropical outlook . The tropics should get active very soon.

I disagree totally with them. Models show nothing for the next  10 days and they do show  more east pac activity. Tropics wont get active very soon.

Archived