Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Sorta need a SE flow warm pattern where north of the peaks downslope while CNE/SNE are in the muck. Hopefully we can time a high just right.

Yeah...then head to BTV.  

If we get NW flow then head to GYX.

lol.  

I feel like I get clouds from both wind directions, though hope the SE flow stratus is shallow enough it can't make it all the way up here and gets blocked by the eastern VT 2,000-2,500ft ridges haha.

11 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah...then head to BTV.  

If we get NW flow then head to GYX.

lol.  

I feel like I get clouds from both wind directions, though hope the SE flow stratus is shallow enough it can't make it all the way up here and gets blocked by the eastern VT 2,000-2,500ft ridges haha.

Screw the eclipse, I'm cheering for SN+ up there

8 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Meh

A foot of April snow over a once-in-a-lifetime at your location totality? No thanks.

True fair point.  How about an April 1997 but 100-150 miles north?

I didn't see it was totality right over us.

BTV is the spot.  Highest chance of getting downslope clearing on a bunch of wind directions.

IMG_6561.PNG.59b5f3ab7b6109ead11e7747b4125355.PNG

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah if I can, I'd want to chase the 2024 eclipse by flying down to Austin and then probably driving west a bit...Austin itself will get totality, but they are on the edge of the path so it probably won't last more than a minute or two...it may last up to 4 and a half minutes in the center line which is a bit west of them.

Yep, double up on the chasecation... ACT is nice that time of year.... well, sort of.  

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 3:36 PM, OceanStWx said:

Just another unfair trade deal for the US. :ph34r:

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 3:32 PM, tamarack said:

Hope the garden gets some rain while we're in Scandinavia.  Wunderground shows almost nothing but rain for our days in Bergen and Trondheim.

And it rained on every one of the 11 days we were in Norway, though the 9th was the only all-day rain and the only day in which rain affected our plans.  I think every tourist in Oslo was visiting museums that day; we waited outside the Viking museum (3 longships used in chieftain burials about 1,000 years ago, excaved and put on display) for about 40 minutes in a downpour, awaiting the #31 bus.  Finally saw it, but the driver pointed behind him - next bus, we're full.   Inch-an-hour at 55F can be unpleasant.  (A U.Maine forestry prof once stated, "There is no such thing as inclement weather, just improper clothing." -  nicely describing our foursome.

3 hours ago, dendrite said:

lol. That's great. I wonder if my chickens will start going to bed midday. 

Maybe they'll lay two eggs that day.

Got my spot picked out near Flagstaff Lake, assuming I'm able - it's 4 weeks past my 78th.  The spot is 5-7 miles south of totality centerline, but on pavement; woods roads to the north can (are likely to) be dicey on April 8, and the more-traveled highways will probably be lined with cars on both sides.

24 minutes ago, MaineJayhawk said:

An unexpected nice day at Katahdin Saturday.  Forecasted cloudy skies cleared out when we reached Baxter Peak, but Knife Edge was largely traversed in fog.  I remember somebody else here was making the trip on the same day and wondered how they fared.IMG_20170820_115134_904.thumb.jpg.fd00311820c7a1a946d4199d4b028cd0.jpg

Wonderful pic.  Somehow that looks a bit scarier than when I went back and forth in August of 1973.  I doubt the trail has changed.

The 2024 path on the map PF posted looks about 30 miles NW of maps I'd seen earlier.  That would put my planned viewing spot on, or just off, the south edge of totality.  Got over 6 years to clear things up.

Archived