Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

15 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah this forum shouldn't be used as a normal barometer for preferred weather by the public. Probably at least 75% of the public hates cold/snow in the winter....but we love it. I don't mind a good solid heat wave once in a while either...though I def prefer the 75/55 days on average to the HHH days.

I enjoy the cold less and less as I get older.  I have no use for it anymore.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, weathafella said:

Lol...young senior.   I'm 70.   When you're older, your joints love heat and your skin loves humidity.  That said, if I'm going on a hike that requires some effort I prefer wx that enables me to keep going and not carry 5 liters of water.  As far as folks working outdoors, particularly police and firemen who have hot uniforms, most like the general population prefer cooler and less humid but a minority probably prefer HHH.  

We are a cold and snow bb.   Few of us lament the plight of outdoor workers in mid winter when we're high fiving each other on a cold day with snow on the way.

I guess I'm the weird one, then, because I despise HHH at all times, not just when I'm thrashing thru the woods.  Of course, I've been blessed with general good health, and many folks our age are less fortunate.  I still enjoy even bottom-of-winter cold, though I no longer go ice fishing on subzero mornings - maintaining my topwater traps becomes a real bear.  The loggers who fund most of my salary want consistent cold with a fair amount of snow during winter.  Minus 40 isn't desired (machinery becomes hard to start and easy to break) but +40 can have an even bigger negative impact on frozen-ground harvesting.  And snowplow drivers live for the overtime.  (I certainly agree that bitter temps aren't good for first responders, and especially hazardous for firefighters.)

Except for the big rains evading my area (June-July precip is 3.96" BN), this month has been boring but gorgeous.  Unless today reaches mid 80s, we'll finish with 10 straight BN means, though also with just 0.18" in the final 13 days.  High for the month is 81 (2X) and low 42, this past Saturday.  If today can top out below 80, the month will have 25 days with 70s for highs, and a max of 76 would put the month mean max at 75.00, quite fitting.  (I think we get a bit warmer, though.)

56 minutes ago, tamarack said:

I guess I'm the weird one, then, because I despise HHH at all times, not just when I'm thrashing thru the woods.  Of course, I've been blessed with general good health, and many folks our age are less fortunate.  I still enjoy even bottom-of-winter cold, though I no longer go ice fishing on subzero mornings - maintaining my topwater traps becomes a real bear.  The loggers who fund most of my salary want consistent cold with a fair amount of snow during winter.  Minus 40 isn't desired (machinery becomes hard to start and easy to break) but +40 can have an even bigger negative impact on frozen-ground harvesting.  And snowplow drivers live for the overtime.  (I certainly agree that bitter temps aren't good for first responders, and especially hazardous for firefighters.)

Except for the big rains evading my area (June-July precip is 3.96" BN), this month has been boring but gorgeous.  Unless today reaches mid 80s, we'll finish with 10 straight BN means, though also with just 0.18" in the final 13 days.  High for the month is 81 (2X) and low 42, this past Saturday.  If today can top out below 80, the month will have 25 days with 70s for highs, and a max of 76 would put the month mean max at 75.00, quite fitting.  (I think we get a bit warmer, though.)

We're close to the same age but you're older by a bit.  I still think the best thing to do is what you enjoy.  I fished a lot as a young person and I imagine ice fishing would be freezing!  Skating is fun but I haven't done it in about 7-8 years.  I've grown more averse to cold in the past 5 years.  With snow I take it but without I find it useless.

55 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

No built before the time period. But have several good friends in town that have it. One just week found out it will cost $267.000 . Unreal

I have a friend in Coventry that is about to walk away from his house as its practically worthless. What year was your house built? Have you had it checked out and confirmed? 

be that as it may ... there is less empirical evidence to suggest going lower is the scientific course of least regret.  

if we want to get into 'not what we want' because it means less snow ( :D ) sure... let's take the under. 

hahahaha

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I'm not sure warming always means less snow, at least to a point...

it was tongue in cheek ...

but yeah, to a point.  should be okay 

the problem is, this climate change business is not a linear affair....  it's "accelerating" people can't get their heads around that.  Well...for that matter, deniers argue about the color shoes they're wearing while standing on the railroad track to begin with so far be it..     Not "you" per se - just sayn'

the climate models do move the 'winter bands' ( to mention, agricultural one's too) N given decades ... but the problem is, as these recent studies are showing, that acceleration aspect is making the original outlooks slower than is what is being observed. 

whose to say if winters as we know it rarefy in our lifetimes ...sooner or later.   

8 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I'm not sure warming always means less snow, at least to a point...anyway, I won't lose sleep over whether the grounds keeper at the cemetery has to shovel less snow off of my site.

LMAO--classic Ray line there.  Maybe they can etch that into your tombstone.

What's the deal with the foundations folks are talking about?  My loose stone foundation has kept the Pit standing for 220 years.

Pretty warm today--up to 78.9*.  No doubt will make it into the 80's, ftl.

12 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

What's the deal with the foundations folks are talking about?  My loose stone foundation has kept the Pit standing for 220 years.

http://www.ccacb.org/background.html

2 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Funny you mention this ... 

My house is tiny... but, it was built on field stone foundation to a depth of ~ 5 ft of overhead when accessing the 'crawlspace' 

I'm no structural engineer, but having to routinely access that terrifyingly musty scary bug infested fetid serial killer's dream space to reset the power when the kitchen trips the switch ...I've noticed that some of the vertical walls appear to be bowing slightly...and some of the stones are herniated a bit.  

The house is 109 years old believe it or not... this tiny little (barn) of a house, 109 years.  And, judging by the 2X4s that are forested between the underside of the house flooring down to the rat-slab concrete base, the walls were never addressed properly and they've been jamming the boards up under the jousts instead..  The stones have never been pointed with mortar ... ugh...  f'n catastrophe.   Old houses... what can you do.  

.... I wanna put this sucker back on the market this time next year so I'm hoping to get that money back it's costing me to get this house ready for any sort of inspection - the problem is, the guy that inspected it for me before my purchase 5 clicks ago ...whitewashed the severity of what was needed down there.  he was provided by the real estate agent and not me - learned a lesson there.   oy

49 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I'm not sure warming always means less snow, at least to a point...anyway, I won't lose sleep over whether the grounds keeper at the cemetery has to shovel less snow off of my site.

It's also not the same on a seasonal and spacial scale either...our winters have cooled in our latitude band the past 2 decades. Yeah, that's more than offset by the large warming in the arctic. But it's proof that we should be quite leery of forecasts of ORH averaging 40" of snow per season by 2035 (one recent study had this...they claimed snowfall would be reduced by over 40% in our region by that point)....sorry, that doesn't pass the sniff test...I've probably looked at New England snowfall more than 99.999% of the population and know a B.S. claim when I see one.

Part of the reason is geography...we stick out in the Atlantic north of a naturally occurring baroclinic zone...so even if you tack on 0.7C of warming to our current winter temps in the next 20 years (a big assumption in itself), it doesn't justify a 40% reduction in snowfall necessarily.

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Funny you mention this ... 

My house is tiny... but, it was built on field stone foundation to a depth of ~ 5 ft of overhead when accessing the 'crawlspace' 

I'm no structural engineer, but having to routinely access that terrifyingly musty scary bug infested fetid serial killer's dream space to reset the power when the kitchen trips the switch ...I've noticed that some of the vertical walls appear to be bowing slightly...and some of the stones are herniated a bit.  

The house is 109 years old believe it or not... this tiny little (barn) of a house, 109 years.  And, judging by the 2X4s that are forested between the underside of the house flooring down to the rat-slab concrete base, the walls were never addressed properly and they've been jamming the boards up under the jousts instead..  The stones have never been pointed with mortar ... ugh...  f'n catastrophe.   Old houses... what can you do.  

.... I wanna put this sucker back on the market this time next year so I'm hoping to get that money back it's costing me to get this house ready for any sort of inspection - the problem is, the guy that inspected it for me before my purchase 5 clicks ago ...whitewashed the severity of what was needed down there.  he was provided by the real estate agent and not me - learned a lesson there.   oy

Yeah...it def pays off to hire your own inspector that you can vett yourself.  Fortunately we were told that before we went house shopping years ago. 

Pool temp is back to 73F off last week's low of 68.    Maybe add another 1F with today's sun and temps

2 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

Cliff Notes version:  The material used as aggregate for the foundation concrete was chemically reactive with Portland cement, leading to loss of structural integrity.  The only fix, other than demolition/start over, is to remove/replace the foundation.   $$$$$

The warm temps/less snow probably works out best as one moves south of, say, 41N (and climbing) in the Northeast.  DCA/BWI are on the edge where 1-2F can make a huge difference, while 23 vs. 25 at ORH usually doesn't change much.  The farther north of that parallel, the less chance that warmth will decrease snowfall and the increasing chance of just the opposite.  Classic examples at my place include January 2014 (3.4F BN and least snowy of 19 Januarys) and this past February, 5.9F AN and 2nd snowiest for any month, 98-99 onward.

2 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

It's primarily a NE CT problem. Thousands of homes built from late 80's thru 90's affected. Cracks, crumbling.. then homes come down. No help from insurance , so you either walk away with huge loss, or fix it for 100's of 1,000's.

29 minutes ago, dendrite said:

2 hours of 88F at CON following a low of 50F. 40F ranges are impressive in late July.

Nice that is impressive.

We won't make it up here... low of 48F and a high of at least 83F so far (today may tie the warmest day for July if it hit 84F between obs), so only a 35 diurnal range it looks like right now.

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

The warm temps/less snow probably works out best as one moves south of, say, 41N (and climbing) in the Northeast.  DCA/BWI are on the edge where 1-2F can make a huge difference, while 23 vs. 25 at ORH usually doesn't change much.  The farther north of that parallel, the less chance that warmth will decrease snowfall and the increasing chance of just the opposite.  Classic examples at my place include January 2014 (3.4F BN and least snowy of 19 Januarys) and this past February, 5.9F AN and 2nd snowiest for any month, 98-99 onward.

Yeah I know we've hashed this out to no end on this forum, but no fear up here of slight warming doing anything to snowfall.  If anything I would fully expect snowfall to increase in the northern mountains with a warming climate....we've got a long way to go to hit that threshold where 1C rise would cause a sharp drop in snowfall.  I agree with you that band seems to be down in the mid-Atlantic area where some warming might see them really decrease in snowfall.

However down there, if they continue to see a decent frequency of large storms, all it takes is one 12-24" coastal storm and they're good for the season.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I know we've hashed this out to no end on this forum, but no fear up here of slight warming doing anything to snowfall.  If anything I would fully expect snowfall to increase in the northern mountains with a warming climate....we've got a long way to go to hit that threshold where 1C rise would cause a sharp drop in snowfall.  I agree with you that band seems to be down in the mid-Atlantic area where some warming might see them really decrease in snowfall.

However down there, if they continue to see a decent frequency of large storms, all it takes is one 12-24" coastal storm and they're good for the season.

All time largest snowfalls are remarkably similar for the I-95 corridor from DCA to HUL - all in the 27-32" range.  Drop to #10 and big differences arise.  Move down to RIC and their biggest is 21.6" and the only one hitting 20".

Archived