Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Summer 2017 Banter Thread

dmillz25

2 hours ago, WeatherFeen2000 said:

Not according to the GFS 12z

think about it by June 21st days start getting shorter this is probably supposed to be the hottest time of the year from June 15th up until July 20th.  GFS 12z doesn't have any upper 80's for the next two weeks. I'm happy with that!

Feen, you're back at it again I see lol.  The solstice hasn't even arrived yet :D 

We've seen brutal heat into September!

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, JerseyWx said:

Feen, you're back at it again I see lol.  The solstice hasn't even arrived yet :D 

We've seen brutal heat into September!

There's a difference though between heat now vs. September. The sun isn't as strong and the heat is usually fleeting by then while in late June/July it's only the beginning. 

As of now there's nothing that indicates any big time heat and 90s look rather scarce. 

48 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

There's a difference though between heat now vs. September. The sun isn't as strong and the heat is usually fleeting by then while in late June/July it's only the beginning. 

As of now there's nothing that indicates any big time heat and 90s look rather scarce. 

I was just busting Feen's chops.  The September reference goes back to 2015, where we had some pretty hot days.  Then again, that was also the year where it seemed the warmth would never end, and NYC set the record for consecutive 80° days.

5 hours ago, WeatherFeen2000 said:

Not according to the GFS 12z

think about it by June 21st days start getting shorter this is probably supposed to be the hottest time of the year from June 15th up until July 20th.  GFS 12z doesn't have any upper 80's for the next two weeks. I'm happy with that!

It's not about the length of days. There's a reason late July is peak heat and late January is peak cold. It's about incoming insolation v. Outgoing radiation back into space. We keep getting hotter until we lose more heat than we gain (or the balance changes). The reverse is true in winter. 

The solstice is not our peak heat or even close to it. This is earth science 101

28 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

We're getting into the peak of Summer weather. That said, it's just the beginning. Kind of like how in Winter snow season around here is from about December 20th to Presidents Day. The core of Summer is from about June 20th till August 15th.

Yeah, that's true.  And just as it can be cold and snowy right through the end of March, it can be hot and humid deep into September.  Now granted, like SnoSki said, things usually begin to cool down by then.

4 hours ago, NJwx85 said:

What's funny about that?

That's a ridiculous graphic.  

*20% chance of heavy rain on Sunday.

*30% chance of heavy rain Sunday night

* How often have you seen heavy rain used in a forecast with percentages that low?  

*How often have you seen the forecast for heavy rain for about 72 straight hours?

Their forecast makes sense when you read it though. 

10 hours ago, Rjay said:

That's a ridiculous graphic.  

*20% chance of heavy rain on Sunday.

*30% chance of heavy rain Sunday night

* How often have you seen heavy rain used in a forecast with percentages that low?  

*How often have you seen the forecast for heavy rain for about 72 straight hours?

Their forecast makes sense when you read it though. 

What it says to me is that if it rains where you are it has a strong likelihood of being heavy.

32 minutes ago, bluewave said:

You will have a good spot for wind and rainfall measurements. But the higher 82 foot height this time of year will have cooler temps than the surface.

The SI site had a 48 mph gust yesterday...afternoon temps do seem lower than other stations...rainfall has looked a little low to me but still a small sample size.

22 minutes ago, dmillz25 said:

Maybe I should continue using the pws near me for temps

You can compare the two sites.

5 minutes ago, doncat said:

The SI site had a 48 mph gust yesterday...afternoon temps do seem lower than other stations...rainfall has looked a little low to me but still a small sample size.

I like how BNL has continuous temps at different elevations so you can see the temp falloff with height.

5949448740479_Screenshot2017-06-20at11_46_38AM.thumb.png.c0b444889fe8b02f11d26caa6c8d426e.png

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

You will have a good spot for wind and rainfall measurements. But the higher 82 foot height this time of year will have cooler temps than the surface.

Anyone know how tall that bldg is, and how high above the roof they install? I've been on the BK college campus but its been years. The SI one temps doesn't seem too cool but it looks like a relatively short bldg its on.

I wonder where the Manhattan and Bronx locations will be. Bronx Community College has had a roof top weather station for years, been one of the more reliable PWS around.

1 minute ago, dWave said:

Anyone know how tall that bldg is, and how high above the roof they install? I've been on the BK college campus but its been years. The SI one temps doesn't seem too cool but it looks like a relatively short bldg its on.

I wonder where the Manhattan and Bronx locations will be. Bronx Community College has had a roof top weather station for years, been one of the more reliable PWS around.

I helped install the pws at bronx community 

Archived