joxey
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

EE is here. Did the DIT flip negative?

I was just checking in for Harvey -- what a storm. Also I found out StormachaserChuck is still alive. Love that guy.

Anyhow, I'm off again until probably, like, late November?

1 minute ago, Zeus said:

I was just checking in for Harvey -- what a storm. Also I found out StormachaserChuck is still alive. Love that guy.

Anyhow, I'm off again until probably, like, late November?

Weenies have Irma making landfall up here in 10 days. Seeya in a week.

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Pre frontal warmth here. Should make a run for 80 and a little above before Fall arrives from PF's fanny this evening.

High temp at Mtn Ops was just before 6am at 62F.

Now down to 57F in the ski area parking lot.  

Looks like MVL is 61F down in the valley and that may be the high.

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Interesting info on the Maine deer....thanks for the detailed response.

After 40+ years in the Maine woods, either I've learned a few things or I've been totally incompetent.  I know which answer I'd choose.  :P

Our Round Pond tract is a full township (less the Allagash Wilderness Waterway running thru the middle, managed by the Parks Division, not Lands) about 25 miles upriver- SW - from Allagash village.  It includes a historic deeryard, and our agency has a 10,000-acre (about half the tract's "timber basket" area) Habitat Management Agreement with DIFW, specifically for deer winter cover.  Deer pops are fairly low there at present, but winter harvests 20 years ago would have hundreds of well-fed critters in the works.  Even with low deer numbers, we're staying with the "Field of Dreams" concept, managing the HMA to maintain about 50% of the subject acres in high-quality winter cover - tall and closed-canopy softwoods - at all times, while managing the other half both for browse and to bring it into HV-cover down the road.  It's worth noting (for me) that, since our bureau initiated harvests late in 1988, we have cut a greater volume from this tract than any other under our management, even some parcels with 20-40% more acres available for harvest.  Doing that while maintaining/enhancing HV-cover is complex, but not impossible.

No argument about the possibility of super-intense snowfall rates.  The Norlun in March 1992 dumped up to 24" on parts of Kennebunkport in less than 6 hours, with a couple hours of 6"+ rates.  My particular area has proved Norlun-proof so far - too far inland, as per your explanations.

41 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Ch 6 says 1".

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Hope so.  August finishes at 2.68", 67% of my average, and JJA with 7.95" (avg is 13.21"), 19th of 20 summers, topping only the 7.24" of 2002 and 1.25" more than last summer.  Fortunately, the Jan-May precip was AN this year, and I'm 2.6" ahead of last year for Jan-Aug.  (And Sept 2016 brought just 1.11"; maybe we'll move ahead of that in the first week of the month.)

Archived