• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

Posted this in my regional thread (upstate NY).  Thought Tip might enjoy with his "cosmically induced screw job" leanings...

Finally an 80 degree plus day with full sun here.  Feels like the first one of the summer, absolutely nothing could put a dimmer on this day.  Oh wait, 60% of the sun is now disappearing behind the moon, and temp is falling....

Don't really care, just kind of funny that it seems nature is doing everything in its power this summer to avoid sun/heat by whatever means available.  

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, eekuasepinniW said:

279 here

I'd like the sun to stay at this intensity all the time when I'm doing outside work.  

Kind of neat to be standing in the sun and feel basically no warmth.

I wonder how long it'd take to drop to January climo norms if this instantly became our peak insolation.

4 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

279 here

I'd like the sun to stay at this intensity all the time when I'm doing outside work.  

Kind of neat to be standing in the sun and feel basically no warmth.

That was what I noticed.  It was like the sun lost all warmth.  Had been walking the dog before that and the sun was hot at 80F.  Then all the sudden you couldn't really feel it at all.

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Ha ...yeah... zactly.

welp - we got our 64.4 % max mag here... Have to say the air was dimmed a little, not by much but noticeable. 

7 years and we go 96.6 with that one - BUF-BTV transit.

Would be nice with high pressure, clear skies, low dews, and some snow cover. Looks like similar timing to this one. We could get a nice drop with that if everything lined up correctly. Let's throw in an aurora too.

Temp drop of about 3F here.   Afternoon sun seems like a November afternoon.   I wonder what if you took a 40% sun output with the degree above the horizon it is on  August 21rst and compared it to peak solar output on a winter day how we would compare?.  Guess this is all astronomy questions.   Okay, now we can look forward to April 8 2024.  How will the weather be on that day.  Nice 90% partial eclipse for SNE for that one and a total up north!

19 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Would be nice with high pressure, clear skies, low dews, and some snow cover. Looks like similar timing to this one. We could get a nice drop with that if everything lined up correctly. Let's throw in an aurora too.

hoo that would be a hoot.  Like an X9 flare/ejection event four days prior -

17 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Note to self 67% is not as much as you think, perhaps that is why below 70 was a failing grade. Not getting the whole leaf thing either.

We meh, 1970 was way cooler

Yeah Ginx.  Even 88% was not that much in 1994.  When I saw the total in Aruba things really start becoming errie at around 90%.  That is why even 99% coverage is much brighter than people think.  All and all this was a great weather day for the eclipse.  Couldn't ask for much more taking a 3000 mile transit across the country!  

6 minutes ago, bobbutts said:

At risk of revealing myself as an idiot, I don't understand why the image came out that way.

i know .. was just goshin'

Yeah, the image at the bottom right is tainted by glare.   The camera parses all that light the best it can but it can't do so at around that distance from the source

4 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

I was in Texas at my dad's during the July 1991 eclipse that gave Mexico totality. We had about 70% in Austin...there was no noticeable dimming at all. But it was cool to look through the solar glass that someone had and see it partially covered.

This one will probably be similar in MA today....I'd like to chase the 2024 eclipse in Texas (I have zero faith we will have clear skies in Northern New England).

It was 71.4% here and it got dim here. Almost like looking out of a car with tinted windows 

Archived