Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

47 for the low, but 33 at MVY!! Jesus H.

and they are already into the fifties which shows how shallow or some would say fake  that temperature was.  I believe the Pine Barrens in Long Island are also notorious , but they are legitimate  unlike our buddy in New Hartford Connecticut.

7 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

Anyone good with position-versus-time graphs and velocity-versus-time graphs?  Didn't understand them in pre-Physics and doing them now in Physics I and I am confused...mainly with plotting corresponding velocity-versus-time graphs given a position-versus-time chart (no data given).  

all you gotta remember is that if the velocity between two points (x coordinate) has two different corresponding y coordinates, then you have acceleration.  Time is a constant... if you have seconds in the x coordinate and m/s in the y coordinate,  two points with the same y value is a constant velocity.  Change in velocity is by definition ...acceleration, and in physical sciences that is true for both speeding up and slowing down (deceleration always works too :)

Anyway ... acceleration units are m per second second...     (yes, that's TWO seconds there!)  Well think of your graph... if you have m/s in y, and s in x, ding ding ding... you have m/s*s ... and there's your "meters per second squared" acceleration...   So, if the y coordinate is unchanging... then the s contribution from the y coordinate becomes a zero, and  M / S * 0 = M/ 0 = 0 acceleration.  So the velocity remains constant...  

21 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Which if true, would also distort the precipitation records in the early/mid 20th century...i.e., the late 20th century/early 21st century precip increases that have been disproportionately higher in the eastern U.S. may be a little more representative of the baseline climate than the much drier period before that.

And for the temps you're right about the dust bowl...the 1930s saw extreme high maxes and low mins that no other decade can match.

The dusty '30s hold hottest temp records in 23 states (next highest decades have 5) and coldest temps in 10 (next highest: 6.)   The '30s hold driest year records in 17 states - '50s and '60s each hold 9, with 2/3 of the '60s being 1965 for DE thru SNE.  So far, this century hasn't replaced many of those records, though my info does not include any set in the past 4-5 years.  The only 21st-century marks I've noted are in AZ (hottest temp/driest year), Maine (coldest temp/wettest year), NC (wettest year), OK (coldest temp), and SD (hottest temp) - 2 hots, 2 colds, 2 wets, 1 dry (signifying nothing?)

Edit:  Upper 40s this morning, but yesterday was 75/37.  When I lived in Fort Kent and could literally see the inversion, the smoke layer above the cedar mill's cone burners across the St. John would be 200-300' AGL.  Doesn't take long for the June sun to erode that skinny layer. 

12 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

My VP2 fan died, again.  Getting annoying.

I think mine did as well. I notice if I tap on the rain bucket it will start again. I realized when I installed last year that the fan shrouding was somehow getting pinched and causing it to rub the fan blades. I need to remove the fan and re-install, but I think I may have burned it out.

7 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

all you gotta remember is that if the velocity between two points (x coordinate) has two different corresponding y coordinates, then you have acceleration.  Time is a constant... if you have seconds in the x coordinate and m/s in the y coordinate,  two points with the same y value is a constant velocity.  Change in velocity is by definition ...acceleration, and in physical sciences that is true for both speeding up and slowing down (deceleration always works too :)

Anyway ... acceleration units are m per second second...     (yes, that's TWO seconds there!)  Well think of your graph... if you have m/s in y, and s in x, ding ding ding... you have m/s*s ... and there's your "meters per second squared" acceleration...   So, if the y coordinate is unchanging... then the s contribution from the y coordinate becomes a zero, and  M / S * 0 = M/ 0 = 0 acceleration.  So the velocity remains constant...  

This does help, thank you! 

Looks like the precip is going to scrape the cape and the islands...probably won't get much west of canal...hoping tomorrow is a good day for climbing at the park...we have school groups  coming for end of year field trips and it sucks when it rains on them

7 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

Looks like the precip is going to scrape the cape and the islands...probably won't get much west of canal...hoping tomorrow is a good day for climbing at the park...we have school groups  coming for end of year field trips and it sucks when it rains on them

Congrats James.

1 hour ago, eekuasepinniW said:

I've got a replacement fan coming today, but will order one of these to have one on hand.

Order 2 and I'll give you cash for one. I don't have a newegg business acct. i can't find this exact fan anywhere anymore. 

They're awesome though. Perfect fit and they set right in. 

Archived