• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Summer 2017 Banter Thread

dmillz25

The commute via NJT is literally taking years off my life.

We are living with the in-laws in Westwood while we are doing construction on our house in Montclair.

The bus/train from there is absolutely brutal.  Bus took >2hr door to door the other day.  Train requires a transfer at Secaucus that is a straight up Darwinian.  Push and squeeze and rush all over each other - might as well be living in Shanghai or Delhi ... Port Authority/Penn Station are embarrassments to the city and the work that Amtrak is doing this summer is going to make everything worse.  Thankfully, my employer lets me WFH frequently.

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

40 years ago you could drive around without delays anywhere except rush hour in downtown Manhattan...30 years ago you could drive anywhere except all of Manhattan and downtown Brooklyn...today you can't drive anywhere except maybe Sussex county N.J.....

12 minutes ago, uncle W said:

40 years ago you could drive around without delays anywhere except rush hour in downtown Manhattan...30 years ago you could drive anywhere except all of Manhattan and downtown Brooklyn...today you can't drive anywhere except maybe Sussex county N.J.....

Nassau especially west of the Meadowbook has NYC style traffic at times during the day. You really need to go further east on Long Island to see improvement. The Southern State from the Queens line to the Meadowbrook is traffic jam city. You still encounter some delays from the Meadowbook to 110 at times but it's better. Once east of 110 there is less traffic with the traffic flowing nicely most of the times except when there is road work.

1 hour ago, danstorm said:

The commute via NJT is literally taking years off my life.

We are living with the in-laws in Westwood while we are doing construction on our house in Montclair.

The bus/train from there is absolutely brutal.  Bus took >2hr door to door the other day.  Train requires a transfer at Secaucus that is a straight up Darwinian.  Push and squeeze and rush all over each other - might as well be living in Shanghai or Delhi ... Port Authority/Penn Station are embarrassments to the city and the work that Amtrak is doing this summer is going to make everything worse.  Thankfully, my employer lets me WFH frequently.

Living on the island and working in the city has become unbearable!!! Trains late everyday. Subway is packed always late. The most stressful part of my day is commuting 

Compared to Queens traffic, Brooklyn is very bad. I drive throughout both boroughs for work and Brooklyn is bad. IMO, worst then Manhattan even.

Queens still has a lot of parts that are quiet, empty roads and blocks of empty parking spots. I never have to look for parking in the residential areas of Whitestone, Bayside, Auburndale, etc.. Parking is available everywhere.

Brooklyn has almost no areas like this, outside of the western parts like Bay Ridge.

The problem with Brooklyn is the streets were never designed to handle the traffic they're handling. Every day I watch a bus turn from Bedford on to Avenue I and I hold my breath as it does so. Add that to the inordinate number of drivers who can't handle driving in NYC and insist on doing so, and it's just a recipe for congestion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, mophstymeo01 said:

The problem with Brooklyn is the streets were never designed to handle the traffic they're handling. Every day I watch a bus turn from Bedford on to Avenue I and I hold my breath as it does so. Add that to the inordinate number of drivers who can't handle driving in NYC and insist on doing so, and it's just a recipe for congestion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I never understood why those Letter Aves are so small

2 minutes ago, WeatherFeen2000 said:

August may be annoyingly hot in my opinion! 

This summer is going to hot don't forget the highest average high temp is 85 degrees. So 90 would be 5 degrees above normal. That's not hard to accomplish. Slightly above will be what happens with this summer

45 minutes ago, dmillz25 said:

This summer is going to hot don't forget the highest average high temp is 85 degrees. So 90 would be 5 degrees above normal. That's not hard to accomplish. Slightly above will be what happens with this summer

Thats why 3 days of 90 is lame for a heatwave. Should be at least 5 with 2 of the days 95+

On 6/29/2017 at 2:07 PM, bluewave said:

Nassau especially west of the Meadowbook has NYC style traffic at times during the day. You really need to go further east on Long Island to see improvement. The Southern State from the Queens line to the Meadowbrook is traffic jam city. You still encounter some delays from the Meadowbook to 110 at times but it's better. Once east of 110 there is less traffic with the traffic flowing nicely most of the times except when there is road work.

Ehhh. In the morning Suffolk county is a disaster heading west. Exit 42 to 40 westbound until 110 on the northern state is bumper to bumper and the LIE is bad from exit 58 all the way west to 110. 

One reason I took this new job is the 3 minute commute. Commuting to garden city from Suffolk was too stressful. An hour to go 20 miles. Gtfo

1 hour ago, NortheastPAWx said:

My new apartment is less than one block from Bronx-Lebanon Hospital. We (Movers and I) were sitting ducks for almost two hours trying to bring the furniture in. 

Scary as f**k when a mass shooting happens basically right next to you.

Workplace shooting really. Just don't get sick and you're good.

7 hours ago, psv88 said:

Ehhh. In the morning Suffolk county is a disaster heading west. Exit 42 to 40 westbound until 110 on the northern state is bumper to bumper and the LIE is bad from exit 58 all the way west to 110. 

One reason I took this new job is the 3 minute commute. Commuting to garden city from Suffolk was too stressful. An hour to go 20 miles. Gtfo

Those are two stretches of road that I never drive on out here. Most of my driving is on 27 and 27A and I am yet to see much traffic compared to what is experienced toward Western Nassau. The only exception recently has been some median work on 110 which should be finished soon. 

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

Those are two stretches of road that I never drive on out here. Most of my driving is on 27 and 27A and I am yet to see much traffic compared to what is experienced toward Western Nassau. The only exception recently has been some median work on 110 which should be finished soon. 

I spent 25 years of driving to Wall street and it took it's toll , no pun intended.

From 2000 to 2009 the Laurel Hollow to Wall street commute went from 1:30 to solid 2 hours each way.  From 2010 to 2016 the Colts Neck drive to 55 Water was a similar 1:30 as well. 

Thankfully that's over and I work out of Redbank now and it's an 15 minute drive to my office , life changing.

1 hour ago, PB GFI said:

I spent 25 years of driving to Wall street and it took it's toll , no pun intended.

From 2000 to 2009 the Laurel Hollow to Wall street commute went from 1:30 to solid 2 hours each way.  From 2010 to 2016 the Colts Neck drive to 55 Water was a similar 1:30 as well. 

Thankfully that's over and I work out of Redbank now and it's an 15 minute drive to my office , life changing.

That is good to hear for you. The traffic into NYC coupled with the high toll costs can get to be too much over time. Even the railroad infrastructure has been showing its age recently with all the incidents around the Penn Station area. NYC is one of the great world cities, but everything from the railways, roads, and water mains, needs a modernization project ASAP.

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

It seems like every time I need to go to LI for something I get stuck in traffic somewhere especially if I have to go E>W<E. We used to go there for the beach but the last time it took hours just to get off the island so we've taken to going to RI the last few years. No tolls is also a bonus ;) 

If every roadway was mostly traffic free like the Seaford Oyster Bay EXPWY, things would be great. The east west routes especially in Nassau often turn into giant parking lots. Even the smaller Long Beach Road through Oceanside turns into a parking lot around rush times and beach traffic. And you don't want to be anywhere near there when the LB Bridge sometimes gets stuck open.

11 minutes ago, bluewave said:

That is good to hear for you. The traffic into NYC coupled with the high toll costs can get to be too much over time. Even the railroad infrastructure has been showing its age recently with all the incidents around the Penn Station area. NYC is one of the great world cities, but everything from the railways, roads, and water mains, needs a modernization project ASAP.

Yea. Problem is Americans want great infrastructure but don't want to make the sacrifices to pay for it. Sacrifices in the form of higher taxes and lower pay and pensions for public employees. In the NYC metro area, teachers, cops and other government workers  make more than those in the private sector, get better benefits, and fat pensions, which are absent from the private sector. 

The above factors have raised our taxes to astronomical levels, rendering any tax increases unfeasible. To that point, real infrastructure improvement requires a massive federal government investment, which won't happen in the current or future political environment. 

In short, due to local and national factors, our infrastructure problem will only get worse. The  positive story to some extent are the major projects currently planned for the city, which were largely spearheaded by the state. This includes the new LGA airport, tappanzee bridge, and east side access for the LIRR. 

Cuomo is really pushing the LIRR third rail project on the island, which most towns want, other than a select few who might hold it up. 

48 minutes ago, bluewave said:

If every roadway was mostly traffic free like the Seaford Oyster Bay EXPWY, things would be great. The east west routes especially in Nassau often turn into giant parking lots. Even the smaller Long Beach Road through Oceanside turns into a parking lot around rush times and beach traffic. And you don't want to be anywhere near there when the LB Bridge sometimes gets stuck open.

I was down there one time last summer and ended up going over the AB bridge and ran all the way through LB and out through JB and Ocean Parkway all the way to the Fire Island causeway then up to the Sag then LIE to get to an appointment near Brookhaven. It ended up being faster and easier, not to mention much prettier, than crawling out the LIE. I'm sure it added 50 miles or more from the Whitestone Bridge but it was well worth it. Even when I was growing up in Oceanside 30+ years ago I remember blowing off going to the beach because a problem at the LB bridge would have traffic backed up all the way through Island Park.

Long island is also a victim of it's geography. A heavily populated island and the only way out is through at least some part of NYC.

Unlike northern suburbs or NJ if you want nothing to do with NYC you can do that for the most part.

26 minutes ago, dWave said:

Long island is also a victim of it's geography. A heavily populated island and the only way out is through at least some part of NYC.

Unlike northern suburbs or NJ if you want nothing to do with NYC you can do that for the most part.

Part of the reason we want to move to Florida. Getting off the island is miserable.

1 minute ago, Stormlover74 said:

I don't know that Florida will be much netter, especially with everyone moving down there from up here. COLA is lower that's for sure

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Yea that's true. our whole family is down there as well, so traffic isn't the only factor. But it's certainly a significant factor.

Archived