SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone have some troubleshooting options for me? I can view my wx site everywhere except from my home ISP. The data is updating to my hosting account fine so I doubt it's that. It works fine on cell data too. I've reset the modem and router, but no luck. I contacted my ISP once, but their only suggestion was to try a different browser which was no help at all. It just randomly started happening one night without me making any changes to any settings. It's been like this for days now so I don't think it's a DNS issue. Eek told me our ISP has a 250gb bandwidth limit per month, but I've never exceeded that before...seems weird I'd manage it mid month. I'm kinda stumped.

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

Anyone have some troubleshooting options for me? I can view my wx site everywhere except from my home ISP. The data is updating to my hosting account fine so I doubt it's that. It works fine on cell data too. I've reset the modem and router, but no luck. I contacted my ISP once, but their only suggestion was to try a different browser which was no help at all. It just randomly started happening one night without me making any changes to any settings. It's been like this for days now so I don't think it's a DNS issue. Eek told me our ISP has a 250gb bandwidth limit per month, but I've never exceeded that before...seems weird I'd manage it mid month. I'm kinda stumped.

I know you mentioned that you don't think it's a DNS issue but your ISP or local machine might have cached a bad IP for the site.  Have you tried changing your DNS settings to Google's?  They have two public DNS servers - 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.  You can also flush your local DNS cache.  It sounds like its a local machine issue if it comes up fine outside of that.

One other thought - can you connect your local machine to a WiFi hot spot through your phone?  What does it bring up then?

4 hours ago, dendrite said:

I considered switching to the Google DNS servers for the heck of it. The site fails on every device here...ipad, laptop, pc, phone, etc. 

1)Did you try entering the numeric ip address in the browser rather than the dns name?

2)can you ping or traceroute the numeric IP?

3) are all your devices  on the same subnet?  (wireless router, etc)  Do you have IP addresses like 192.168.x.x?  If so try using the internal ip address to connect

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

I'm out right now, but did try #1. I'll try a traceroute later tonight. And yes...all on the same subnet.

I bet it's the routing.  Presumably all the devices are set up for dhcp and you might have an internal IP address in the 1.30-40 range.  If it becomes a PITA to use the internal numbers you can set an alias in your hosts file for convenience.

22 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

.13 here. Think we are finally seeing things go back the other way. No more wet pattern. Looks like zero rain next 10 days. Who knows.. maybe all of SNE back in low end drought by Mid Sept?

LOL--can anything not be extreme with you?

FWIW:

uesday
Partly sunny with a chance of showers and thunderstorms. Patchy fog. Humid with highs in the mid 80s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Gusts up to 20 mph in the afternoon. Chance of rain 40 percent.
Tuesday Night
Showers likely with a chance of thunderstorms. Lows in the mid 60s. Chance of rain 70 percent.
Wednesday
Partly sunny with a 40 percent chance of showers. Highs in the mid 70s.

8 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

LOL--can anything not be extreme with you?

FWIW:

uesday
Partly sunny with a chance of showers and thunderstorms. Patchy fog. Humid with highs in the mid 80s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Gusts up to 20 mph in the afternoon. Chance of rain 40 percent.
Tuesday Night
Showers likely with a chance of thunderstorms. Lows in the mid 60s. Chance of rain 70 percent.
Wednesday
Partly sunny with a 40 percent chance of showers. Highs in the mid 70s.

Good luck with a few scattered showers and nighttime frontal passage lol.

42 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Good luck with a few scattered showers and nighttime frontal passage lol.

Good luck with your drought.

Looks like zero rain next 10 days. Who knows.. maybe all of SNE back in low end drought by Mid Sept?

32 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Sitting out on my deck having some coffee. What an epic day coming up can feel that deep NW flow.

Deep NW flow and subsidence will result in a sunny, comfortably dry,
and seasonably warm day today

Yup--the late days of August that have hints of a warm September day.

This is also the time of year when leaves more easily drop from the trees requiring constant skimming duty at the pool.

Archived