Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice write up by NWS Upton. Anyone else remember this event? My basement got flooded during this.

https://www.weather.gov/okx/HistoricFlooding_081314

...SUFFOLK COUNTY...
   ISLIP AIRPORT        13.27  1030 AM  8/13  ASOS
   HOLBROOK             12.57   119 PM  8/13  NWS EMPLOYEE
   WEST ISLIP           11.50   958 AM  8/13  TRAINED SPOTTER
   BAY SHORE            11.35   915 AM  8/13  TRAINED SPOTTER
   ISLIP                10.20   850 AM  8/13  TRAINED SPOTTER
...NEW HAVEN COUNTY...
   MADISON               4.50   909 AM  8/13  PUBLIC
   NEW HAVEN             2.70  1025 AM  8/13  ASOS
   HAMDEN                1.62   940 AM  8/13  TRAINED SPOTTER
   MERIDEN               0.96  1029 AM  8/13  ASOS

islip.JPG

ISP did most of that in just a handful of hours in the morning too. We joke about rainfall rates with our Davis stations in here, but those are short-lived, estimated instantaneous rates. ISP pulled about 11" of that in a roughly 2.5hr span that morning. Seeing the 71310 in the remarks is still the highest 24hr total I can recall seeing in a METAR.

25 minutes ago, dendrite said:

ISP did most of that in just a handful of hours in the morning too. We joke about rainfall rates with our Davis stations in here, but those are short-lived, estimated instantaneous rates. ISP pulled about 11" of that in a roughly 2.5hr span that morning. Seeing the 71310 in the remarks is still the highest 24hr total I can recall seeing in a METAR.

The 1 minute data is crazy.

1minutedata.png

10 minutes ago, BrianW said:

The 1 minute data is crazy.

1minutedata.png

I pulled my first 0.13" in a minute ob the other day and they managed to average that over a 10 minute span. That much rain in a minute is insane. I'd toss that Unionville, MD 1.00" in a minute as far as I can throw.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I like falls in the 40's and 50's. Oct onwards. No one wants 2011 repeat with 80's and dews 

2011 did give us the biggest October snowfall on record for many. That was a great way to run a torchy fall. 

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

2011 did give us the biggest October snowfall on record for many. That was a great way to run a torchy fall. 

I will say,, I would take another awful fall and winter like 2011.. if we could have a repeat or worse of that storm. If I was promised that .. I'd be perfectly fine with it 

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

So you like -10 departures? Lots of room for disappointment there..climo highs in the mid 40s for most of SNE to end November.

I'd like a +5F month on the max temps with one cold blast around the equinox with lows near freezing. Other than that, I can do without 60/45 days that month. 

I'd have to look back at the numbers, but I remember loving everything about summer/fall/winter 95. Big heat and severe in the summer, early freeze in Sep but lots of torch days in the early fall, then a big flip in late Novie and riding cold and snow through Xmas. 

8 hours ago, dendrite said:

I guess it's settled then!

Rather than NWS Bos  posting the image, perhaps someone there could have done something similar to this https://www.weather.gov/media/dtx/climate/DTX_Summer2017_Outlook.pdf....but for the upcoming fall season ..... The worse part about the image getting posted is that now the rest of us are going to have to "hear" ad nauseum   about how crappy the winter of 17-18 is going to be.

Archived