Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah today definitely qualifies as a "dog day of August" type day.

But then we appear to break summer's back with tomorrow's FROPA....unless we get a big comeback in September sometime.

Yeah I'm toying with that notion, too ...  It's not hard given the pattern persistence to imagine the that happening sooner rather than later.  In fact, I'm surprised a bit we already haven't seen a more obvious shot across the bow type faux autumn air mass already - ...  

33 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

We turned on the AC here last night for the first time since mid July due to the humidity

Yea that was a long stretch of no AC especially for the climo time frame. Hot today. Going whitewater rafting this weekend, water will be warmer than the air. 

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

The present doesn't predict the future but looking around outside it's definitely a different kind of Mid August look. Sudden dullness to the foliage, some swamp maples starting to turn. Will be interesting how the rest of August and the fall shake out. 

Worst foliage season ever inbound.

#foliagefail

5 minutes ago, weathafella said:

You guys have to experience it to understand.  I would have never said this last week.  It's huge at least it was to me....a major life highlight.

Jerry,  Welcome back.  I told you that you would love this!  I nagged and nagged friends and family for months  (actually 3 years) to make plans to see this.  Mostly unsuccessfully. If I didn't have health crap going on I would have been down there in a nano second.   You can't take something like a total eclipse and put it on a one dimensional  screen and begin to appreciate what you saw.  The only thing that might be somewhat similar   (and I don't know)  is like watching a large tornado pass close to you.  So much to see all at once.  Of course the shear terror of that would overwhelm the senses so you wouldn't have time to take in the power of nature.  I'm so happy you got to chalk off another life changing event!

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

We turned on the AC here last night for the first time since mid July due to the humidity

82/66 here is about as uncomfortable as it's gotten in the past few months.  I can't remember another 66 dew at max heating.

BTV though looks absolutely torrid with 84/71.

We just cannot get out of the low 80s this summer.  Continues to amaze me how the brakes come on once 82F is hit.  Up at the ski area just hitting 80F has been very tough this summer.  It's like MPM-esque in these parts now.

Everyone else seems to be at least mid-80s, heck BTV was into the upper 80s.

IMG_6590.thumb.PNG.5a68d9e0b743e16924ea11af7658add9.PNG

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I don't care if a comet landed in front of me...I don't think I could give up 14-15.

Lol...yeah that was pretty incredible....and surreal.

The eclipse stuff is amazing, but it is so short...not sure I could give up 100"+ in 3 weeks. I'll def chase 2024 though.

33 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Jerry,  Welcome back.  I told you that you would love this!  I nagged and nagged friends and family for months  (actually 3 years) to make plans to see this.  Mostly unsuccessfully. If I didn't have health crap going on I would have been down there in a nano second.   You can't take something like a total eclipse and put it on a one dimensional  screen and begin to appreciate what you saw.  The only thing that might be somewhat similar   (and I don't know)  is like watching a large tornado pass close to you.  So much to see all at once.  Of course the shear terror of that would overwhelm the senses so you wouldn't have time to take in the power of nature.  I'm so happy you got to chalk off another life changing event!

Almost home Gene-awaiting a connecting flight from LGA.   OT but LGA has certainly improved from a few years ago when I avoided it when possible.

Lol at the summer is over and fall is here. I mean it's Aug 22. And folks are saying no more warmth? Based on what? Dulled leaves? Can anyone think of a late Aug into all of September where there was no warmth,, no dews in the 60's and 70's? Sept many times features our highest dews with the warm SST's. I mean fall and chilly is not settling in on Aug 22. Not to say extended deep summer either, but there's  more humid warm days to come after this weeks mild down 

Archived