Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Summer 2017 Banter Thread

dmillz25

6 minutes ago, Rjay said:

Man.  What a storm 1/26-28/11 was around the area.  KNYC reported >.30 liquid for a few hours straight.  BDR was .43 one hour.  Islip reported 5" of snow one hour.   

we got rates close to that in feb 2014. it's so easy to get heavy snow now. lol. a little more blocking and last march would have been a monster

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

we got rates close to that in feb 2014. it's so easy to get heavy snow now. lol. a little more blocking and last march would have been a monster

I remember Doug and I were talking that morning and we both said it was probably the heaviest snow we've seen.  The rates might have been eclipsed the Jan 26-27, 2011 storm here.  It was close.  

44 minutes ago, Rjay said:

The EPS is great recognizing hemispheric patterns before other ensembles.  My only issue with it is that the mean seems to follow the OP around like a lost puppy with specific storm threats in the medium range since its upgrades over the last few years.  

Yeah, the EPS and OP are fairly tightly clustered with storm tracks 0-120 hrs. We may be bumping up against the maximum amount of accuracy we can get on storm tracks. Seems like it will be very difficult to eliminate the 60-120 mile track errors that are common with some storms like today and January 2015. I guess the good news is that a 60-120 mile shift will change the amounts but the theme should be similar. More or less rain or snow... but it does actually rain or snow. When I was growing up in the 70's and 80's, 125 -250+mile  track errors were common. So many times it didn't even rain or snow at all compared to short to medium term forecasts. Complete busts like January 2000 were more common as opposed to partial busts of recent times.

12 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

march 2001 is still the worst for me. i was in high school and kids i barely knew were calling my house asking if school would be closed

There were signs a couple of days in advance that the worst would be north of NYC. What happened February (President's Day (Week)) 1989 would have shut down internet boards.

26 minutes ago, tmagan said:

There were signs a couple of days in advance that the worst would be north of NYC. What happened February (President's Day (Week)) 1989 would have shut down internet boards.

Were there 1 or 2 snowstorms that hit that week to the south of the DC-BOS corridor?

I was 6.

14 minutes ago, Rjay said:

Were there 1 or 2 snowstorms that hit that week to the south of the DC-BOS corridor?

I was 6.

Only 1 as I recall. The heaviest was always supposed to be south, but not even getting a flake sucked big time. Dec 89 unexpected driving rainstorm put the icing on a crappy snow year ( minus the thanksgiving storm)

Name the year/storm

CRIPPLING AND POTENTIALLY HISTORIC BLIZZARD TO IMPACT THE AREA FROM LATE MONDAY INTO TUESDAY...

...BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM MONDAY TO MIDNIGHT EST TUESDAY NIGHT...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN NEW YORK HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARD WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM MONDAY TO MIDNIGHT EST TUESDAY NIGHT. THE BLIZZARD WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* LOCATIONS...NEW YORK CITY AND SURROUNDING IMMEDIATE SUBURBS...LONG ISLAND...AND MOST OF SOUTHERN CONNECTICUT.

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW...WITH BLIZZARD CONDITIONS.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 20 TO 30 INCHES...WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS POSSIBLE. SNOWFALL RATES OF 2 TO 4 INCHES PER HOUR EXPECTED LATE MONDAY NIGHT INTO TUESDAY MORNING.

* WINDS...NORTH 30 TO 40 MPH WITH GUSTS 55 TO 65 MPH...STRONGEST ACROSS EASTERN LONG ISLAND.

* VISIBILITIES...ONE QUARTER MILE OR LESS AT TIMES.

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE LOWER 20S.

* TIMING...LIGHT SNOW WILL BEGIN MONDAY MORNING...WITH ACCUMULATIONS OF 1 TO 3 INCHES POSSIBLE BY THE EVENING RUSH. SNOW WILL PICK UP IN INTENSITY MONDAY EVENING...WITH THE HEAVIEST SNOW AND STRONGEST WINDS FROM ABOUT MIDNIGHT MONDAY NIGHT INTO TUESDAY AFTERNOON.

* IMPACTS...LIFE-THREATENING CONDITIONS AND EXTREMELY DANGEROUS TRAVEL DUE TO HEAVY SNOWFALL AND STRONG WINDS...WITH WHITEOUT CONDITIONS. SECONDARY AND TERTIARY ROADS MAY BECOME IMPASSABLE. STRONG WINDS MAY DOWN POWER LINES AND TREE LIMBS. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... 

11 minutes ago, Rjay said:

Name the year/storm

CRIPPLING AND POTENTIALLY HISTORIC BLIZZARD TO IMPACT THE AREA FROM LATE MONDAY INTO TUESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN NEW YORK HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARD WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM MONDAY TO MIDNIGHT EST TUESDAY NIGHT. THE BLIZZARD WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* LOCATIONS...NEW YORK CITY AND SURROUNDING IMMEDIATE SUBURBS...LONG ISLAND...AND MOST OF SOUTHERN CONNECTICUT.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 20 TO 30 INCHES...WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS POSSIBLE. SNOWFALL RATES OF 2 TO 4 INCHES PER HOUR EXPECTED LATE MONDAY NIGHT INTO TUESDAY MORNING.

* WINDS...NORTH 30 TO 40 MPH WITH GUSTS 55 TO 65 MPH...STRONGEST ACROSS EASTERN LONG ISLAND.

* TIMING...LIGHT SNOW WILL BEGIN MONDAY MORNING...WITH ACCUMULATIONS OF 1 TO 3 INCHES POSSIBLE BY THE EVENING RUSH. SNOW WILL PICK UP IN INTENSITY MONDAY EVENING...WITH THE HEAVIEST SNOW AND STRONGEST WINDS FROM ABOUT MIDNIGHT MONDAY NIGHT INTO TUESDAY AFTERNOON.

* IMPACTS...LIFE-THREATENING CONDITIONS AND EXTREMELY DANGEROUS TRAVEL DUE TO HEAVY SNOWFALL AND STRONG WINDS...WITH WHITEOUT CONDITIONS. SECONDARY AND TERTIARY ROADS MAY BECOME IMPASSABLE. STRONG WINDS MAY DOWN POWER LINES AND TREE LIMBS. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... 

I hate you

16 minutes ago, Rjay said:

Name the year/storm

**** this storm 

1 hour ago, Rjay said:

Name the year/storm

So close yet so far, not a total fail for us in Nassau though. Unfortunately I was in the city and watched that band erode as it headed west. If it weren't for the initial precip in front of the main storm it was 4" in the park 

7 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

So close yet so far, not a total fail for us in Nassau though. Unfortunately I was in the city and watched that band erode as it headed west. If it weren't for the initial precip in front of the main storm it was 4" in the park 

0.00" here with a 12 hr forecast of 24-36"

96 was a cool summer, I remember only b/c it was after the great winter of 1995-96. It felt like it would never end, even the summer to follow never really warmed up. After that it was the first time I've seen people in the city actually own snow blowers ...only to hardly see snow again for the next 4 yrs or so. At least anything memorable enough for my vague memory can recall.

3 hours ago, forkyfork said:

i just looked at 1996 data and ewr had a grand total of four days at or above 90 in JJA with a summer high temp of 91.9. lol. normal is the new cold

This was the warmer climate version of 1996. Both this year and 1996 had the warmest temperatures before June 15th.

6/13  101 in 2017  97 in 1961 

95 in 1984

5/17  94 in 2017  90 in 1974  88 in 1977
5/18 97 in 2017  86 in 1989  86 in 1986+ 
5/19 96 in 2017  95 in 1962  94 in 1996 
5/20 97 in 1996  91 in 1959  89 in 1962

17 hours ago, Rjay said:

I remember Doug and I were talking that morning and we both said it was probably the heaviest snow we've seen.  The rates might have been eclipsed the Jan 26-27, 2011 storm here.  It was close.  

The Feb 2014 storm will always be a four letter word to me. Such a horrible tease. The incredibly heavy snow lasted by me for maybe an hour before going to rain on the immediate coast and staying snow literally on and north of Sunrise Highway. You had maybe 5" or 6" more snow than me. 

1/27/11 was one of my all time favorites for intensity of snow. It was literally blinding for several hours. I ended up with 16". 

5 hours ago, dWave said:

Anyone remember the epic downpours in 2007. 10 yrs ago today. I remember all transportation came to a halt. I just turned around and went home to see my basement was flooded.

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20170808/jackson-heights/august-8-2007-subway-flooding-brooklyn-tornado?_ga=2.259192010.1511436724.1502195187-396711267.1502195187

That was the only time that a rotating meso passed directly over my location in Long Beach. One of the coolest things that I have seen.

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
TORNADO WARNING
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE UPTON NY
650 AM EDT WED AUG 8 2007

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN UPTON NY HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...
  SOUTHERN QUEENS COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST NEW YORK...
  SOUTHWESTERN NASSAU COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST NEW YORK...
  EASTERN KINGS COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST NEW YORK...

* UNTIL 715 AM EDT...

* AT 644 AM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A
  SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO NEAR CANARSIE...
  OR ABOUT NEAR CROWN HEIGHTS...MOVING EAST AT 15 MPH.

* THE TORNADO WILL BE NEAR...
  JAMAICA BY 700 AM...
  KENNEDY AIRPORT BY 705 AM...
  CEDARHURST BY 710 AM...
  WOODMERE...VALLEY STREAM...LYNBROOK AND ATLANTIC BEACH BY 715 AM.

WHEN A TORNADO WARNING IS ISSUED BASED ON DOPPLER RADAR...IT MEANS
THAT STRONG ROTATION HAS BEEN DETECTED IN THE STORM. A TORNADO MAY
ALREADY BE ON THE GROUND...OR IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP SHORTLY. IF YOU
ARE IN THE PATH OF THIS DANGEROUS STORM...MOVE INDOORS AND TO THE
LOWEST LEVEL OF THE BUILDING. STAY AWAY FROM WINDOWS. IF DRIVING...DO
NOT SEEK SHELTER UNDER A HIGHWAY OVERPASS.

HEAVY RAINFALL MAY OBSCURE THIS TORNADO. TAKE COVER NOW IF YOU WAIT
TO SEE OR HEAR IT COMING...IT MAY BE TOO LATE TO GET TO A SAFE PLACE.

2 hours ago, dWave said:

96 was a cool summer, I remember only b/c it was after the great winter of 1995-96. It felt like it would never end, even the summer to follow never really warmed up. After that it was the first time I've seen people in the city actually own snow blowers ...only to hardly see snow again for the next 4 yrs or so. At least anything memorable enough for my vague memory can recall.

96 though I believe was warm compared to 2000 and 2003.  It didn't have any 90 degree days really til late August but overall I think it was milder and didn't crack the top 10 in June July or August.  July 2000 was the first June July or August month to make the top 10 coldest list in NYC since the 1940s I think  

17 hours ago, Rjay said:

I was 6.

Two.  Only one was a bust for us though.  The first one was maybe around 2/18 and was an overrunning event that was way south, even south of DCA and hit mostly ORF and parts of NC.  The 2nd one busted for basically everyone north of RIC other than the immediate coast of MD/SE NJ/ERN LI and the Cape.  

the coolest summers since 1950 in Central Park...2009 comes in first...2000 has the coolest July and coolest, warmest 30 day period...2004 had only two 90 degrees or higher days...

year....June...July....Aug...Ave...annual max warmest 30days total 90+ days

2009...67.5...72.7...75.7...72.0...........92..............76.6.............7.....max in apr/aug

2000...71.2...72.3...72.7...72.1...........93..............72.7.............7.....max in May

1992...70.3...74.2...73.0...72.5...........93..............74.4.............9.....max in May/July

1965...70.5...74.3...73.2...72.7...........95..............75.7...........15.....max in June

1950...70.3...75.0...73.1...72.8...........95..............75.0.............6.....max in June

1956...71.4...72.9...74.2...72.8...........99..............75.1...........11.....max in June

1958...67.2...76.1...75.2...72.8...........93..............76.4.............6.....max in July...

1962...72.5...74.0...72.4...73.0...........99..............75.6...........18.....max in May

1963...70.9...76.4...72.1...73.1...........98..............76.5...........16.....max in July

2004...71.2...74.5...74.2...73.3...........91..............74.8.............2.....max in June

1964...71.6...75.4...72.9...73.3...........99..............76.4...........23.....max  on June30th-July1st...

1996...71.4...73.4...74.5...73.4...........96..............74.9.............3.....max in May

1986...71.6...76.0...73.1...73.6...........98..............76.3...........11.....max in July

1975...70.5...75.8...74.4...73.6...........98..............77.2.............8.....max in Aug.

1989...72.0...75.0...74.0...73.7...........96..............75.8...........16.....max in July

1960...71.8...74.6...74.9...73.8...........91..............75.0.............5.....max in Aug.

1976...73.2...74.8...74.3...74.1...........96..............75.8...........15.....max in April

Archived