• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Cutoff Low 6/4-6/10

NJwx85

While the details are still being ironed out, models are in general agreement on another big cut off low with possible surface development during this weekend into the middle of next week. Several inches of rain and below normal temperatures are possible. 

While the 12z GFS focuses the heaviest rains towards NY and PA, we've seen this area jump around from run to run.

gfs_apcpn_neus_27.png

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

The 18z NAM warm sectors us on Monday with 1500-2000 j/kg of SBCAPE and decent shear ahead of the developing surface low. Would be a fairly substantial severe threat if it materialized. 

I was wondering why it was so dry-that makes sense.  

-

namconus_apcpn_neus_23.png

7 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Not really, it's showing the convection that I was talking about coming through on Monday. You cannot make a comment about something while leaving half of the information out.

using the NAM to 24 hrs is a stretch let alone 66:lol:

23 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

using the NAM to 24 hrs is a stretch let alone 66:lol:

:facepalm:

You specifically stated the model was dry and if you had waited another 12 hours you would have seen that it's not the case. If you had said the NAM was dry through the first 24 hours that would have been a completely different statement. 

The setup after 00Z Monday is so insanely convoluted I'm not sure we have much idea til 00Z runs tomorrow night, so basically 3 more main model suites.  The one thing I'm becoming more confident of is that nothing really occurs south of an Albany to State College to Columbus line before 8pm Sunday.  Beyond that I have low confidence.  I can see Monday being a classic warm sector with chance for something big that afternoon but I can also see it being a mess with too many clouds and just showers.  That surface low interaction/development is just too complicated after 00Z Monday.

**The 18Z Op GFS and to an extent the 18Z 12km NAM are examples of how this could be a nothing event.  Sunday stays north and maybe something crosses late overnight as a weakening line or showers.  Then all the energy and focus is forced south for Monday and we have NE flow with the developing surface low over the MA passing to the south.  The Op Euro I felt moved this way a bit today but it doesn't force everything south as far so Monday still had potential 

38 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The setup after 00Z Monday is so insanely convoluted I'm not sure we have much idea til 00Z runs tomorrow night, so basically 3 more main model suites.  The one thing I'm becoming more confident of is that nothing really occurs south of an Albany to State College to Columbus line before 8pm Sunday.  Beyond that I have low confidence.  I can see Monday being a classic warm sector with chance for something big that afternoon but I can also see it being a mess with too many clouds and just showers.  That surface low interaction/development is just too complicated after 00Z Monday 

The 18z GFS hangs up the warm front near 84. SW of there gets moderately unstable, but the main focus is over the Delmarva with the developing surface low. We really want this to cutoff further SW so that the low tucks into the coast.

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

The 18z GFS hangs up the warm front near 84. SW of there gets moderately unstable, but the main focus is over the Delmarva with the developing surface low. We really want this to cutoff further SW so that the low tucks into the coast.

I just edited the initial post to say how that 18Z GFS is pretty much the classic example poster of how this could be nothing for the Metro. 

2 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I just edited the initial post to say how that 18Z GFS is pretty much the classic example poster of how this could be nothing for the Metro. 

It's just one run. The 12z GEFS mean was wetter and further South than the OP. Curious to see what 18z does. 

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

It's just one run. The 12z GEFS mean was wetter and further South than the OP. Curious to see what 18z does. 

My hunch right now is we will continue to see Sunday's south and east progression slow slightly on the models.  Possibly to the point almost nothing gets south of the PA/NY border til late evening.  That should then open the door for Monday but the way the surface low forms to the SW or doesn't form would still be a big question.   I'm not surprised to see Sunday's south/east progression slow up as it seems models at this time of year at day 4-6 are always too fast moving any sort of system along by as much as 24 hours at that range sometimes 

7 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

My hunch right now is we will continue to see Sunday's south and east progression slow slightly on the models.  Possibly to the point almost nothing gets south of the PA/NY border til late evening.  That should then open the door for Monday but the way the surface low forms to the SW or doesn't form would still be a big question.   I'm not surprised to see Sunday's south/east progression slow up as it seems models at this time of year at day 4-6 are always too fast moving any sort of system along by as much as 24 hours at that range sometimes 

Yeah it seems almost that if you want the stronger storms on Monday you need Sunday to stay to the North.

1 hour ago, Brian5671 said:

12z Euro has the mother of all cutoffs of precip-close to nothing next 10 days south of NYC...one inch around 287 and close to 3 inches north of I84

anything past 4 days fo qpf is silly. Last weekend on this day Mt Holly NWS was worried about very heavy rain today. top 20 day for the summer. 69F and booming sun out with a stiff breeze.

12 GFS total QPF for 96 hrs is 3/4 to 1.5 inches of water for the entire area.

3 hours ago, NJwx85 said:

12z Euro ticked South for tomorrow. 

The near nothing scenario is evolving for sure.  It looks some showers and maybe a tstm between 9pm-3am tomorrow night and then perhaps some pop up stuff beneath the upper low Monday in the afternoon but the boundary timing Sunday is too late after heating and the Monday setup everything is south 

4 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The near nothing scenario is evolving for sure.  It looks some showers and maybe a tstm between 9pm-3am tomorrow night and then perhaps some pop up stuff beneath the upper low Monday in the afternoon but the boundary timing Sunday is too late after heating and the Monday setup everything is south 

Monday came way North on the 18z GFS. Much smaller of a dry slot this run.

6 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

yea..my wife keeps telling me it is going to rain tomorrow. Told her this morning.......heading to Cape May NJ for a few days.

Rain tomorrow.....

Just now, Rtd208 said:

Most of the models seem to be in agreement on not seeing much in the NYC metro area, maybe that will change over the next 24 hours but as of now it look like all of the action will be to our north and south.

18z PARA GFS brings 1"+ up to 80 and almost 2" into Monmouth.

I would watch for some surprise area of tstms to maybe outrun everything late in the afternoon tomorrow, especially the lower Hudson Valley.  There is some hint of that on a few models.  I'm a bit skeptical though because the midlevel flow to me doesn't look fast enough or even have enough of a NW component for that to really happen 

Archived