• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

after the morning mist was cooked for a bit we've mixed out those hellish DPs that were here in the interior this morning... 

What's interesting is that the southcoast and LI and Cape Cod are all still wooshed over with pig bum conditions.  The persistent southerly flow is helping to pile up the warm-ish surface waters, and may be the source for the theta-e gradient that's gotten pretty steep actually...  BDL is down to 63 and it's 74 at IJD for example..  The SSW wind is bringing the goods to S-SE zones -

It also sets up an interesting scenario for BOS proper as that urban inferno is getting clipped and mixing with that southern DP rich air ...  they have one of the hottest HI's around because of it.  

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, dendrite said:

Nice. Make a trip over to Mackinac?

Yeah. Heading there on Friday for the day.   Going to Sault Ste. Marie tomorrow. Once we do that we will have seen/been in 4 of the 5 Great Lakes on this trip.  Drove by Ontario this past Saturday.   Was in Lake Michigan on Monday.   Staying on the shores of Lake Huron and superior tomorrow.  Pretty cool

Can anyone confirm if there were T storms in NW MA yesterday afternoon or evening?  Radar loop or something? 

The brewery loaned canopy tents to a party in Heath and they claimed t-storms destroyed the larger of the two.  I feel like operator error was the cause...  Doesn't really matter, just want to know for personal satisfaction. 

Driving from ALB to Stowe/MVL the car said 89-91F from ALB to RUT and then slowly fell north of there to 77-78F in Stowe/Waterbury but some sprinkles were falling.  Can't go a day without a little rain right?

Looks like MVL hit its highest temp of the month though at 84F earlier this afternoon before another boundary moved in from the NW thanks to that gyre up north.

That gyre way up in Canada is doing its best to continuously shunt the heat east before it really bakes up here in N/NW NE.  

Fascinating to see how prominent that's been as other seasons this would be 90s into Southern Quebec with the southerly flow.  But that ULL vortex cyclonic flow has been fending off the true summer heat with amazing efficiency.

IMG_6406.thumb.PNG.2ff3e8cccaaa06e8bc6ba5feb133aea4.PNG

IMG_6407.thumb.PNG.99d5df8b8c8c24831c43c16aa40d7fe6.PNG 

34 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Driving from ALB to Stowe/MVL the car said 89-91F from ALB to RUT and then slowly fell north of there to 77-78F in Stowe/Waterbury but some sprinkles were falling.  Can't go a day without a little rain right?

Looks like MVL hit its highest temp of the month though at 84F earlier this afternoon before another boundary moved in from the NW thanks to that gyre up north.

That would be great if I lived there, but I'd be pissed if I booked a week there and had high temps of 75 with rain every day.

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

No gyre here. Toasty 93 at BOS today. 

It has been fascinating how that vortex oscillates the boundary...sometimes it's back down by the South Coast and other times it's up near the Canadian border.  But it's always there.

Really different from recent summers that have featured a lot of heat well into southern Quebec on S/SW flow...over the top type stuff where we've baked more than SNE relative to normal.  

You can see it on radar too...just another spoke today rotating through on NW flow across NNE.  I have to imagine Quebec has been frigid relative to normal as they are always north of the boundary.  

IMG_6408.GIF.8d201ab86aa626da6b02b8746c6b36e3.GIF

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That would be great if I lived there, but I'd be pissed if I booked a week there and had high temps of 75 with rain every day.

Yeah I don't mean to make it sound cold though.  Just relative to normal it's cool.  Kev will say PF is cold all summer long.  I mean MVL did get to 84F before it got beat back down by that spoke of energy.  

Definitely less hot than recent summers though when BTV was throwing up 95s and 91-93F at MVL/MPV.  

Just now, powderfreak said:

Yeah I don't mean to make it sound cold though.  Just relative to normal it's cool.  Kev will say PF is cold all summer long.  I mean MVL did get to 84F before it got beat back down by that spoke of energy.  

Definitely less hot than recent summers though when BTV was throwing up 95s and 91-93F at MVL/MPV.  

Personally that is my kind of summer, but I do admit I want it hot for vacation or beach. 

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I do too.  Right there with ya.  

Lakes Region has had the perfect mix as always ;).  Congrats Dendrite and Eek lol.

They're a bit of a downslope dandy. But they do cool off nicely at night. At some point Stowe is on my map. I expect a tour of the mtn from you when I go. :lol:

Made an inaugural trip to Vanished Valley brewery in Ludlow today and am pretty happy with the product.  Heard Treehouse had a half mile backup on Rt 20 and a huge line once you arrived.  Between Brick and Feather and this new one, it's getting harder and harder to justify the trip to Monson/Charlton these days... but as the supply dwindles we'll find ourselves there eventually.

3 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Sounds like a summer in the Alps in Stowe this year. Little warmth and jackets at night. Chilly rains with cooling aloft bringing it to surface..No thanks.

Glad we here..not there

I've been in the Alps in summer-much better than you describe.

8 hours ago, radarman said:

Made an inugural trip to Vanished Valley brewery in Ludlow today and am pretty happy with the product.  Heard Treehouse had a half mile backup on Rt 20 and a huge line once you arrived.  Between Brick and Feather and this new one, it's getting harder and harder to justify the trip to Monson/Charlton these days... but as the supply dwindles we'll find outselves there eventually.

I went to VV last week. Got the good stuff...Pomona.. the one they offered yesterday not as good from what I've heard.

Monson is closed for now, but will sell again. I won't go to Charlton for a week or 2 until thing settle down there.

Archived