Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Meh...  not speaking for N. NE in a SNE forum but, we just had four days of positive departures and relative torridity to taste - a couple of rainy days and cool weather is probably not that unusual. 

It's an all New England forum John.

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Meh...  not speaking for N. NE in a SNE forum but, we just had four days of positive departures and relative torridity to taste - a couple of rainy days and cool weather is probably not that unusual. 

I thought it was a NNE forum that also discusses SNE sometimes?

It still should be pretty cool for max climo time of year in SNE.

1 minute ago, ineedsnow said:

18z looked really wet... I bet they change that if 0z stays the same

Yeah 18z was drier up here as a whole blending everything together.  

I feel like summer precip is always a crapshoot to some degree with convective influences and the models flip flop like crazy.  

I think everyone has a shot at a good drink...though looks like further west will have better instability out in NY State.  

3 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

a couple of rainy days and cool weather is probably not that unusual. 

I wonder how often late July at 18z during max heating sees the majority of New England in the 50s, with the exception of the CT River Valley and CT.  The 5 other New England states are solidly 50s at 2pm tomorrow on the GFS.

GFS.jpg.fbb6eada4cc5066a50f038ebc0756885.jpg

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

I wonder how often late July at 18z during max heating sees the majority of New England in the 50s, with the exception of the CT River Valley and CT.  The 5 other New England states are solidly 50s at 2pm tomorrow on the GFS.

GFS.jpg.fbb6eada4cc5066a50f038ebc0756885.jpg

I've seen this in summer living along the ~ 40th parallel a few times. .. Great Lakes or New England. It's anecdotal but I imagine it's on par with an 18" grade snow scenario. In fact one of our best FAST case examples for coastal cyclogenesus was a July case fwiw. 

I wont argue it's unusualness. 

Just at a glance it appears that drier air amid the front side of this event, in the lower aspects of the sounding has sort of stolen (so far) thru evaporation.   

However, this has a ways to go.  We could easily see this over-produce in the last 6 to 9 hours (ending ~ sundown from west (earlier) to east across the area), and make up some part or all that difference.  

Rad currently shows a faux ending over CT as bigger raindrops abate to mist ..possibly even an ambiance of brightening to the skies .. But, there's a significant lobe of moderate rain subtending eastern NY to NE PA and that's destined to move thru over the course of the afternoon.  

On 7/22/2017 at 8:49 AM, Damage In Tolland said:

WAufX9K.jpgyDthm4n.jpgGypsies gonna be back in droves next spring. Despite the massive kill off, many survived . Moths laying eggs all over everything FTW .

Same thing for us.  All over trees, house, lawn furniture, etc., and that's just the low hanging fruit.  Not looking forward to next year.

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

They've just evolved . The fungus killed many, but it's amazing how many survived. I forget are you in SE Mass or RI?

Just south of Boston near the Blue Hills.  Damage wasn't too bad this year, but we didn't see anything like this moth and egg infestation last year.  Does not bode well for next year in these parts.  Fortunately we have lots of sassafras trees in addition to the oaks, and they don't seem to go after them at all.

Archived