Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

25 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Badass pic you got. That's awesome. 

I was prob gonna do it anyway, but watching the live feeds today and seeing the pics cemented my decision to chase in Texas in 2024. That one should be a doozy...about 4 and a half minutes of totality there and 3+ minutes in NNE. But the climo really sucks in our neck of the woods for that one...early April...ugh. 

At least we can have a decent idea 3-5 days away whether we're looking at a sprawling high or unsettled wx since it's still mostly synoptic season. We don't have to worry cirrus debris from some emaciated OH valley MCS screwing it up. Of course if it looks like a CAD setup forget it. 

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I will say...I take back some of the hype this had in totality areas. I was getting a little rolling of the eyes when listening to the talk of this, but the live shots in the areas that had totality were just awesome. I would put this as something on the list of cool things to witness before kicking the bucket. Ryan said while it got dark at CHS, there was a tstm spitting out CGs just inland from him. That had to be incredible to see.

Sounds like a cool thing to do with the kiddo in 2024

5 hours ago, CT Rain said:

Totality in SC. I have to say... I'd probably cash in a 24" HECS to see this again. 

IMG_1053.PNG

I have had this eclipse on my calendar for decades, and my mother still lives in Nashville, so the wife and I drove down to see her, and more importantly, a total eclipse. I had picked out a city park on the northern edge of Nashville, where a cedar glade meadow covers acres on high ground, with 2:21 of totality. We arrived at 11 AM, and dozens of mostly locals had already spread out in the shade of a cedar stand. Over the next couple hours, hundreds more arrived. We moved out of the shade and into the meadow with about 15 minutes to go before totality. The rapidly ebbing light gave a feeling of total unreality - colors changed, everything became bizarrely washed-out. Then totality came. All around us we heard screams of elation but also of shock. Someone's dog went into a panic and started sprinting away in confused loops. There was a deafening roar of crickets. Thousands of tiny flying gnats rose up just above our heads. The eclipse itself was the most extraordinary thing I have ever seen. It was like a late sunset, but in every direction at the same time, and the sight of the corona surrounding the black circle of the moon literally stunned me. The amazing fisheye image above captures the scene far better than anything else I have come across, but no photo seems to be able to show just how huge the moon appeared inside the corona, a black hole right in the middle of a star.

I'm hooked. 2024 will be astounding. My brother is in San Antonio and we are already planning our visit, this time with the baby girl that we are expecting in January. Forget bargaining away a HECS; I'd cash in an entire winter for one of these.

13 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Cu Killing eclipse.   From 1 to 4pm.   I think the camera automatically stops down so you really don't notice any change in brightness but the Cu sure went fast!

https://video.nest.com/clip/ec4a8aea94c14a1e96ea1c6f02a771ad.mp4

you can see it getting a little darker about 2/3 through the video loop. pretty cool stuff.

6 hours ago, WNash said:

I have had this eclipse on my calendar for decades, and my mother still lives in Nashville, so the wife and I drove down to see her, and more importantly, a total eclipse. I had picked out a city park on the northern edge of Nashville, where a cedar glade meadow covers acres on high ground, with 2:21 of totality. We arrived at 11 AM, and dozens of mostly locals had already spread out in the shade of a cedar stand. Over the next couple hours, hundreds more arrived. We moved out of the shade and into the meadow with about 15 minutes to go before totality. The rapidly ebbing light gave a feeling of total unreality - colors changed, everything became bizarrely washed-out. Then totality came. All around us we heard screams of elation but also of shock. Someone's dog went into a panic and started sprinting away in confused loops. There was a deafening roar of crickets. Thousands of tiny flying gnats rose up just above our heads. The eclipse itself was the most extraordinary thing I have ever seen. It was like a late sunset, but in every direction at the same time, and the sight of the corona surrounding the black circle of the moon literally stunned me. The amazing fisheye image above captures the scene far better than anything else I have come across, but no photo seems to be able to show just how huge the moon appeared inside the corona, a black hole right in the middle of a star.

I'm hooked. 2024 will be astounding. My brother is in San Antonio and we are already planning our visit, this time with the baby girl that we are expecting in January. Forget bargaining away a HECS; I'd cash in an entire winter for one of these.

Great write up. 

I wonder how much of this went on.  I did not know animals were affected in such a way until I had heard people discussing it yesterday.  

Sign me up...

Wednesday
Cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 80. Southwest wind around 10 mph.
Wednesday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 54. Northwest wind around 5 mph.
Thursday
Sunny, with a high near 76. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Thursday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 51.
Friday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 74.
Friday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 51.
Saturday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 72.
Saturday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 51.
Sunday
Sunday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 49.
Monday

8 hours ago, WNash said:

I was near you in Gallatin.  Awesome experience!

54 minutes ago, dendrite said:

This heat has been fairly meh. Every morning has been into the 50s here and yesterday got tempered by the eclipse. Another 24hrs and summer gets a spine fracture.

Yesterday's high of 82F here was the warmest since the first four days of the month.

This is about the warmest it seems to get this summer.  

Low of 56F this morning with the usual <1sm fog/mist was one of the warmer mornings recently.

Getting a day of 86-88F up here (which seemed to happen relatively frequently in recent summers) is like pulling teeth this year.

Hottest stretch was still in June with like a few days of 87-89F during that one legit heatwave.

8 minutes ago, eyewall said:

My shot of totality in Williamston, SC. I too would cash in a HECS for this again:
20915293_10104669035123099_5437072904803

Great shot.  And I'm stoked that with everybody else cashing their HECS we'll get the unprecedented Pioneer Valley mesoscale special, 1/3/10 style dump while you all huff our exhaust.

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Yesterday's high of 82F here was the warmest since the first four days of the month.

This is about the warmest it seems to get this summer.  

Low of 56F this morning with the usual <1sm fog/mist was one of the warmer mornings recently.

Getting a day of 86-88F up here (which seemed to happen relatively frequently in recent summers) is like pulling teeth this year.

Hottest stretch was still in June with like a few days of 87-89F during that one legit heatwave.

Reached 91 in May, hottest I've seen here in that month and 1st 90+ since June 2005.  June maxed at 88, July at just 81, and 83 so far this month (which I expect to hold serve.)  Big heat all done by June 13, unless Sept has a surprise.

53 minutes ago, radarman said:

Great shot.  And I'm stoked that with everybody else cashing their HECS we'll get the unprecedented Pioneer Valley mesoscale special, 1/3/10 style dump while you all huff our exhaust.

LOL thank you. Here is my super wide cell shot to show the landscape at totality with the 360 twilight:
20994041_10104669261379679_5742853260533

Archived