• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

Dickie gone.  Wow, that was a shock.  I never met him but he seemed like a really nice guy!!

I'm 60 and grew up in the Boston area for much of my life.  Always watched all 3 TV stations to get different input from the Mets.  Dick was one of those Mets.  Going all the way back to my childhood, my hero as a kid was Don Kent.  He was the first generation of on air Mets for Boston.  Don was an absolute legend in his time and I met him once.  To me as a kid it was like meeting Babe Ruth.  Then the next generation was Harvey, Barry, Bruce and Dick Albert.  I know Harv and Barry as acquaintances but not Dick.  Those were the days when on air Mets were Mets first and TV personalities second.  Moved away from Boston in 2001.  Now I don't even watch TV weather forecasting much.  With the internet I can just look at the data myself and of course get the huge input from this board.  AMWX is my number one go to.   

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Dickie gone.  Wow, that was a shock.  I never met him but he seemed like a really nice guy!!

I'm 60 and grew up in the Boston area for much of my life.  Always watched all 3 TV stations to get different input from the Mets.  Dick was one of those Mets.  Going all the way back to my childhood, my hero as a kid was Don Kent.  He was the first generation of on air Mets for Boston.  Don was an absolute legend in his time and I met him once.  To me as a kid it was like meeting Babe Ruth.  Then the next generation was Harvey, Barry, Bruce and Dick Albert.  I know Harv and Barry as acquaintances but not Dick.  Those were the days when on air Mets were Mets first and TV personalities second.  Moved away from Boston in 2001.  Now I don't even watch TV weather forecasting much.  With the internet I can just look at the data myself and of course get the huge input from this board.  AMWX is my number one go to.   

shocked...73! what a shame, the old days of Chet,Natilie , etc

On 8/3/2017 at 6:07 PM, powderfreak said:

I'm also forgetting its BDL and not MVL/MPV/BML/HIE type where every night hits saturation with fog if it's clear skies.

I mean I can make pretty darn good guesses up here of overnight lows just by the afternoon dew points.  We radiate down to within a couple degrees of the mid-afternoon dews probably 66-75% of the time.  

This morning's low was 56F...and guess what yesterday afternoon's low dew was?  56F.  It's like clock work.

Just following up on this after another day and how consistent it can be...I still think you'd have at least a 66-75% success rate if you just took the previous afternoon's lowest dew point and used that to forecast the low temp the next morning provided there are no FROPA passages.

This morning's low was 59F...and guess what yesterday afternoon's low dew was?  59F.  It's like clock work. 

100% RH with fog pretty much every night in the summer here in the mountain valleys too.

MVL_low_dew.jpg.d1433ba1deb0298fceafc8de4e698a22.jpg

52 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I'm closing on 71-gotta remind myself again that this journey is finite.

Grandad just turned 95 on Tuesday. He made a toast and said just that, "the journey is finite, make the most of it". I shall take those words to heart.

I was evidently right on the very edge of a concentrated area of wind.  As soon as I pulled out of my driveway, I immediately ran into tons of twigs/leaves covering the sides and middle of the road along a 1/2 mile long stretch.  One huge limb from a white pine was cut and left laying at the roadside.  

Good stuff.

10 hours ago, weathafella said:

I'm closing on 71-gotta remind myself again that this journey is finite.

I'm 20 years your junior by 20 years.  I feel reminded of that every day.

6 hours ago, ineedsnow said:

Just joined the dad world!!!! A new weenie came out at 845 pm weighing 10lb 4ozs and 22 inches long.... Hea a little beast :):):)

Congratulations!

12 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Dick was the 1st TV Met that I remember growing up.  We were a CH 5 news watcher.  Came to my elementary school when I was in the 3rd grade.

When I was in second grade, we did a mock news broadcast a few days before he came to visit us (Lewis School...). I got to be the met so I watched him and Don Kent to see what to do. I drew a map of New England.   Put big L's all over it.    

Im kinda shocked at his passing...73 is young

6 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

When I was in second grade, we did a mock news broadcast a few days before he came to visit us (Lewis School...). I got to be the met so I watched him and Don Kent to see what to do. I drew a map of New England.   Put big L's all over it.    

Im kinda shocked at his passing...73 is young

Did it show a QPF cut-off in Franklin County?

5 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

It is what it is, and the cool summer continues.  It's not likely, but possible I can make 4 days straight in the 60's beginning today. 

we have No clue what you're talking about. Hasn't been a cool summer anywhere. Just not hot.

But to have it rain every other day this summer..it's just too much

Archived