Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

4 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

bring your shawl.  its like one of those fall days when you can feel the strength of the sun yet any breeze or time in the shade reminds you that summer is done.  Or in the case of this year, never really started.

Yep. CEF has had 10 days with 90 or better this summer. Their normal according to the Met at ABC 40 is 14. Likely that they'll fall short this year.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Pool thermometer is down to 70F.  I think it is off a few degrees.  Prob 66 or so despite the sun

The one in the pool here is showing 67*, the one built into the filter is showing 72*.  My wife had the heater going earlier in the week, not sure if there's much impact on the current temp at this point.  I cleaned it today, but I think it's done for the season.

67.3* off a high of 69.0.  Dog days.

As crazy as it sounds, I might fire up the stove.  The combination of the recent chilly nights and cool days makes an old place like the Pit a bit uncomfortable.  I just took a look at the August numbers for up here through today:

Days at:

90+:      0

80-89:   3

75-79:   8

70-74:   9

<70:     6

High for the month:  83.6* on the 22nd; low of 50.2* yesterday morning.

If anyone is interested in an NFL pick-em league we have two leagues which members on this board can participate in.  One of the leagues is free and has been an ongoing tradition of Eastern/American Wx for at least 10 years now.  This league is done directly through this forum in the sports thread.  

The second league is entering its third season here on the boards and is a pay-league.  He platform we've used in the past is yahoo, however, a different platform may be used this year.  

If you have any interest in participating in one or both of the leagues check out the following thread.  The more participants, the more fun the league, and for the pay league, the more potential winnings!

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/50203-nfl-pick-em-2017-2018/#comment-4596041

5 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

67.3* off a high of 69.0.  Dog days.

High of 71F up here...a beautiful day for a hike with the pup up Mansfield and then hit the Champlain Valley Fair this afternoon.  

First time in years I can remember not sweating at the Fair out in the CPV in late August.  I agree with you, the dog days of summer never came.  All windows and doors slammed shut the past few evenings/nights with temps getting well down into the 40s nightly (back to back 40F lows now).

I did smell woodsmoke this morning in the village too which was a trip.  

What a great summer it's been for outdoor recreation without fear of heatstroke lol.  I'm with Tamarack (and you probably are too), in that early June had the hottest temps near 90F (89F highest here) and since then have failed to hit even 85F.

So my wife wants to get one of those fire pits you can put anywhere outdoors with her preference being the patio. My fear is what I perceive to be the potential for scorch marks on the patio which would not make me happy.  Am I right for worrying?  

My idea is put  couple of layers of flagstones under it to preserve the originals.  

22 minutes ago, weathafella said:

So my wife wants to get one of those fire pits you can put anywhere outdoors with her preference being the patio. My fear is what I perceive to be the potential for scorch marks on the patio which would not make me happy.  Am I right for worrying?  

My idea is put  couple of layers of flagstones under it to preserve the originals.  

That will work.  Safest thing is to put another layer under the fire pit.

9 hours ago, weathafella said:

You are correct.  Could leave scorch marks.  We use some leftover bathroom floor (ceramic?) tiles and they work well.  Easy to move around the yard when necessary.  Enjoy!

Congratulations wunderground on again making your forecast pages even more aggravating.  Good thinking, pushing that data below a row of large blocks conveying important information such as grass pollen.  I'm especially fond of needing to click to a sluggishly loading tab just to see the extended forecast now.

14 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Congratulations wunderground on again making your forecast pages even more aggravating.  Good thinking, pushing that data below a row of large blocks conveying important information such as grass pollen.  I'm especially fond of needing to click to a sluggishly loading tab just to see the extended forecast now.

Despite multiple emails. They're still convinced KCWN is North Conway (used to be...not anymore) instead of Cheyenne Mountain in CO. I have also had many unanswered emails regarding my inability to edit my station information on the site and my inability to get their module for weatherlink to actually show up in wxlink when installed on my new comp (although the latter may be a Davis issue). They haven't received my data for 2 months now and I don't really miss them. The only thing I miss is having my station data show up in my iptimelapse images.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Despite multiple emails. They're still convinced KCWN is North Conway (used to be...not anymore) instead of Cheyenne Mountain in CO. I have also had many unanswered emails regarding my inability to edit my station information on the site and my inability to get their module for weatherlink to actually show up in wxlink when installed on my new comp (although the latter may be a Davis issue). They haven't received my data for 2 months now and I don't really miss them. The only thing I miss is having my station data show up in my iptimelapse images.

Yeah I've been wanting to edit my data to correct the lat/lot for my station for many years now.  It currently has me located somewhere just off the bypass.

18 hours ago, powderfreak said:

High of 71F up here...a beautiful day for a hike with the pup up Mansfield and then hit the Champlain Valley Fair this afternoon.  

First time in years I can remember not sweating at the Fair out in the CPV in late August.  I agree with you, the dog days of summer never came.  All windows and doors slammed shut the past few evenings/nights with temps getting well down into the 40s nightly (back to back 40F lows now).

I did smell woodsmoke this morning in the village too which was a trip.  

What a great summer it's been for outdoor recreation without fear of heatstroke lol.  I'm with Tamarack (and you probably are too), in that early June had the hottest temps near 90F (89F highest here) and since then have failed to hit even 85F.

Hit 91 on May 18 and "only" 88 on June 11.  The earlier day had the benefit of lower rh and leaves only half grown (at best) so less transpirational cooling.  Had 84 on June 13 & 19 and 83 sometime during my Aug. 3-19 vacation, plus some 81s during JJA.  How summer ought to be.  (Highs in Norway ran 60-70, in Iceland upper 50s.  Chilly in wind and/or rain, otherwise just wonderful.)  I've had 12 days with 80+ along with one or more during our trip.  We've had as many as 56 such days (1999) and as few as 7 (2008), and this year looks to be 2rd fewest unless we get a Sept surprise.

Edit:  "Third" fewest, not "2rd" (which is gibberish.)  ;)

2 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Wow @ the fog this AM. Vis down to like 1/8mi.  Coolest AM yet too.  42F.

Nice.  You've been similar to up here the past few days.  

We've done 40F for a low now 3 mornings in a row.

SLK has gone 33/32/33 for the last three mornings, lol.  Wonder if it's been frosty each morning there at the airstrip.

29 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Summer got tombstone piledrived with a the flip of a switch...no getting up from that. COC on top of COC in the extended.

lol nice description.  

Without trying to sound like Ski-MRG, there's been a subtle yet noticeable change in the leaves in even the past 24-48 hours.  Not leathery but it's almost like you are seeing the hints of what will happen.  Like that tree has a yellow tint, that one will be going orange, etc. It's not fall foliage but a definite sign of what's to come after 3 straight cold nights.

I think we could have an amazing foliage season with the very wet first half of summer, and now tons of dry, clear days with good diurnal ranges.  Later this week should accelerate it more.  

If we don't get a good ridge period, maybe an early foliage season?

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

lol nice description.  

Without trying to sound like Ski-MRG, there's been a subtle yet noticeable change in the leaves in even the past 24-48 hours.  Not leathery but it's almost like you are seeing the hints of what will happen.  Like that tree has a yellow tint, that one will be going orange, etc. It's not fall foliage but a definite sign of what's to come after 3 straight cold nights.

I think we could have an amazing foliage season with the very wet first half of summer, and now tons of dry, clear days with good diurnal ranges.  Later this week should accelerate it more.  

If we don't get a good ridge period, maybe an early foliage season?

I was commenting to someone the other day that we really didn't get the leathery stage this year.  I would think that with ample moisture and no big stretches of heat that the trees are a little less stressed than usual.

20 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I was commenting to someone the other day that we really didn't get the leathery stage this year.  I would think that with ample moisture and no big stretches of heat that the trees are a little less stressed than usual.

Yeah none of that dry burnt look to the leaves... I just think the going pattern looks darn near perfect to get the sugars going in the leaves.

Archived