SnowHabit
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

Sweet!

Nice picture from Panama Beach.  Take a ride west along the coast for 30 miles.  Amazing amount of new development all the way to  Destin Beach.  Nothing was nothing there 20 years ago but sand dunes.  Now beautiful upscale towns,  Seaside,  Rosemary Beach, Sunnyside all right on the beach.  A northward moving 'cane would just decimate this area.

2 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Nice picture from Panama Beach.  Take a ride west along the coast for 30 miles.  Amazing amount of new development all the way to  Destin Beach.  Nothing was nothing there 20 years ago but sand dunes.  Now beautiful upscale towns,  Seaside,  Rosemary Beach, Sunnyside all right on the beach.  A northward moving 'cane would just decimate this area.

Yep. Those are really nice towns......that are waaaaaaay too rich for my meager budget.  Beautiful beaches though. I've been coming here roughly every other year since 2000 or so and made my first trip down here over 30 years ago. The amount of development in that time is crazy. 

15 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Tons of monarchs around this year. Got to actually see one laying eggs in my milkweed patch.  Will need help naming the baby cats once they hatch.

eek,   Do Bald Eagles like butterflies?   Just saw this on my facebook feed.  Taken on Christmas Island near the Weirs today.  I think that is very close to you?

eagle.jpg

28 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

eek,   Do Bald Eagles like butterflies?   Just saw this on my facebook feed.  Taken on Christmas Island near the Weirs today.  I think that is very close to you?

eagle.jpg

Nice.  I don't think butterflies have enough meat on them, so they're safe.  There has been a pair of resident eagles around the Weirs for a long time. I mostly see them in the winter.

That picture also illustrates something else, which is the exceptionally heavy cone crop on the white pines this year.  Many of them have drooping branches and look like they do during an ice storm.  Could make for some enhanced damage potential during wet and windy storms. Also, tons of brown needles and current-year twig death.

Archived