Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

The summer of humidity and soakings continues 

I honestly do not think you'll convince many on this forum that this is a humid summer, but to each their own.  The soakings have been there.

A humid summer should see the average minimum temperatures be well above normal which hasn't been the case.  Remember a couple summers ago when BDL set its warmest July ever, mostly because of high minimum temps?  That was a humid summer.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

In Mass this area around Acton, Maynard and Concord is pretty insane too... that's a decent sized footprint of 2-4" rains over all three towns. 

3.63" in Concord, 3.45" in Maynard and 3.40" in Acton.

8SLk7NL.jpg

Dorchester, MA also looks quite damp with widespread 2-4".

I mean this isn't just scattered heavy downpours... there are up to half a dozen areas of towns in SNE that saw 2-4" of rainfall.

zdhB3zP.jpg

It was predicted...or at least assumed given the setup. You had high CAPE and no shear, so training is naturally assumed given sea breeze front. I didn't think areas on the coast would have a chance, but boundaries ftw. Hr 6 of thunder here lol. Not much to show, but all around me got smacked. My old condo in Dorchester probably was under water. 4" of rain in 80 minutes in an urban area will do it. That storm formed on a boundary collision. I don't think I've ever seen winds literally blow from all directions within a 6 hr period. 

Just now, CoastalWx said:

It was predicted...or at least assumed given the setup. You had high CAPE and no shear, so training is naturally assumed given sea breeze front. I didn't think areas on the coast would have a chance, but boundaries ftw. Hr 6 of thunder here lol. Not much to show, but all around me got smacked. My old condo in Dorchester probably was under water. 4" of rain in 80 minutes in an urban area will do it. That storm formed on a boundary collision. I don't think I've ever seen winds literally blow from all directions within a 6 hr period. 

Nice...one of my favorite type of days in the summer is the long lasting thunder even if you aren't getting smoked.  Just hearing the constant rumbling and occasional sharper crack when storms get close is a lot of fun. 

I wasn't paying attention to much until I just got home a little while ago from a long day at work on the mountain, but looks like a pretty exciting day in SNE.  I honestly have a hard time envisioning those rainfall rates and totals in highly urbanized areas like Dorchester.  That's got storm drain over-load written all over it.  The stuff where you see cars with water up to their mirrors stalled under bridges and underpasses.

10 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I honestly do not think you'll convince many on this forum that this is a humid summer, but to each their own.  The soakings have been there.

A humid summer should see the average minimum temperatures be well above normal which hasn't been the case.  Remember a couple summers ago when BDL set its warmest July ever, mostly because of high minimum temps?  That was a humid summer.

Not up there no.. last few days great example. SNE has had 60's dews all week and 70's today .. while you and Dendrite slapping high coc k fives about dews in 50's. 

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Nice...one of my favorite type of days in the summer is the long lasting thunder even if you aren't getting smoked.  Just hearing the constant rumbling and occasional sharper crack when storms get close is a lot of fun. 

I wasn't paying attention to much until I just got home a little while ago from a long day at work on the mountain, but looks like a pretty exciting day in SNE.  I honestly have a hard time envisioning those rainfall rates and totals in highly urbanized areas like Dorchester.  That's got storm drain over-load written all over it.  The stuff where you see cars with water up to their mirrors stalled under bridges and underpasses.

White knuckle drive for my wife who had to go into the city to get my son from school while she's on maternity still. Expressway was flooding. Jay in southie had hail. My wife actually had a hail alert come in on her Waze app lol. That area of Dorchester/Milton/Quincy got crushed. My son was excited to tell me about it when he got home. He's definitely a weenie. Probably the most excitement around here since the morning/afternoon severe back on 8/4/15. My wife left here with my neighbors house and cars damaged by lightning, only to have golf balls bounce off the roof at Northeastern in the afternoon. 

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

It's been a comfortable summer in N Connecticut with some well below normal temperature day's thrown into the mix. It seems like it's been raining nearly every other day thpugh.

4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

https://twitter.com/lelethomps/status/892879626371964928

14 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Here' last year's local estimate

Product/Service
Scope of Work:
In the area bordered by the driveway, house, ledge, and woods, install a mix of screened loam and compost. This will provide a
nutrient rich, loose medium into which grass seed will root.
-This entire area will be covered with at least 1" of graded loose loam, some area will have a greater depth.
-At the edge of the road, near the mulch bed add approximately 2"-3" of loam.
-In the thin areas along the driveway, near the mulch bed, add approximately 2"-3" of loam.
-Around the large tree in the middle of this space add approximately 2"-3" of loam.
-At the base of the slope, near the driveway and ledge where the grass is thin, add 2"-3" of loam.
-Around the top of the exposed ledge add approximately 2"-3" of loam.
-There may be additional bare or very thin spots that will require 2"-3" of loam.
Install erosion matting on the steepest parts of the slope as well as the are near the edge of the road at the mulch bed.
-This will help keep the grass seed in place as it germinates.
Hydroseed this entire area using a Park Sun/Shade mix. The Hydroseed blend includes germination fertilizer, protective wood
mulch, lime, and grass seed.
-This is approximately 5800sq.ft.
*This proposal includes 32 yards of loam and 8 yards of compost. This totals $1184.00.
*Labor to spread the loam, erosion matting, and soil stakes total $1224.25.
*The Hydroseed application, including labor and materials, totals $464.00.
Subtotal:
Tax:
$2,872.25
$0.00
Total:
$2,872.25

oh I believed the quote. just seems like an awful lot of $ for a 5k square foot area. like I said, you can do it yourself for a fraction of the cost.

Hours of storming yesterday, had about 2-3" of rain. The lightning was absurd. Three BFD boxes struck in the Southie/Dot area for lightning strikes. House shaking strikes. We even had small hail. 

Several Dot roads underwater, Columbia Rd Adams St Morrissey Blvd. MBTA buses loaded with people filled with water. Definitely a fun one in a normally sh*t area for storms.

13 hours ago, KoalaBeer said:

Hey Guys,

Long time lurker first time poster. Only got a very brief light shower at work in Salem, NH. I did however get a photo of some cool Mammatus clouds attached below (hopefully works, like I said first post.)

By the way does anyone else seem like the Merrimack Valley area (Methuen, Dracut, Lawrence) area seems to be an area that just kills off Thunderstorms? I know it's easy for me being a weather enthusiast to believe that I'm just overthinking it and thunderstorms are hit or miss in nature. But after living in the same area for 27 years I have consistently seen storms die off quickly coming from the west (usually just west of Lowell) or pass by and explode right over Haverhill and points east. Also I see lines of storms set up just south of here (Leominster_--> Littleton --> Burlington corridor) and just north (Nashua --> Derry -->Manchester area) all the time but very infrequently here. Anyone else or am I just crazy and jealous of those getting the action today? 

IMG_2464.JPG

Welcome.

I have been in Methuen the last 10 years.  What you said is exactly what happens, just about every time.  There was a microburst about 1 mile to my north, I think last year and another one about 5 miles to my south.  The last good t-storm at my house was probably in Aug, 2014.  But typically they die before they get here or refire on the east side.  We do get a lot of mammatus from the storms to the south tho.  Got lots of pics of that :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

I believe a tree hit a pole which snapped as car was passing, somehow the power line was under the car and than bounced back up. Just a theory I only ran across a pic and a statement that everyone was Ok.

It could be those metal support lines on the power pole. That's my guess.

Archived