• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

I'm going with a blend of the CMC/GEFS/EPS along and off the Middle Atlantic with this area of baroclinic disturbance.   I suspect there is a development there but a flatter more progressive vibe looks more plausible to me.  I'll let the chips fall where they may ...stranger things have happened.  I could certainly be wrong about that.  

In addition to the operational Euro showing some continuity issues the 00z went a more Meteorologically agreeable direction... now, this 12z goes right back to what looks like too much surface depth with any resulting closed isobaric features. 

One subtlety, the 24-hour trend in the mid-levels did fill 500 mb some 3 to 5 dm over all compared to yesterday's 12z run, as well as eroded some of the "sharpness" panache to the total evolution. 

Sensibly I'm not sure that will mean a lot of difference ...?  This assessment could reign true and still rain .. in which case we'd be talking differences in amount of rain and how much of it is moving side-ways. heh.  But, I also suspect with the trough tending to pancake like 10 minutes after reaching it's greatest depth near DCA, the mechanics et al will have things suppressed(ing) enough not to bring the lashing of the previous model sell -  

Not a summer regime though ...jesus.  where's summer - wow.    

EDIT: never mind the 12z part about the Euro - I'm an idiot ...the other reasoning is clad though

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Lots of rain for Mid Atlantic folks for sure.

Im wondering what economic impact, if any, this summer's crappy weather has had on the tourism economy in New England

We have been busy, 3 Ms Museums Movies Malls during bad weather, weekends have been packed at the beaches though as they for the most part have been good like this past Sunday. Yesterday was full too

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Im wondering what economic impact, if any, this summer's crappy weather has had on the tourism economy in New England

Can't speak for specific locations, but the Kennebunk toll plaza had more traffic on the holidays than last year (which was very good for Maine summertime tourism.)  Shedders were late, so visitors looking for less expensive lobster had to pony up or go without.

4 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I think the weather is much less of a factor than it is in the winter for tourism.  I know up here the ski resort is on pace with previous summers and August is historically the busiest month of the year for the Town of Stowe.  August has the highest percentage of occupancy on the whole for the town (bodies on beds) compared with any other month of the year...so it still remains to be seen how good or bad this summer is relative to normal. 

While we have had a few all-day chilly rain days this summer, it doesn't have as much effect as it does in the winter with tourism, at least up here.  Below normal temperatures don't really change anyone's approach to vacation up here...I mean, if the high is 75F instead of 84F, does it really change your plans in the mountains?  Also, although its rained like 66% of the days this summer, its often very short lived passing showers or t-storms.  There's been like 3 all-day rain events despite a high percentage of days with some water falling from the sky.  People don't seem to alter their plans for an hour of rain during the day. 

Now, on the beach it would be interesting to hear about any tourism issues with this summer's weather.  Cape Cod is probably more susceptible than the mountains because swimming and beach days are different than mountain recreation which isn't as tied to temperatures as swimming is.

Archived