Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

28 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Some know some don't. With maturity comes finer things in life. Old frat boys standing in line for beer to compete with friends to brag about the latest microbrew is the new fad. More power to them but with all the choices in my packy it's not worth the effort and money. 

You ever tried Auchentoshan? It's what they call a "breakfast whisky" in Glasgow, very smooth and light. And at around $50 it doesn't break the bank.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Hoth said:

There are also some pretty compelling arguments out there that eating excessive sugar is just as damaging as alcohol. Slugging a sleeve of Oreos or a Coke could be as bad or worse than a dram of scotch.

Lol. That's great. Slugging a sleeve of Oreos. I bet there's a few here that slug back a few sleeves per day

I agree with scotch and bourbon is pretty nice too.  But over the decades I've developed an appreciation for fine wine.  That said, I typically go weeks without touching alcohol and then maybe 1-2 glasses or whatever for 3-5 days then go weeks without.   I find it's easier on my body to have long periods of abstinence.

38 minutes ago, Hoth said:

There are also some pretty compelling arguments out there that eating excessive sugar is just as damaging as alcohol. Slugging a sleeve of Oreos or a Coke could be as bad or worse than a dram of scotch.

Mixing a pure vodka with lots of sugary juice or soda basically offsets the advantage of purity in the first place...that's one reason I like scotch, because you can drink it without mixing. I don't like vodka by itself so there is no point in drinking it just because it's the purest liquor out there...because I'd have to mix it anyway and that negates the purpose. So you might as well eat a sleeve of oreos instead.

Beer is filled with impurities and toxins...it's the sacrifice we make for the distinctive tastes of different beers...wine is in the middle, champagne even a little less, and liquor the least (with the clear liquors being the purest). Quality of course matters too...a plastic bottle of Fleischmann's vodka is gonna be a lot less pure than a bottle of ketel one.

7 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Locally Stroudwater Distillery has a gin/bourbon cocktail with lemon juice in it (maybe a splash of soda?) that is pretty awesome. Slowly dipping my toe in the brown liquor water.

Lemon juice is a good pure flavor additive to a drink. Lemon or lime with soda water is a solid mixer than can keep you feeling good about yourself.

I'll admit though, it's def easier to just crack open a beer in the summer than to drink liquor, but I've gotten a little more used to it the past couple of years. But I also don't drink very often anymore...definitely not like the hall of fame days of Cornell and just afterward. Darn baby/toddler.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Lemon juice is a good pure flavor additive to a drink. Lemon or lime with soda water is a solid mixer than can keep you feeling good about yourself.

I'll admit though, it's def easier to just crack open a beer in the summer than to drink liquor, but I've gotten a little more used to it the past couple of years. But I also don't drink very often anymore...definitely not like the hall of fame days of Cornell and just afterward. Darn baby/toddler.

Hard to swat a ping pong ball with a baby in your arms.

Living in Portland though, we're definitely in the middle of a booming craft beer scene. Hard to pass up the quality locally. I need to get to Ithaca to stock up on wine though.

34 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

If I didn't run, my stomach would be dusting the floor

Your liver is going to be dusting the floor along with your knees at your current pace.

I used to be a connoisseur of beer long before it became a thing but gave it up due an allergy that my wife has.  I never was was one of those drink to alter my state kind of guys and even in college would just hang out and watch everyone else's altered state along with a couple of friends of mine.  Still, I've always enjoyed a good brew, particularly "craft" beers mainly due to the complexity in making the different variants.

I never thought I would be a beer flavor person. I would just drink in social settings with a cheap option, I mean how different could a beer really be?

Then I started trying some of the different styles when I got to Portland. Quickly learned what I liked and didn't like (hard pass one strong wheat flavored beers). Now I'm to the point that I pretty much know the kind of hops I'm going to enjoy (big citra fan). 

Just now, OceanStWx said:

Hard to swat a ping pong ball with a baby in your arms.

Living in Portland though, we're definitely in the middle of a booming craft beer scene. Hard to pass up the quality locally. I need to get to Ithaca to stock up on wine though.

The PWM to BTV swath (and just south) is definitely the craft beer corridor...I actually remembering getting a free bottle of smuttynose (I think they are PSM or SE NH?) back in 2006 when they were first trying to market their product to a wider audience down in MA. They had a rep in the package store near me one night...I really liked it too. I prob would have bought a case except back then I was broke so I was still buying racks of (insert whatever cheap beer was on sale that week).

I prob would have gotten more into the craft beer scene if the explosion happened about 3-4 years earlier than it did....I still might, maybe once the kid(s) is older and have a little more free time. But I gotta get my golf game back on track before that happens...priorities. I'm supposed to play 18 next week and haven't picked up a club yet all year. I did shoot 81-83 in two rounds last year with little practice, but I'm skeptical of a repeat without a few range sessions.

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The PWM to BTV swath (and just south) is definitely the craft beer corridor...I actually remembering getting a free bottle of smuttynose (I think they are PSM or SE NH?) back in 2006 when they were first trying to market their product to a wider audience down in MA. They had a rep in the package store near me one night...I really liked it too. I prob would have bought a case except back then I was broke so I was still buying racks of (insert whatever cheap beer was on sale that week).

I prob would have gotten more into the craft beer scene if the explosion happened about 3-4 years earlier than it did....I still might, maybe once the kid(s) is older and have a little more free time. But I gotta get my golf game back on track before that happens...priorities. I'm supposed to play 18 next week and haven't picked up a club yet all year. I did shoot 81-83 in two rounds last year with little practice, but I'm skeptical of a repeat without a few range sessions.

You're always welcome to join the GYX golf team for a tourney. In fact we may have an opening in September for a craft brewery scramble if you can sneak away...

8 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Checked GYX radar a few minutes ago and saw nothing interesting.  Now it's pouring here in Augusta.  Maybe I should have looked more carefully.

Edit:  Yup - one eentsy shower was bearing down on our workplace from the wesy.

So small that our radar didn't have enough areal coverage of echoes to trip over into precip mode.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

If I didn't run, my stomach would be dusting the floor

Eating and drinking with abandon offset by running is what many of us did.  Hard to dial down the consumption when running is no longer possible as tends to occur with most of us.

I'd be careful, Kevin - you are playing with fire with that life style... Now you're undoubtedly going to come back with, "I've been doin' it for years," or something to that effect.  But that really doesn't matter.

Really, quite seriously, anything more than a drink a day, and that slope toward an unhealthy state is far steeper than people are aware. There are a lot of faux memes zipping around social media and regular media, and/or fake health sciences currently popularize(ing).  So you should research what I am telling you, if you care to bear the truth ( ;) )

Just because one can ran multiple miles doesn't make them "clean" after drinking every night? And by 'drinking,' we mean more than one.  It certainly helps recovery some ...but you're still doing damage.  If perhaps just at a slower rate of decay.  I happen to know first hand.  Ironically, being an endurance athlete got me into trouble. 

I used to run 5.5 miles, five times per week.  I did so for two years, no exceptions, no missed... Head colds?  Tough turds! get ur ass out there mentality. Before that two years, I was cycling about 45 miles per week... but the season's changed that faithful autumn and I turned to running treadmill at the local gym.  3 miles three times a week blossomed into running around 27 total miles per week as said.  Running made me want to eat less? It's kind of counter-intuitive, but the high you get (natural) from running suppresses the appetite a bit.  Then, not eating sh!t when I did eat...  after a 18 months I had dropped 65 pounds!  240 to 175 ...an ending weight (this was back circa 2008) that become gaunt and over-doing-it looking.. People were telling me to ease off the throttle.  

A most curious thing happened around that time, though.  Friday nights, I got into the habit of hanging out on a deck over looking a lake with my bro-in-law, suckin' back gin and tonics. Sometimes we'd spark off a burner (cigar) and it was ...quite honestly, beyond the dreams of soothing.  But here's the thing.. I didn't wake up with hang-overs? He would, and tell me about how horrible he felt the next day after we partied. But for some reason,  I was never worse for the wear.  Oh I had some discomforts, but, ...my body sort of acclimated to the point where I didn't feel any discomfort at all.  I figured I was in such good shape that I could do what ever I wanted...

Wrong.  ... I started doing that sort of thing on Tuesday ... Thursdays...  Monday's ...   So long as I was running, I figured it was okay.  It's just that you saying what you did above, ...oh man!  that took me right back there in my memory dude.  Almost like an arrogance (for lack of better word only) that it didn't matter so much for me because of my total package of behaviors.  However, after several years went by, the frequency of runs slowly declined, and the other lifestyle replaced. My weight crept back to 225 and I was lucky if I ran or rode bike once a week.  That's about the time I decided enough was enough...  Like I said, it's been two years since I decided to just walk away from it period.  Not suggesting anyone do anything that drastic. That's just my choice.  Maybe you won't replace one life-style with the other, like I slowly did, but ... But, that doesn't matter.  You can't hide behind how good a long run makes you feel.  Damage is happening. 

At the end of the day ... like Steve was just saying, a glass of red wine is about it.  The ethanol in that much consumption stimulates the liver's triggers for manufacturing "good cholesterol."   Anything beyond that causes hypertension - however transient the condition, spending much time in that state leads to all sorts of subsequent secondary ...tertiary problems. Aside, more than one shot, or one glass of wine (or equiv.) and your liver has to break down the alcohol in stages.  The first stage is a secondary derivative of ethanol called acetaldehyde ... acetaldehyde is then converted acetic acid radicals - also known as acetyl radicals.  If you know anything about base-line health, anytime you hear or read the term "radicals,"  a red flag should go up.  And you'd be right here ... these are considered carcinogen to medical science.  This is how I understand the literature; I would suggest you/people should go out and research yourself if you like.  Alcohol consumption is statistically correlated to cancers for a reason. 

Obviously, we are human, and we push things though.  Ethanol gives a pleasant sort of soothing high (duh). However, fact of the matter is, if you can "feel" it, you are damaging your system, because you are sending your liver through that processing, which subsequently exposes one's body to risk.

But, like everything in these lives, we operate based upon what we personally consider to be our own "calculated risks" - ..unfortunately, that calculation is usually more like rationalization.  Bargaining and talking ourselves into believing this or that is okay.   I just would be careful... whether you can run 4 to 20 miles a day, more than a glass of anything that is libation is still intrinsically unhealthy. 

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

I have the same thoughts.  Only have a drink or 2 or not at all. Dont like wine but the benefits from a glass a day have been proven over and over.

The recommendations seem to move around nearly as much as those for coffee, and that latter is now on the antioxidant good guy list.   Since my last taste of recreational alcohol was not quite 30 years ago, a champagne toast for a good friend who had just landed a much-wanted job, I take comfort in reading that unfermented fruit of the vine offers much the same benefits.  (My mom used to buy a case of Rose - don't know how to add the accent mark - once a year from Gross Winery in central Jersey.  Looked kind of bad with dad lugging out the 6 one-gallon bottles, but those 768 ounces were consumed during 250-300 separate dinners.)

Archived