Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, dendrite said:

0.05"

glad we missed all of that rain

We were lucky in May and early June when you had mushrooms growing in the basement.  Now we finally got a heavy event.

2.39" at the office for 24 hour total, probably 1.25-1.5" this morning alone.

IMG_6204.JPG.6821e71516de09be3962aa4e116516b9.JPG

3.15" storm total so far.

19399515_10154526636807382_6164579355342

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Awesome!

I am beyond excited.  Feels like I've been back in school forever and I really have.  We're talking like 5.5-6 years just to get a bachelors :lol: 

My adviser emailed me the other day and asked if I was interesting in taking the MTR 330 course which is broadcasting (and more in depth than the basic one he offered).  Typically you don't take this class until your very last year or last semester.  So doing this next fall means the following fall all I have is instrumentation and senior research!!!

Looks nice and warm for vacation week of 7/2.  Heading to the mountain center at Crawford notch for 3 days of hiking followed by a few days up in Quebec City where my wife and I have  actually never been.  Empty nest for the 6 weeks starting Monday night.   

18 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Looks nice and warm for vacation week of 7/2.  Heading to the mountain center at Crawford notch for 3 days of hiking followed by a few days up in Quebec City where my wife and I have  actually never been.  Empty nest for the 6 weeks starting Monday night.   

Jerry,  your in for a real treat in Quebec City.  Magical place.   I had never been until several years ago.  Not that long of a drive for me.  Headed up and was so blown away!  We went just before Christmas.  Cobblestone streets, every building covered with lights and endless light snow falling.  Summer should be just as good.  So close to  New England  but yet you really feel like your in France.   Best kept secret.  Wave to me as you pass Exit 24 on Rt 93!

7 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Eyeballing another half inch overnight in the stratus from some torrential downpours.

That would put us ~2.25" in the past 36 hours.  

MPV ASOS picked up 0.50" in 14 minutes overnight...some good gully washing downpours.

I figured it must have come down pretty good overnight, there was a small washout in my gravel driveway. 

2 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

dramatic physical transition sweeping east - goes from tropical murk to open sky abruptly over the next two hours

Didn't seem that abrubpt as we were playing golf earlier this morning. Showers finally cut off around 11:30 or so up here. 

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

Jerry,  your in for a real treat in Quebec City.  Magical place.   I had never been until several years ago.  Not that long of a drive for me.  Headed up and was so blown away!  We went just before Christmas.  Cobblestone streets, every building covered with lights and endless light snow falling.  Summer should be just as good.  So close to  New England  but yet you really feel like your in France.   Best kept secret.  Wave to me as you pass Exit 24 on Rt 93!

Thanks Gene-great description.  When I read your post to my wife her response was we have to go in the winter...no argument from me...lol.

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

If we put you into any convective warnings you'll now see we've added "recreational areas." So within the warning text it will now say something like this:

This also includes...
  North Pack Monadnock, Mount Kearsage, and Mount Sunapee.

My thinking was that many vacationers will have no clue what town they are in, but they sure as sh** will know what mountain/lake/beach they are on.

Now to get the weather radio to pronounce them all correctly...

4 hours ago, dendrite said:

Nice. Looks like Hawaii.

That was my first thought too.

On 6/23/2017 at 1:45 PM, wxeyeNH said:

Tip,  this prompted a question for you.  Growing up in Maryland and spending time in Florida I noticed the difference between towering cu down there and up here.  Many afternoons as the towers went up they had very sharp edges between the cloud and clear skies.  Kind of like volcanic clouds with clear ripples and edges. Stunning exploding towers.  Up here in NH it seems as Cu towers go up they don't have quite the defining edges most times.  Don't grow as rapidly either.    Is it the higher dews?  Better surface heating?     Seems to be a difference as you get towards lower latitudes?  

The crisp edge of the updraft is directly related to the updraft speed. The faster the updraft is moving the crisper the edge, because as it slows down it will entrain the surrounding dry air and start to look fuzzy.

So more or less it's a CAPE thing, after all it is convective available potential energy. More potential energy = faster updraft. 

12 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

If we put you into any convective warnings you'll now see we've added "recreational areas." So within the warning text it will now say something like this:

This also includes...
  North Pack Monadnock, Mount Kearsage, and Mount Sunapee.

My thinking was that many vacationers will have no clue what town they are in, but they sure as sh** will know what mountain/lake/beach they are on.

Now to get the weather radio to pronounce them all correctly...

That was my first thought too.

You should consider adding Mt. Major in Alton to your recreation stuff... it's an extremely heavily hiked mountain-- mostly by tourists.  

The view of the lake from up there is magnificent.

4 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

You should consider adding Mt. Major in Alton to your recreation stuff... it's an extremely heavily hiked mountain-- mostly by tourists.  

The view of the lake from up there is magnificent.

Yep, that's the kind of location we were aiming for. I did speak with the AMC and ATC for their input as well. But what a can of worms I opened up. We realized we didn't have any lakes, or islands, or beaches mentioned either.

The good news is that it is fairly easy to add locations. The bad news is that Raytheon still has many AWIPS2 bugs to work out and one of them is the disclosure thresholds (i.e. a threshold of 1 shows up before a 5, and many 1s in a warning mean the 5 won't be mentioned) for WarnGen locations. When we add points like this the code is there for a disclosure threshold to be accepted, but it does not work. WarnGen just lists all locations in the warning. When you are talking the Whites that can be a long list of locations, far too long to be read by NOAA Weather Radio or to scroll on the TV. So I think for now we have just limited it to 5 or 10 locations. So our higher priority areas will be at the top of our internal list to make sure they are mentioned first.

3 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

I agree.  Just came back from a trip up there.  In addition to Old Quebec and the area around the Chateau Frontenac, take a side trip up the coast a bit to see the massive snow piles as you exit town, Montmorency Falls (higher than Niagara) and the basilica of Ste Anne de Beaupre.  Enjoy!

7 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Where is Ginxy's COC? I don't see it, feel it, or smell it.

Moved in up here.  Humid start in the heavy rain this morning but 4pm ob of 75/53 is just about perfect.

Chamber weather...swollen rivers flushing out the recent rains (this drains the entire east side of Mansfield and Smugglers Notch).  Put a raft in up at the mountain 5 miles away and float all the way past town and to the Waterbury Reservoir. 

19396847_10154594237856770_2146542002527

Archived