Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer 2017 Banter Thread

dmillz25

On July 21, 2017 at 0:35 PM, Paragon said:

Thanks Forky!  By the way did you have a chance to look at the data for KIFP (Bullhead City, Arizona) for the night between July 15-16?  There was a huge heatburst there and they hit 136 degrees!  Was this confirmed?

Here is the data on wunderground.

https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KIFP/2017/07/15/DailyHistory.html?req_city=Bullhead City&req_state=AZ&reqdb.zip=86439&reqdb.magic=4&reqdb.wmo=99999

Temperature  
Mean Temperature 114 °F -  
Max Temperature 136 °F 106 °F 136 °F (2017)
Min Temperature 91 °F 85 °F 72 °F (1993)

https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KIFP/2017/07/16/DailyHistory.html?req_city=Bullhead City&req_state=AZ&reqdb.zip=86439&reqdb.magic=4&reqdb.wmo=99999

Temperature  
Mean Temperature 112 °F -  
Max Temperature 131 °F 106 °F 131 °F (2017)
Min Temperature 93 °F 85 °F 74 °F (1993)

From the data it looks like the heat burst started at 7:55 PM and from there until  1:15 AM it was over 130 degrees!  What a massive and long lasting heat burst!  By looking at past heat bursts that have occurred in different regions, they always seem to occur late at night- any idea why that might be?

Surprised no one is talking about this.  Is there any PWS around this station to back up this?

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Fantom X said:

Surprised no one is talking about this.  Is there any PWS around this station to back up this?

If the temperature is confirmed wouldn't that make it the warmest temperature recorded on Earth? I'm not sure why we haven't heard more about this. 

CFS is still BN on a 45-day basis for us.   Only heat in August is centered around the 21st.. apparently---using 10-day blocks.

However the monthlies are all AN through April 2018.    Only hints of BN for the winter months from SE Canadian regions paying us a visit  maybe, if they can be expanded south and west, as happened in this March period, which was supposed to be AN.

4 hours ago, Sundog said:

If the temperature is confirmed wouldn't that make it the warmest temperature recorded on Earth? I'm not sure why we haven't heard more about this. 

There's been other heat bursts like that.  Some of the readings have been even more impressive than that but none have been verified. 

6 hours ago, Fantom X said:

I checked and none of them recorded anything even close to 136°F. The closest station had a high of 116.8°F, it's about a mile or so from the airport.

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KAZBULLH6#history/s20170715/e20170715/mdaily

I guess it's possible that it was extremely localized. It'd be cool to have a heat burst verify over an actual ASOS station.

11 hours ago, WeatherFeen2000 said:

Totally off topic but as I was looking through those pictures I didn't see a single car older than just a couple of years. A bunch of other things also make it seem like that's a successful, modern city rather than the run down Soviet era crap that we used to see.

14 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The minor coastal flooding last night flooded the seats closest to stage at the Joan Jet concert at Jones Beach.

I posted pics of that a couple years ago.  The flooding was worse that night so they closed off that section.  

On 7/24/2017 at 8:54 AM, gravitylover said:

Totally off topic but as I was looking through those pictures I didn't see a single car older than just a couple of years. A bunch of other things also make it seem like that's a successful, modern city rather than the run down Soviet era crap that we used to see.

I think a lot of countries are nicer than the government wants us to think. It's all propaganda Russia is richer than ever and the wealthiest man on this planet is Russian. It is president Putin worth around 200 billion!

34 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Heading down to New Orleans on Friday afternoon for a bachelor party weekend. Expecting to really feel the heat and humidity. Anyone have any tips or places we must go? Never been.

Pure tropical weather now. Good luck. 

Coop's Place on Decatur - hole in wall across from Margaritaville but great gumbo and jambalaya. 

The Old Coffee Pot for breakfast on St Peters. 

And can't leave without Central Grocery on Decatur near Coops for muffuletta. 

4 hours ago, Rjay said:

I posted pics of that a couple years ago.  The flooding was worse that night so they closed off that section.  

Yeah, it's a great concert venue right on the bay with several possible weather impacts.

1 hour ago, psv88 said:

Been there for many shows when that section flooded out. 

The last time that I had seats within a few rows of the stage was a while back for Beck and Ben Folds Five. One of the best shows that I saw there but no coastal flooding. Probably my favorite concert venue.

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

The last time that I had seats within a few rows of the stage was a while back for Beck and Ben Folds Five. One of the best shows that I saw there but no coastal flooding. Probably my favorite concert venue.

Phish used to play there every summer. Then the cops cracked down and made it unpleasant for everyone. Now phish is at MSG for 13 straight shows. Don't miss jones beach. And it always rains

I miss the days when it was open water between the seats and the stage at Jones Beach. They didn't cover it until the late 80's or early 90's, I don't remember exactly when because I didn't live here for a while but I was quite surprised when I came back and went to a show there and it was done. The first show I ever saw there was the Beach Boys and we paddled in on surfboards and hung out in the water right in front of the stage. Good times :) 

Hey LBSF what's the water temp at Jones Beach now?

18 minutes ago, doncat said:

Don't know if it's  the upgrade or what, but the gfs had been bad the last several days with temps, at least locally (too warm).

Yeah, the upgraded GFS has a warm bias. It had upper 90's for Friday a few days ago.

gfs_t2max_nyc_23.thumb.png.3ef5862bbcb75df37925867e91a8a7b9.png

Archived