Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Lots of places appear like their afternoon temps are lower than the normal mins this time of year.

For example holding at 61F at BDL when the average low temp is 64F today.  

Shame about those midnight highs. Lots of places held around 60 +/- during the daylight hours from the coast to inland at the climatological peak of the year. This is like getting a day with highs in the single digits in the winter.

35.4F on the rockpile right now with moderate rain.  Got down to 34.7F a little while ago.  Don't know how cold the air is just above them but it would have been a very big deal to get a few inches of paste.  Never has happened at climatologically the peak of summer temps.  Wish they could even score a trace of frozen  today.  

36 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Not sure how to handle the whopping 0.17" we got

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Radar looked much better for your area than the totals show...couldn't have been dry air at the SFC or something?  That was a good slug of radar echoes across all of NE.  Interesting.

0.87" here with scattered showers and misery mist but probably won't add much to this total.

1 hour ago, snowman21 said:

Shame about those midnight highs. Lots of places held around 60 +/- during the daylight hours from the coast to inland at the climatological peak of the year. This is like getting a day with highs in the single digits in the winter.

It's like the July version of that below 0F snow event some of us had a few years ago.

I'm pissed.  I just saw that MVL touched 60F at like 8am and that'll be the High for the day despite 99% of it spent at 59F or lower.  

Tough luck.  No high in the 50s this July. We even avoided the midnight high with 59F at 12am that dropped to 56F at daybreak.

8am just before the rain started it came in at 60/49 and then dropped to 55/53 at the next observation with rain.

12 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I'm pissed.  I just saw that MVL touched 60F at like 8am and that'll be the High for the day despite 99% of it spent at 59F or lower.  

Tough luck.  No high in the 50s this July. We even avoided the midnight high with 59F at 12am that dropped to 56F at daybreak.

8am just before the rain started it came in at 60/49 and then dropped to 55/53 at the next observation with rain.

Boned left and right here.

071317meteogram.png

071417meteogram.png

072417meteogram.png

19 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ave temp record for the day tied at ORH. Cold day

7 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yeah that's where I've erred . I always think the warm SST's will offset the dry feed from the NE..Typically this late in the season when you flip winds E or ESE.. you just get cooler but muggy. Instead this year we cold and nasty. Thankfully this seems like the last one of these 

At least you can admit it. And that's a fair assumption to make when you have deep ESE flow, like if we had the trof axis farther west. You can draw on dews from Bermuda or something. But given that we've been the epicenter of the trof, most moist air masses have been pretty shallow (dews BDL 70s ORH 59).

3 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Not sure how to handle the whopping 0.17" we got

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Is that really so far from what was forecast? I posted our storm total QPF map to the EMs like 24 hours ago and it only had 0.29" at PWM and 0.17" at LEW, so you would've probably been somewhere in between that.

We had worse busts.

17 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

52/52 with -RN at Montpelier now... I don't know why I find this so fascinating.  Its just temp obs, but it is pretty nuts for late July.  Like widespread 95-100F...to have this weather in summer climo max is pretty interesting.

They cancelled our golf league tonight because of the rain, but we showed up anyway to play. We had the course to ourselves, and it only rained for the first 4-5 holes. Felt very November.

Archived