Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer 2017 Banter Thread

dmillz25

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, bluewave said:

22nd anniversary of our 120 heat index. Philly made it to 128. The leading edge of that WAA produced one of the strongest Northeast derechos on record.

https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KLGA/1995/7/15/DailyHistory.html?HideSpecis=1

3:00 PM 102.9 °F 120.3 °F 77.0 °F 44%        

4:00 PM 102.0 °F 127.9 °F 82.0 °F

53%

https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KPHL/1995/7/15/DailyHistory.html?req_city=Philadelphia&req_state=PA&req_statename=&reqdb.zip=19019&reqdb.magic=1&reqdb.wmo=99999

Wow, what the hell was I doing on that day? I know I was a teen with no ac then, probably hopping in a fire hydrant. 

Philly had an 83 dewpoint. It seems close to impossible to get such extreme heat (100+) with extreme humidity in these parts. It takes everything lining up to get triple digits, humidity that high would hold temps down from max potential. That must of been some air mass. I can remember one time I forget the year with something similar,  I went to a city pool the line was insane, ppl were passing out standing in the sun, the staff started hosing down the lines to keep cool. That pool water temp was disgustingly warm too. People soup. 

5 minutes ago, dWave said:

Wow, what the hell was I doing on that day? I know I was a teen with no ac then, probably hopping in a fire hydrant. 

Philly had an 83 dewpoint. It seems close to impossible to get such extreme heat (100+) with extreme humidity in these parts. It takes everything lining up to get triple digits, humidity that high would hold temps down from max potential. That must of been some air mass. I can remember one time I forget the year with something similar,  I went to a city pool the line was insane, ppl were passing out standing in the sun, the staff started hosing down the lines to keep cool. That pool water temp was disgustingly warm too. People soup. 

Hopefully it never happens again!

3 hours ago, dWave said:

That heatwave set the record for the highest heat index ever in North America. Appleton, WI had a 148 heat index. The heatwave originated over the Iowa corn belt which was wet right before the heatwave began. The previous earlier historic heatwaves going back to the 30's were during record droughts. Not easy to record a 90 dewpoint with temps over 100 in North America.

5:00 PM 100.9 °F 148.5 °F 90.0 °F 71% 29.83 in 10.0 mi SW 15.0 mph - N/A   Scattered Clouds
  METAR KATW 132200Z 23013KT 10SM SCT200 38/32 A2983 RMK SLPNO T03830322

43 minutes ago, bluewave said:

That heatwave set the record for the highest heat index ever in North America. Appleton, WI had a 148 heat index. The heatwave originated over the Iowa corn belt which was wet right before the heatwave began. The previous earlier historic heatwaves going back to the 30's were during record droughts. Not easy to record a 90 dewpoint with temps over 100 in North America.

5:00 PM 100.9 °F 148.5 °F 90.0 °F 71% 29.83 in 10.0 mi SW 15.0 mph - N/A   Scattered Clouds
  METAR KATW 132200Z 23013KT 10SM SCT200 38/32 A2983 RMK SLPNO T03830322

Oh **** no! I would be in the pool or inside in the ac all day with that

2 minutes ago, WeatherFeen2000 said:

So don't leave!  I doubt we'll get 100 here! Maybe suburbs like Nanuet Rockland county or Middletown New York  but Central Park is doubtful!

Nah 100 to me isn't that big. Maybe a tropical storm would piss me off or a snowstorm but that's why I don't travel in the winter 

3 minutes ago, dmillz25 said:

Nah 100 to me isn't that big. Maybe a tropical storm would piss me off or a snowstorm but that's why I don't travel in the winter 

Same here man I went on my honeymoon for Christmas and I didn't miss no snowstorms I was like heck yeah! I feel a big one coming this February I mean big 40 inch !

4 minutes ago, dmillz25 said:

Funny, when I was in college in Maryland I used to come home to storm/ snow storm chase. The one screw up I had was chasing Isable home. Not too exciting up here but a major damaging wind event down in Md. when I got back to school there were huge trees down on campus. My roommates said the wind was incredible. Should have stayed down there!  

2 hours ago, CIK62 said:

Next 8 days jumps to +11degs. (87 vs. 76).  Is the average low really 68 in Central Park, at mid-summer anymore?

This means we will be near +4.1degs. by the 26th.

Yeah the 1981-2010 Central Park summer avgs always seemed a little lower than I imagined an NYC summer.  Maxes out at 84/69.  I think it was the only site that actually got cooler than the previous 30 yr normal. (for July)  I know it used to max out at 85/70, and before that 86/69. LGA gets to 86/70. If  you follow the progression of normal through the big cities DC to NY the LGA avg fits in. The Park's peak avgs is the same as JFK (but JFK stay there at 84/69 for a shorter time)

3 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

I hate the humidity otherwise I enjoy all of the seasons and the weather that each season has, bring it on. 

I like all the seasons as well and what they have to offer.  Nothing like crisp fall nights watching HS football.  Still, summer is my favorite.  I love the heat and long days/nights.  I can deal with the humidity, but prefer it to be low.

15 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

I like all the seasons as well and what they have to offer.  Nothing like crisp fall nights watching HS football.  Still, summer is my favorite.  I love the heat and long days/nights.  I can deal with the humidity, but prefer it to be low.

Yea, fall is my favorite and at that point there's all the guessing and anticipation of what the winter will deliver. 

5 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Yea, fall is my favorite and at that point there's all the guessing and anticipation of what the winter will deliver. 

Part of what got me into weather was tracking Fall frost.  Watching the foliage change is also nice.

10 years ago today.

A cluster of heavy thunderstorms produced torrential rain that resulted in widespread and significant flash flooding across the region. Maximum 1 hour rainfall rates were estimated at 2 to 3 inches. The storm total rainfall for this event ranged from around 3 to 6 inches. Nassau Community College measured 5.18 inches. Other amounts included 4.20 inches in Holtsville and 3.35 inches in Fresh Meadows.
Thunderstorms produced many frequent and intense lightning strikes that resulted in more than 20,000 customers without power across portions of Long Island, as reported by the Long Island Power Authority.
A severe thunderstorm produced an EF1 tornado in East Islip Terrace.

15 hours ago, Cfa said:

Love summer, love heat, love convection, love tropical humidity and tropical cyclones...

Hate cold, hate short days, indifferent towards snow, if I moved I wouldn't miss it, but while I'm here I'll "enjoy" it.

Love summer, love heat, love convection, love tropical humidity and tropical cyclones, Love the beach, Love gardening, Love being outside

Love cold (in winter), not a fan of short days, Love snow (in winter), Love skiing/snowboarding, Love being outside.

Years ago I was talking to a guy on ski lift in Vermont. I think he had the dream scenario. He was semi-retired and had a condo in Stowe Vermont and a Condo somewhere on the beach in Florida. He traveled back and forth on Jet blue depending on what he felt like doing.. Surfing or Skiing, cold or hot, beach or mountains. . 

33 minutes ago, tdp146 said:

Love summer, love heat, love convection, love tropical humidity and tropical cyclones, Love the beach, Love gardening, Love being outside

Love cold (in winter), not a fan of short days, Love snow (in winter), Love skiing/snowboarding, Love being outside.

Years ago I was talking to a guy on ski lift in Vermont. I think he had the dream scenario. He was semi-retired and had a condo in Stowe Vermont and a Condo somewhere on the beach in Florida. He traveled back and forth on Jet blue depending on what he felt like doing.. Surfing or Skiing, cold or hot, beach or mountains. . 

Sounds about right to me. Though I would change Florida to San Diego for waves and Mamouth for Stowe for snow. 

Definitly has the feel of a pop up convection day today. Clouds are building already on the sea breeze front. Very Florida out there today

Archived