SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That solution looks overly amplified.  Not sure where it gets the mechanics to deepen that trough at 48 hours when it goes from innocuous obscurity over southern Canada, to that look it drills through the Lakes.   Plus, it's only one isotach (geopotential line) worth of trough depth and it uses that for rapid deepening rates with almost no baroclinic gradients.  

Not sure how/or why it's doing that but it looks odd - 

3 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

That solution looks overly amplified.  Not sure where it gets the mechanics to deepen that trough at 48 hours when it goes from innocuous obscurity over southern Canada, to that look it drills through the Lakes.   Plus, it's only one isotach (geopotential line) worth of trough depth and it uses that for rapid deepening rates with almost no baroclinic gradients.  

Not sure how/or why it's doing that but it looks odd - 

all models show a good gradient with winds gusting to gales near shore with 20s to 30s inland, if the rain shield makes it inland is up in the air but all most certainly show a consolidating area of low pressure. 

Oh I'm sure there's going to be a system passing through there; as I said, I was less confident about the Euro's 12z amplitude. 

I think this 18z GFS is actually a better fit for a positively sloped trough but even it seems like it arrives at a 500 mb solution that is too deep compared to Meteorology. 

Anyway, the 12z Euro run I saw dipped the surface low down to 994 mb which appears a bit excessive - also the mid level support overdone as it arrived in the mid Atlantic.

Another scorcher of a late July day with the valleys struggling to 80F, while the hills hold low to mid 70s.  

After the past few summers when it seemed the torch spots hit 90F five days a week, this is a nice change of pace.  I could do without the number of days with highs near 60F though.  

Archived