Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer 2017 Banter Thread

dmillz25

5 hours ago, CIK62 said:

Next 8 days jumps to +11degs. (87 vs. 76).  Is the average low really 68 in Central Park, at mid-summer anymore?

This means we will be near +4.1degs. by the 26th.

That's surprising well above what I would've expected given that highs are likely to stay below 95 and it's the hottest time of year.

Seems we had lower departures in the past with much greater max temps.

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SnoSki14 said:

That's surprising well above what I would've expected given that highs are likely to stay below 95 and it's the hottest time of year.

Seems we had lower departures in the past with much greater max temps.

If we actually got the average low on a consistent basis people would be screaming about "fall like" weather in mid summer. 

8 minutes ago, Sundog said:

If we actually got the average low on a consistent basis people would be screaming about "fall like" weather in mid summer. 

i would have to do some work to quantify this but i feel like 70+ dewpoints are much easier to come by these days than when i was a kid

20 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

i would have to do some work to quantify this but i feel like 70+ dewpoints are much easier to come by these days than when i was a kid

4 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Agree 100% and it will only get worse IMO

About a 4 degree rise in summer dewpoints since 1980. I think the more clouds and humidity are why the minimums have been rising faster than the maxes.

2016DewPoint_albanyny_en_title_lg.thumb.jpg.7ea4e0d59e401a7e99e4d9dde203b687.jpg

They are all here

http://www.climatecentral.org/gallery/graphics/summers-getting-muggier-as-dewpoint-temp-rises

A product of warmer ocean temps I assume. Also, maybe that's a factor in warmer overnight lows, which seem to be pushing positive departures more than the daytime highs.

Consistently very warm as opposed to short bursts of extreme heat.

1 hour ago, JerseyWx said:

I can see a big Towering Cumulus cloud out to my east.  Is that the one psv mentioned was over the island?  I'm pretty high up and have a clear view of the open sky to the east.

From what I can gather, I must have been seeing the one that was over Long Island.  It's interesting to see clouds that far away.

1 hour ago, JerseyWx said:

From what I can gather, I must have been seeing the one that was over Long Island.  It's interesting to see clouds that far away.

Its amazing how far away you can view clouds/storms.  A few years back I was sitting on the beach in the evening at Tobay (eastern Nassau) and was watching lighting out over the ocean way off in the distance. It was the only storm around on an otherwise clear as could be night. I looked at the radar on my phone and the cell was way south of Montauk. I estimated it was at least 120 miles away from my location maybe even 150. 

It's awful sitting on the subway platform right now waiting for the subway. The heat index down here has to be well over 100. Sweat is pouring down my face despite wearing shorts and a tank top. I do not and will not ever understand why people pay millions to live on this island. Get me back to my sea breeze 

34 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

It's awful sitting on the subway platform right now waiting for the subway. The heat index down here has to be well over 100. Sweat is pouring down my face despite wearing shorts and a tank top. I do not and will not ever understand why people pay millions to live on this island. Get me back to my sea breeze 

I'm with you 

6 hours ago, tdp146 said:

Its amazing how far away you can view clouds/storms.  A few years back I was sitting on the beach in the evening at Tobay (eastern Nassau) and was watching lighting out over the ocean way off in the distance. It was the only storm around on an otherwise clear as could be night. I looked at the radar on my phone and the cell was way south of Montauk. I estimated it was at least 120 miles away from my location maybe even 150. 

I agree with that.  Very interesting scenario, and pretty impressive.  

The nice part about my view is that I have a really wide open clearing to the east.  With other parts of Butler, and most towns in the metro for that matter, if you look up in the sky you can only see straight up and not very far because of trees and other obstructions (excluding mountainous areas of course).  Being that I'm at the top of a very gradual hill though, you can see clouds very far out into the eastern sky, and apparently all the way out to Long Island.

3 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

I agree with that.  Very interesting scenario, and pretty impressive.  

The nice part about my view is that I have a really wide open clearing to the east.  With other parts of Butler, and most towns in the metro for that matter, if you look up in the sky you can only see straight up and not very far because of trees and other obstructions (excluding mountainous areas of course).  Being that I'm at the top of a very gradual hill though, you can see clouds very far out into the eastern sky, and apparently all the way out to Long Island.

You guys are cool

11 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

I keep looking for 7/18/97 but can't find the radar. Pretty sure forky posted it before

I can't find it.   I'm coming close but can't get to our region.  

https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/current/mcview.phtml?prod=usrad&java=script&mode=archive&frames=13&interval=5&year=1997&month=7&day=18&hour=17&minute=40

http://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/imagearchive/

Archived