SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Summer 2017 Banter Thread

dmillz25

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still would like to go to Montana honestly, but I'd be leaving a lot of friends and family behind.  It's not practical at this point anyway with work, etc.

The Rockies in the western part of the state is what I would be looking at though.  There's just so many small mountain towns tucked away in that region.  I enjoy the heat, but the Summers out there aren't that bad, depending on elevation of course.  All of Montana is going to get hot later this week, and areas in the Great Plains might see 100° or even higher.

11 hours ago, psv88 said:

Read the whole thread. People were complaining about infrastructure and why it is so old in the area. I said it won't be improved unless taxes are raised or spending on public employees is cut. 

Bluewave is proposing a tax increase, which is fine. People can complain all they want about the need for infrastructure improvements but nothing will be done unless everyone pays for it. 

And to your point (which didn't address my post), I will be leaving the area hopefully within the year. I'm leaving mainly for family reasons, but I certainly won't miss taking it up the rear when my property tax bill comes.

New Yorkers have this idea that they should pay such high taxes because other places with lower taxes suck, etc. however, I have many friends who left ny to Virginia, SC, FL, who are very happy and don't miss ny at all. 

When i leave I will miss many things, but I will be happy to leave high taxes, terrible traffic, and crumbling infrastructure. I personally don't dislike living here, but I can't stand people who complain about the crumbling infrastructure yet are unwilling to pay/sacrifice the costs to improve it.

Like I said, NY metro is one of the most expensive parts of the country to live in due to it's unique position as a primary center of the global economy. You can see how rents and home prices in the city are going through the roof as foreign money pours in. Many local residents are getting forced out due to the increasing cost of living. Long Island, Westchester, Fairfield, and nearby NJ are where many of these people that work in NYC commute from. So the cost of living is very high here also. 

While you can definitely find much lower cost of living spots across the country to live in, the infrastructure is just as bad in many of those other places. Nationally as a percentage of GDP, the same lower infrastructure spending can be found compared to places like Europe. Many Long Islanders have moved or retired to places like NC. But they are also finding road problems due to the lower spending and influx of people from our area. Their drinking water quality has been suffering due to expanded growth and industry polluting the local waters. So while you will most certainly will pay a fraction of our taxes like property, remember that their infrastructure in no bowl of cherries compared to here.

you can buy a house in NE PA for less than 100k and enjoy low taxes unless you are in a town..My son bought a chalet on .68 acres for 70k last year...his taxes are around 2400 and a hoa of 1100 a year...the house is within two hours from Staten Island...

21 minutes ago, uncle W said:

you can buy a house in NE PA for less than 100k and enjoy low taxes unless you are in a town..My son bought a chalet on .68 acres for 70k last year...his taxes are around 2400 and a hoa of 1100 a year...the house is within two hours from Staten Island...

But are there jobs there? And anything to do? Eat? Stores to shop at? Cultural attractions?

I'm not saying NYC and vicinity are the only places that offer these things, but the places that do have higher taxes, have higher property and home values,  better services and higher incomes. 

57 minutes ago, Sundog said:

But are there jobs there? And anything to do? Eat? Stores to shop at? Cultural attractions?

I'm not saying NYC and vicinity are the only places that offer these things, but the places that do have higher taxes, have higher property and home values,  better services and higher incomes. 

not that many jobs but if you like living with deer and bear that's the place...there is plenty of fishing and we are close to the Delaware river...there are some good places to eat and if you drive to Milford PA there are some great places to eat...

2 hours ago, uncle W said:

NW NJ and NE PA is a pretty area. I can remember all the road trips to Action Park back in the 80's.

2 hours ago, Sundog said:

That is one of the main reasons that people are willing to live in a more expensive area if they can afford to. People come from all over the world to try and make it in NYC.

10 minutes ago, bluewave said:

That is one of the main reasons that people are willing to live in a more expensive area if they can afford to. People come from all over the world to try and make it in NYC.

It wasn't always this way. People now come to buy NY real estate to launder money, driving up prices. But again, the cost of living or income level of the citizens is irrelevant for the discussion on how to increase revenue to pay for infrastructure improvement. We need additional revenue, and a lot of it. 

15 minutes ago, psv88 said:

It wasn't always this way. People now come to buy NY real estate to launder money, driving up prices. But again, the cost of living or income level of the citizens is irrelevant for the discussion on how to increase revenue to pay for infrastructure improvement. We need additional revenue, and a lot of it. 

For as much as people complain about the infrastructure around NYC, we still haven't had anything approaching the extreme failures such as with the New Orleans levees or the Flint water system. Even the Bayonne bridge got a big lift to support the more modern port necessary to compete. Areas with lower cost of living, often cut costs by neglecting the infrastructure such as roads or clean water. There is a reason that NYC fights to protect the quality of the reservoirs while many rural locations get steamrolled by big polluters that ruin there waters. It takes money to maintain these things.

16 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Like adjust the Federal gas tax, talk about diminishing return from two different angles. The local taxes typically only pay for the required match to NYSDOT and Federal Highway funds. 

NYC and surrounding areas are in a huge real estate bubble and for about the past year or so, I've been seeing that bubble burst. $4,500 for a one bedroom just so you can live in the most exclusive neighborhood in Brooklyn? Are you kidding me? Then you go out and try to find a job and they don't hire you and you barely make enough to pay the rent! So you have a choice between some ultra luxury condo and some piece of crap apartment that hasn't been renovated since the '60s, both the size of a shoe box that costs more money per year than some colleges charge for tuition! This is insane!

2 minutes ago, TriPol said:

NYC and surrounding areas are in a huge real estate bubble and for about the past year or so, I've been seeing that bubble burst. $4,500 for a one bedroom just so you can live in the most exclusive neighborhood in Brooklyn? Are you kidding me? Then you go out and try to find a job and they don't hire you and you barely make enough to pay the rent! So you have a choice between some ultra luxury condo and some piece of crap apartment that hasn't been renovated since the '60s, both the size of a shoe box that costs more money per year than some colleges charge for tuition! This is insane!

NYC barely lost any value of significance during the Great Recession when the rest of the country lost significant value. It would take an unprecedented event to dramatically lower the housing costs around here. 

14 minutes ago, Sundog said:

NYC barely lost any value of significance during the Great Recession when the rest of the country lost significant value. It would take an unprecedented event to dramatically lower the housing costs around here. 

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2016/12/13/rents_are_falling_in_new_york_city_is_this_a_crash.html

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

One month from today I'll be back down in OBX

1 hour ago, dWave said:

I meant to post this a few days ago. Found it interesting. Its looks like a little Sandy Hook.

I guess the closest thing we have to new barrier island growth or expansion is the west end of Fire Island. If you walk out on Democrat Point at low tide you can get stuck as the tide comes in. People out there fishing have had their trucks swamped when the tide came in.

https://www.nps.gov/fiis/learn/nature/upload/LongIslandsDynamicSouthShore_150dpi_11-08-07.pdf

To give you an idea of how important it can be, the longshore transport of sand actually allowed the western end of Fire Island to grow or accrete more than four miles between 1825 and 1940 when a jetty was constructed to slow this westward migra- tion of the island and stabilize the inlet. The original Fire Island Lighthouse was constructed in 1928,

at what was then the western end of Fire Island, to guide ships through an inlet that existed there at that time. The current structure, constructed in 1857 just to the east of the original light, now sits well east of the new position of the inlet, which moved west as the island grew more than 150 feet per year with sand supplied by longshore transport.

NEW.png.c293986136ccc5d5d0ec3bf47e03556d.png

Archived