SnowHabit
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, MetHerb said:

I thought you had a garage?

I agree with the NWS tweet...the weather lately just has not felt like July.  Sure we've had a few warm days/nights but it just seems like it is later in the year than it is rather than peak climo.  I think the smaller leaves or the spare bare tree from the gypsies has helped with that look but I think it's been the cloudy/cool days too.  You could easily think it's a September day on several of this month's days.

Looks like I barely hit 70 today but even that will be another record low max for me.  Today is my maximum climo day and it starts the slow ticking down from here!

No room for the truck in there--it's full of Lesco.

7 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Went to an outdoor wedding up in Northfield this afternoon right on the Ct River.   Beautiful summer day, perfect temps for wedding attire.

nfw.thumb.JPG.f7487d938b5cb63957a41af31f8f7ec5.JPG

Nice shot.

53 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Torch!! Coming this week. Taking many by wtf type surprise 

Is this going to last the remaining 30 days of summer like you've been calling for the past 60 days?

48° for me this morning.  That's #16 this summer for lows in the 40s.  July is now #8 on my "coolest" July's after a #7 "coolest" June.

Heh ... obviously so (the idea of persistence).

We've hammered that concept repeatedly over the last month.   I was really ribbing Keven because as usual ... his aplomb for posting sentiments that appear opposite what actually should be interpreted shined with his usual panache this morning...

This is turning into the Great Ghost WAR summer in the models.   If this very recent, overnight collapse of the immediate, previous last four days worth of "hints" if not outright depictions of finally filling the SE Canadian trough .. proves the correct path of believability (which we have to say, fairly, we don't know yet btw -), all that will have become of that 4-days worth of modelling is that it just happened to be a red-herring ghost lasting a bit longer than the usual lies have proven in the runs.

And if August merely goes down like the rest ... there are will/have been plenty of arguments out there for why it should.  For one, Scott and I were musing just yesterday that this summer (so far) has really been like a "La Nina hung-over".  The Pacific circulation medium (and subsequently how that all relay(ed)(s) downstream over N/A) is of the La Nina 'measured' circumstance - not argument; calculated.   Though the wave lengths shorten(ed) seasonally ... and that more than less does skew the dial a bit on total R-wave numbers and placements (and teleconnections there in...) still, the preponderant western N/A ridge at least excuse re-emerging every three to five days, and the subsequent downstream trough and/or weakness extending south out of Canada et al ... it may as well be January in a raging La Nina hard-on.

Here's a quick and dirty internet search for La Nina pattern:

boned_summer.jpg.7a859259b4372a2609e54a85c7596441.jpg

Any questions?

As a related note to the ENSO consideration ...

The following excerpt is from NOAA'S URL source:

"... Ocean temperatures at the surface of the tropical Pacific are warm enough to meet the ocean threshold for El Niño, but the atmosphere still hasn't reacted. According to the latest forecast, ENSO-neutral remains the most likely (50 to ~55% chance) outcome through Northern Hemisphere fall 2017. ..."

This won't likely happen, and usurp the 'La Nina hang-over' until the Hemisphere begins its annual seasonal migration toward colder climate.  The gradients will steepen everywhere, that's the trigger... Press the flow, and the heat source and sinks "fight back" and that's the reaction they refer to.  That is A...

B... I'm curious about the first part of this paragraph above though (or have been a for a number of years..).  It seems that the +climate-flux as the oceans are involved ... means that resting state of Pacific is always in a modest warm anomaly - it seems logically that should not mean that it is always meeting and 'Nino thresholds; taken further (or perhaps 'deeper'), perhaps warm and cold ENSO's should not be just based upon the SST scalar values, but on the actual oceanic-atmospheric coupled state/total observation.  

We have a Super Nino just two years back and really world over the consequences were not hugely impacting.  But the SN status was defined by the immensity of the SST pooling, only. 

Just a thought -

Archived