SnowHabit
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

These guys that drink Bud Light and Genny Cream just don't get it 

You know exactly what I'm drinking and it ain't those.  Here in E MA we have a plethora of top-notch beers that I can get that stand up to Treehouse.  I'm not going to drive 90 min to have to wait another 2-3hr just to grab a case of beer.  Now if I was going to spending some vacation time in the area I may stop on over.  I got too much **** to do to make a day of it just to grab beer.

8 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

You know exactly what I'm drinking and it ain't those.  Here in E MA we have a plethora of top-notch beers that I can get that stand up to Treehouse.  I'm not going to drive 90 min to have to wait another 2-3hr just to grab a case of beer.  Now if I was going to spending some vacation time in the area I may stop on over.  I got too much **** to do to make a day of it just to grab beer.

I've never had to wait in line for my 30 pack of Mich Ultra

32 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Lol I know from Untappd you are drinking multiple good Double IPA's daily. I was referring to some of the other folks here still drinking college beers in middle and latter life 

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Lol I know from Untappd you are drinking multiple good Double IPA's daily. I was referring to some of the other folks here still drinking college beers in middle and latter life 

I've moved onto scotch....way better than beer.

looks like we're averaging 2 to 3 F ahead of yesterday 'round deez pahts - 

Lower DPs to start out may be helping that, with our super charged incredible powerful sun at this latitude (not...).  

(I've often wondered what would happen if the power of two suns shown over our local oceans for a day ...how would the SST's respond; would it be linear...so not much difference?  would it take 10,000 suns to raise the ocean to boiling...) 

anyway, T1 in the FRH grid ...I typically add 5 C to that temperature to come up with a rough idea of the 2-meter temperature ..but only on sunny-ish days, and only between late-ish spring and early-ish autumns.  If there are clouds or it is winter, forget it.   A day like today ?    29C + 5C = 34 C

--> 68 - 6.8 + 32 = 93.2 and I go look at MOS and that number is between the GFS and NAM MOS' for places like FIT and BED ..  It's probably about what the highs will be barring an errant and deliberately timed TCU and nickle blat shower at each precise thermometer housing solely for the purpose of failing this technique - 

2 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

i'll likely just wait till the pick up a distributor and start selling it further east at local shops.  I agree that there are far too many good brews to justify waiting hrs for a cold brew.

The other issue is that as delicious as the "New England" style IPA can be, when properly executed, it is creating a culture of mono-palate fan boys that exhibit unjustified opinions of other styles of beer. 

About two years ago I gave up all alcohol entirely ..  

It's a bit of a drag because my various spheres of friendships still want to engage in the life ...more or less.  Me?  I'd have to be fine hangin' out palming a cranberry and ginger, while the rest of the social setting slowly transitions into one where I'm observing their altered perceptions and behavioral changes. Meanwhile,  I'm still in my world. 

It's okay though - other than that... I don't really miss it.  Certainly not physically... I was doing too much of that crap.  I was even hauling off cigars, and in fact, it was the combination of the two that was really my bag.  And, doing both almost every night at the point I had a kind of self-awareness epiphany and thought, '...wtf am I doing.'     

Heh. anyway... to each his/her own.  I'm not one of the insufferable self-righteous types about it. It's just that for me, I don't need it to have a good time.  

Besides, the most (very most) recent scientific studies really strongly suggests that ANY alcohol consumption at all isn't really required for better living.  Yes, you can get some (perhaps) positive returns from doing so inside of a very narrow band-width of total consumption, but... the other things you can do to improve your life-style is far better than any gains you get back from consuming a glass of wine a night.  If one eats right, works out relative to bio-mechanical tolerances, sleeps enough, and drinks plenty of water ... that's all better than anything they get back from a glass of wine a night.   

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

I've moved onto scotch....way better than beer.

Some know some don't. With maturity comes finer things in life. Old frat boys standing in line for beer to compete with friends to brag about the latest microbrew is the new fad. More power to them but with all the choices in my packy it's not worth the effort and money. 

44 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

About two years ago I gave up all alcohol entirely ..  

It's a bit of a drag because my various spheres of friendships still want to engage in the life ...more or less.  Me?  I'd have to be fine hangin' out palming a cranberry and ginger, while the rest of the social setting slowly transitions into one where I'm observing their altered perceptions and behavioral changes. Meanwhile,  I'm still in my world. 

It's okay though - other than that... I don't really miss it.  Certainly not physically... I was doing too much of that crap.  I was even hauling off cigars, and in fact, it was the combination of the two that was really my bag.  And, doing both almost every night at the point I had a kind of self-awareness epiphany and thought, '...wtf am I doing.'     

Heh. anyway... to each his/her own.  I'm not one of the insufferable self-righteous types about it. It's just that for me, I don't need it to have a good time.  

Besides, the most (very most) recent scientific studies really strongly suggests that ANY alcohol consumption at all isn't really required for better living.  Yes, you can get some (perhaps) positive returns from doing so inside of a very narrow band-width of total consumption, but... the other things you can do to improve your life-style is far better than any gains you get back from consuming a glass of wine a night.  If one eats right, works out relative to bio-mechanical tolerances, sleeps enough, and drinks plenty of water ... that's all better than anything they get back from a glass of wine a night.   

I have the same thoughts.  Only have a drink or 2 or not at all. Dont like wine but the benefits from a glass a day have been proven over and over.

7 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I have the same thoughts.  Only have a drink or 2 or not at all. Dont like wine but the benefits from a glass a day have been proven over and over.

I used to hate wine, but learned to appreciate a good red. I have issues with some due to sulfates...I break out into a bright heat rash. I prefer to mostly just stay away from all of it now. Besides a little black coffee and my aforementioned kombucha, I pretty much only drink water and that's only when I'm thirsty. I don't buy into that forcing 64oz per day down your throat nonsense...just drink when you're thirsty.

11 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

You do know that as a rule one shot or drink is roughly the same as 1 beer alcohol wise?

Not only that, good quality liquor has fewer toxins in it than any other type of alcoholic drink. Vodka and gin would be the purest, but a good quality scotch is still pretty easy on the system.

6 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

You do know that as a rule one shot or drink is roughly the same as 1 beer alcohol wise?

12oz beer @ 5%, yeah... most of these high end beers are 16oz and pushing 8% though.  The wifey and I might split 1 at dinner 2 nights a week, and it's enough.  Drinking 2 to your head is reserved for the occasional campfire. 

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

(I've often wondered what would happen if the power of two suns shown over our local oceans for a day ...how would the SST's respond; would it be linear...so not much difference?  would it take 10,000 suns to raise the ocean to boiling...) 

When the sun exhausts its fuel and starts to expand in a billion years, you'll get your answer. 

6 minutes ago, radarman said:

12oz beer @ 5%, yeah... most of these high end beers are 16oz and pushing 8% though.  The wifey and I might split 1 at dinner 2 nights a week, and it's enough.  Drinking 2 to your head is reserved for the occasional campfire. 

I have 2-3 per night eeekdays and 3-5 weekends. And still get up and run at 4:30. Gotta build up the tolerance :lol:

Archived