• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

well in any case... i was just sitting here checking email at work and sensed the room get lighter all the sudden. 

could it be? 

i stepped out for a peek sky-wards and the heavier, dark billows just passed off to my south ... leaving a 80/20 cloud to blue blip patchwork.  The sun is really trying ... but, we may also have to contend with immediate pancaking - so we'll see.   i'm in n-central mass along rt poop

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3 double digit negative departures this month so far...impressive to do in July when the standard deviation of departures is much lower than it is in say January.

July 13... 62/54 -10

July 14... 61/55 -10

July 24... 61/53 -11

Today will be a good negative but not double digits.

Crazy that so far there have been 3 days of highs at 62F or lower during the warmest month of the season.

Might as well just attach the months data... 84F is the warmest temperature of the month so far up here.

Untitled.jpg.f0d2adedf96b027111fef67432f5466c.jpg

17 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

well in any case... i was just sitting here checking email at work and sensed the room get lighter all the sudden. 

could it be? 

i stepped out for a peek sky-wards and the heavier, dark billows just passed off to my south ... leaving a 80/20 cloud to blue blip patchwork.  The sun is really trying ... but, we may also have to contend with immediate pancaking - so we'll see.   i'm in n-central mass along rt poop

we had some clearing yesterday evening down here along the shoreline...it provided me some hope that we'd be able to escape from the doom & gloom today...so much for that thought

9 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

Since moving up here to New England from Delaware, it feels like this has been the case in this region. The Mid Atlantic bakes, while we sit in this cool pool of air, no matter what season it is. Maybe this is just a short term 5-10 year pattern or maybe there is something more significant going on. My partially scientific thought would be with the melting arctic ice and a pooling of really deep, cold water in the Northern Atlantic, maybe there is something to the shifting north pole. Funny thing would be watching a batch of ice start to develop up there and become a permanent fixture. Are we witnessing the infancy of the North Atlantic ice shelf? Shifting of the axis a bit? Assuming the accelerated warming of the planet is due to an outside force (humans) we are seeing the planet going through a quick reboot in an attempt to fix things before having to do a full reprogramming? I guess time will tell, but one would assume the planet will attempt to fix the problem and not just give up.... Just a thought on this damp, dreary day.

It's complex ...  there's a few reasons why this sort of dank scenario is favored to set up here in New England, some of which takes a somewhat advanced understanding of atmospheric mechanics.  

Before getting to that ... Having the Labrador current kissing our shores certainly isn't helping.  However, there are conditional circumstances for when the ocean is and isn't more successful at modulating air masses.  Obviously, one in the temperature of the SSTs where that is quasi-thermodynamically coupled with the lower atmosphere.  For air masses that blow out of eastern Canada and turn immediately back SW as they rotate around anticyclones (high pressure cells..), that air mass really is only slightly modulated by the ocean because it has been out there long enough to mix with the cooling(heating) effects of the ocean.  That is why is some weird circumstances, we get cold air coming in that is colder than the ocean in autumn early winter...  Contrasting, sometimes in the summer when we have synoptic scaled NE flow, we can still manage to put up a reasonably mild afternoon (low 70s or so..) despite the wind coming in... It's because in those circumstances, the antecedent air mass was only over water for a little while (< a couple days say -).   

Sometimes in the winter we can even get a high pressure N of the region and a coastal storm churns N up underneath along the eastern seaboard, and just upon a look that's a dandy snow storm set up.  but ...the polar air mass has lost it's "polarness"  because it my be old and modified, and polluted by the thermal effects of mixing with oceanic air.  Heh, the only truly ocean cold air mass is that behind a seabreeze interface.  That air is the actual ocean air and is the same temperature as the water. 

Otherwise, we "tuck" here.   You should have seen the North American temperatures yesterday... it was in the 90s just southwest of James Bay up in Canada, while it was in the 50s here.  That seems like an injustice.  What's actually happening is that the larger scaled hemispheric circulation structure is favoring a ridge over the Rockies... when that happens, the flow down stream "wants to" (for simplicity sake) become a trough.  That is by pure mathematical forcing of wave length constraints.  Even in the absence of a trough embedded in the flow, the air motion is going to try and curve around the complete wave form down stream of that ridge in the west.  

But this happens at all scales...  This summer's pattern is doing it at the largest scale... but, that is thus favoring the advent of multiple reasons to jam cold back SW near our latitude and longitude.  This sort of "counter-current" tendency to 'curl' the air masses back SW is an ...almost "implied" force more than a measurable one.. but what that means is that given any excuse and the heights want to fall near PA...which causes NW flow aloft, which is often confluent over Ontario ...which leads to BDs if not multiple frontal assaults.  Yet in the winter times... we cold weather event enthusiasts rejoice when warm sectors slam to a halt over NYC and we lock in icing.   

47 minutes ago, Mr. Windcredible! said:

we had some clearing yesterday evening down here along the shoreline...it provided me some hope that we'd be able to escape from the doom & gloom today...so much for that thought

it may yet get there ...somewhat. 

it's beating me out for my earlier assessment on timing things by a several hours and my skies here along Rt 2 are brightened with even splashing sun now. It's just 2pm so it may yet get some some semblance of civility down your way in a couple hours...  don't shoot me -

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

3 double digit negative departures this month so far...impressive to do in July when the standard deviation of departures is much lower than it is in say January.

July 13... 62/54 -10

July 14... 61/55 -10

July 24... 61/53 -11

Today will be a good negative but not double digits.

Crazy that so far there have been 3 days of highs at 62F or lower during the warmest month of the season.

Might as well just attach the months data... 84F is the warmest temperature of the month so far up here.

Untitled.jpg.f0d2adedf96b027111fef67432f5466c.jpg

One night above 60, yikes,cant imagine people with pools are happy. Mine dropped from 84 on Saturday to 70 with the rain and cold.

4 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

As you can see in this thread.. those sickos are out there

Maybe, but it's probably more like - if it's awful, let's set some records while we're in the muck.  If an afternoon is in the rare-for-July 50s, why spoil it with a cheap 62 at 12:01 AM?  I personally don't like big heat, especially HHH, but if it's coming, let it be extreme - 100 doesn't feel noticeably hotter than 99, but it's better to brag on.  And in this spring-summer of meh (largest daily departure in the past 5 weeks is 8F), some extremes would at least be interesting.

Man the 12z GFS really slowed down and pushed the Friday crap south. Sign me up. 

Less than 1/4" thru day 10.  The 1.1" on July 1 is our only decent rain event since late May.  After a streak of avg/AN months, this is beginning to look like last summer.  The only difference is that we're looking for rain while folks not far away are awash in it.

It's been partly cloudy here since late morning, allowing our tenth-inch deluge to run off without major flooding.

24 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Suns out in the valley here in Farmington. 68 feels like 78. Lets get BDL up so there's no record min

don't get me wrong...this is miserable summer weather in my book...but I've always felt that if we're gong to be subjected to this dank misery...we might as well set a record and have something to show for it. I mean what's the point of an hour or two of sun and a few extra degrees at this point?

7 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Is anyone who is growing tomatoes noticing a delay in fruit being produced (or flowers for that matter)?

We usually are loaded up with green ones by now and start picking red by August 10 or so.

Very few so far this year.

Speaking only for W. MA Tomatoes, peppers, melons, cukes are all a little behind for many folks, me included.   I think that people who started early and in green houses are doing much better. Too many clouds in June. 

37 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Is anyone who is growing tomatoes noticing a delay in fruit being produced (or flowers for that matter)?

We usually are loaded up with green ones by now and start picking red by August 10 or so.

Yes.  On the other hand, the basil is doing very well.  

The buffalo got away so I'm going to have to buy mozz. 

3 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Noticed the corn fields were short today, they love high heat dews and sun. Same with toms 

11 hours ago, dendrite said:

I've noticed GOES-16 vis on COD often looking more optimistic than reality.

They might still be toying with color curves. I know we were getting data dropouts when clouds got really bright on the visible imagery. The same might be going on near the clear/cloudy interface.

3 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

Driving to work and my car was reading 51 beautiful degrees..... Can we just fast forward to fall!! :)

49° here.  With the fog in the valley's and clear skies it almost does feel like fall.  Hard to believe we are at peak climo.

For all the talk of cool this month, I'm still not ranking in my top 10 coolest July's.  Maybe that will happen over the next several days....

Archived