SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was up in Maine this weekend, so excuse the dumb question......but what happened with regard to rain out here over the weekend?  Door mat is soaked, the pool's filled above the skimmers.....that's a least 1.5" higher than it was when I left on Friday.  Door mat is soaked...

Just got back.....man what a COC evening

12 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

If one were to have read the post, it's stated within the context of the pool.  The wet mat would suggest it was recent.  I said it twice because its really wet.  :)

We were on the Cape (heading back now) but watching radar and getting texts from friends at MMJ show in N Adams sounds like a t-storm line just stalled out for 1-2 hours.  

One of the Greenfield Wunder stations had 1.5" :o

7 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

We were on the Cape (heading back now) but watching radar and getting texts from friends at MMJ show in N Adams sounds like a t-storm line just stalled out for 1-2 hours.  

One of the Greenfield Wunder stations had 1.5" :o

Thanks--that would explain it.  When was this? 

Hope you had fun on the Cape.

2 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

I was up in Maine this weekend, so excuse the dumb question......but what happened with regard to rain out here over the weekend?  Door mat is soaked, the pool's filled above the skimmers.....that's a least 1.5" higher than it was when I left on Friday.  Door mat is soaked...

Just got back.....man what a COC evening

Our pool has also added 2-3" in the last week

But our doormat is dry

10 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Man.. it's already an acorn disaster. They started falling a bit in mid July. Now it's already a massive fall everytime wind/rain event occurs. Medium to some larger sized. Anyone else seeing this early acorn disaster unfolding? 

have noticed some on the ground recently. also, some hardwoods have become a bit drought stressed and are dropping leaves.

15 hours ago, weathafella said:

Yup.  93/95/2014-torch fall periods-epic snow winters.  Hard to stay cold and wet for 6 months. 

Bold above...

Really - 

I don't remember 1995 being that way at all stomping around me -ole alma mater that year.  But I'm thinking you mean that "at some point" it torched ... ?  

I don't recall September that year (which Meteorologically is an autumn month of course...).  But chillier days and nights were not tardy in October.

I have reminisced of this in the past ... but, we started getting ice formatoins by mid October along the north-facing granite facade of the aqueduct that services the Pawtucket spill way (similar to what one may see along area roads that have been cut through folded bedrock, during cold winter stretches).  Over the five years I had given of my life to the Merrimack Valley region, that was the first time I had seen that in the month of October.  Lots of heavy steam exhalation mornings crossing the University Ave bridge, and I also distinctly recall more than a couple morning where the brightness of newly cold-snipped yellow and orange leaves was partially obscured beneath adorning young maples.  I always thought that made the downed coverage smear like Sherbet ice-cream when that happened...  heh.

I figure October is for all intents and purposes ...fair and square a 'middle autumn' time - -using that as a proxy, I don't think of 1995 as having a very warm period from about October 10 onward. But again, I wonder if you mean September was warm? 

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Bold above...

Really - 

I don't remember 1995 being that way at all stomping around me -ole alma mater that year.  But I'm thinking you mean that "at some point" it torched ... 

I don't recall September that year (which Meteorologically is an autumn month of course...).  I have reminisced of this in the past ... but, we started getting ice formatoins by mid October along the north-facing granite facade of the aqueduct that services the Pawtucket spill way (similar to what one may see along area roads that have been cut through folded bedrock, during cold winter stretches).  Over the five years I had given of my life to the Merrimack Valley region, that was the first time I had seen that in the month of October.  Lots of heavy steam exhalation mornings crossing the University Ave bridge, and I also distinctly recall more than a couple morning where the brightness of newly cold-snipped yellow and orange leaves was partially obscured beneath adorning young maples.  I always thought that made the downed coverage smear like Sherbet ice-cream when that happened...  heh.

I figure October is for all intents and purposes ...fair and square a 'middle autumn' time - -using that as a proxy, I don't think of 1995 as having a very warm period from about October 10 onward. But again, I wonder if you mean September was warm? 

John, I recall meeting a friend for dinner on Columbus Day with temperatures in the low 80s and for the season moderate to high humidity.  November it flipped big time.

Just now, weathafella said:

John, I recall meeting a friend for dinner on Columbus Day with temperatures in the low 80s and for the season moderate to high humidity.  November it flipped big time.

Hmm, well, Columbus Day is the 9th of October, so perhaps it was a second half of the month decisive bent toward cooler times.  

I also remember that interesting autumn as being just that, decisive.  Regions that turn cold, turned that way without hedging... 

In fact, speaking of that November ...I remember that first snow/sleet (3-5" er or ) that kissed Northern MA and Merrimack Valley region was 70 F in NYC.  Then, finally NYC turn chilly ... then it was PHL that was 70 while NYC was getting early cold and snow chances later toward T.G.

That was the best early winter expressing season I had ever seen, or have ever seen since. I know that other years have been good front-enders; and if I were pistol-to-head objective, they may very well statistically not prove significantly better or worse... But that was the first time in my life anyway, that persistence lent to counting on everything biasing white at least excuse imaginable... It just sort of got less mentally tenable to think it would rain from anything really ...from like a week past Halloween until the cutter pattern cracked the foundation of our delusions of grandeur in late January of '96.  It's funny how that psychology kicks in; couple three snow events and it's like entitling.  

Anyway, I could probably get my hands on the dailies from UML's weather lab,... I know the ice clinging to the granite where hydrologic pressure squeezed rivulets around the granite blocks of the sluice way may have been favored to last through 40's afternoon (which I distinctly recall many days like that nearing the 20th) by the fact that the face of that 40' facade there never sees direct sunlight.     

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

Hmm, well, Columbus Day is the 9th of October, so perhaps it was a second half of the month decisive bent toward cooler times.  

I also remember that interesting autumn as being just that, decisive.  Regions that turn cold, turned that way without hedging... 

In fact, speaking of that November ...I remember that first snow/sleet (3-5" er or ) that kissed Northern MA and Merrimack Valley region was 70 F in NYC.  Then, finally NYC turn chilly ... then it was PHL that was 70 while NYC was getting early cold and snow chances later toward T.G.

That was the best early winter expressing season I had ever seen, or have ever seen since. I know that other years have been good front-enders; and if I were pistol-to-head objective, they may very well statistically not prove significantly better or worse... But that was the first time in my life anyway, that persistence lent to counting on everything biasing white at least excuse imaginable... It just sort of got less mentally tenable to think it would rain from anything really ...from like a week past Halloween until the cutter pattern cracked the foundation of our delusions of grandeur in late January of '96.  It's funny how that psychology kicks in; couple three snow events and it's like entitling.  

Anyway, I could probably get my hands on the dailies from UML's weather lab,... I know the ice clinging to the granite where hydrologic pressure squeezed rivulets around the granite blocks of the sluice way may have been favored to last through 40's afternoon (which I distinctly recall many days like that nearing the 20th) by the fact that the face of that 40' facade there never sees direct sunlight.     

11/29 was a solid snow dump for most of SNE.  It was also the day of my mother's demise.  We had spent the week in Rochester,NY and when she stabilized we came home.  Temps on the 28th were way above normal and the 29th was anafrontal.  3-6 around Boston.  We went back to Rochester that night and returned around 12/10.  Deep winter at that point.

2 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Have we seen our last  90° reading until May 2018?

Heh ..not sure... 

It's getting harder - that starts really now (15th) onward, and that slope of negating probability to do so obviously steepens going forward.   I am not sure what the exact return rate/percent chances are for 90 F in those first 10 days of September, but there are a handful of years where that was achieved - even heat waves.  I remember back in the 1980s there was a heat wave that almost got us a day off from school in the first week of school year.  We also just had a hot week in early September ...I wanna say 2012?  

Right now the pattern/tenor of the recent operational models are trying to heat things up between the 20th and September 1 ...which is plenty early enough to get it done still.  Wait and see - 

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Drought stressed up there? I thought you've had tons of rain.

not sure the exact amount of rain, but the last month or so has been pretty dry in the BOS area. the occasional convective storms aren't getting it done.

12 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Heh ..not sure... 

It's getting harder - that starts really now (15th) onward, and that slope of negating probability to do so obviously steepens going forward.   I am not sure what the exact return rate/percent chances are for 90 F in those first 10 days of September, but there are a handful of years where that was achieved - even heat waves.  I remember back in the 1980s there was a heat wave that almost got us a day off from school in the first week of school year.  We also just had a hot week in early September ...I wanna say 2012?  

Right now the pattern/tenor of the recent operational models are trying to heat things up between the 20th and September 1 ...which is plenty early enough to get it done still.  Wait and see - 

9/11/13 beat out 7/22/11 as our hottest heat index ever on the UMass Amherst PWS

Oct 95 was a +3.7F up here....+5F on max temps. Nov averaged cold (-4F), but we had quite a few wet events (slop to rain) and HWWs if I recall correctly. The idea of a flip at the end of the month was just that we had that snow event and then we were into deep winter continuously right into Jan.

Archived