• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

Fyi, it has been a very humid summer for Plymouth and Cape Cod. Lots of Days with dews in the 70s. Not much rain in my area for July. After a few months stretch of getting 5 and 6 inches, July was about 2inches, and from two events. There have been periodic breaks in the humidity, but then it comes roaring back. August has started out very humid. Dews staying around 68. No rain here yesterday, seems like there was a forcefield over the cape the stretched to about Brockton/Duxbury...anything west of that bubble got clobbered. Waiting to see if the Tropics start waking up....

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

Fyi, it has been a very humid summer for Plymouth and Cape Cod. Lots of Days with dews in the 70s. Not much rain in my area for July. After a few months stretch of getting 5 and 6 inches, July was about 2inches, and from two events. There have been periodic breaks in the humidity, but then it comes roaring back. August has started out very humid. Dews staying around 68. No rain here yesterday, seems like there was a forcefield over the cape the stretched to about Brockton/Duxbury...anything west of that bubble got clobbered. Waiting to see if the Tropics start waking up....

AMOUT

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

The Cape area is usually humid later in July and August. It gets hard to get dews under 60 there in August because of SSTs.

DIT will use that as proof of a humid summer when the Cape area is surrounded by water on three sides.

The fact that the minimum temps at BDL were below normal for July doesn't smack of a humid summer to me.  But I'm also not down there, though when I visited he was saying how humid it was and I thought it was pretty darn nice, so might just have different expectations.

I'd like to see all ASOS stay above 65F dews for days or even weeks at a time like some recent summers before calling it a summer known for humidity.  

Crazy looking at BDL in July 2013 if you want to talk about humidity.

16 of the first 19 days of the month saw the temperature never drop below 70F, with some of those nights being like 75F or 76F for lows.  

Two stretches looked real brutal. 

One was an 8-day stretch of 70+ temps (no mins below 70F) and then another 6 day stretch where the temp failed to dip below 70F again.

Thats some high dews to cause that type of stretch.  

Quick question for you guys.  Its 1pm.  GOES 16 shows Cu moving north from SNE towards me in CNE.  Up here there are some towering Cu and pop up showers but down there it looks like lower quick moving shallow clouds.  Is that because the dewpoints are higher down there?  It's just kind of interesting its all down there.

Jeez,  2 posts in a row from me...

Big antique car show up here in Dendrite Land on Saturday 10-2pm.  They have asked me for a forecast and if they should reschedule till Sunday.  I thought we were okay since fropa is later in the day and showers/storms would be after the show.  Now I'm getting nervous.  They can reschedule to Sunday but its a big deal with thousands of people coming.  Waiting for the 12Z Euro but 12Z GFS shows me precip could come in earlier than 2pm.  Thoughts for my backyard up here?

28 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Front always was coming in morning 

Im going to call them now and tell them to reschedule till Sunday....  Kind of confused as Gray's discussion says around 0Z Sunday.  That would put convection in the PM.  Either way Sunday is safer....

Brian,  I think that webcam is over on the NE side of lake Winni looking back towards your area? 

Front approaches the region Saturday and crosses the region a
few hours either side of 00Z Sun. This will put the best chc for
convection mid afternoon into the evening. Depending on heating
and subsequent destabilization of the atmosphere, could see
strong to sever storms Sat afternoon/evening.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

My guess is that is slightly BN.

Yeah 62F in the dewpoint-pooling CT Valley for July doesn't strike me as being above average humidity. ORH had an average July dewpoint of 57F. I definitely thought there were WAY too many days with dews in the 40s and lows 50s to consider this a humid month.

Avg July dewpoint at ORH by year:

2017: 57F

2016: 59F

2015: 60F

2014: 60F

2013: 66F (!!)

2012: 60F

2011: 61F

2010: 62F

2009: 58F

2008: 62F

2007: 59F

2006: 63F

2005: 61F

2004: 59F

2003: 62F

2002: 60F

2001: 57F

2000: 57F

1999: 61F

1998: 61F

So you have to go back to 2001 to get another July with a dewpoint as low as 2017 in ORH...doesn't sound like a humid month to me.

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

BDL

July 2013: 67F

July 2017: 62F

That's interesting as the average low in July 2013 is 69F at BDL.

I would've thought the dews would be a bit higher more like what the average low was.

Like July 2017 makes sense as the average low was 62F.  

Either way, this summer is likely at least slightly below normal humidity like temps.

59 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I would've thought the dews would be a bit higher more like what the average low was.

Either way, this summer is likely at least slightly below normal humidity like temps.

Dews are often highest at night into morning and mix out some in the afternoon around here, especially on the downsloping winds.  Average dew probably takes that into account. Lots of 70 dews in the AM drop into the low-mid 60s in the PM.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Well it's not like you're going to hit saturation every night either. There were a lot of HHH airmasses with Poor decoupling that July. ASOS rarely records dewpoint depressions of 0F too despite thick fog. A lot goes into it. Correlating avg lows to avg dews is just a crude way to estimate it.

13 minutes ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

Dews are often highest at night into morning and mix out some in the afternoon around here, especially on the downsloping winds.  Average dew probably takes that into account. Lots of 70 dews in the AM drop into the low-mid 60s in the PM.

Usually you get an evening bump as the sfc dew starts forming, a slow drop as you radiate and decouple toward saturation, and thenanother bump up after sunrise when the moisture evaporates from the wet surfaces due to fog/dew. Then, like you mentioned, the dews often drop in the afternoon with deeper mixing. We've been sorta seeing the opposite of that up here this week though. We've had a cooler, shallow airmass drain in for the overnight hours and then with mixing the muggier dews get mixed down.

Archived