Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oh my god ... are we kidding?    

who has seen a more locked pattern like ..ever, in history.   that maritime dent in the hemisphere is just immovable.  i've never seen a pattern so locked before in my life as an aware met - not in this business.  4 months and never ending has never happened - 

kidding of course but it certainly seems that way. 

in any case, no need to look at any guidance tool across the greater technological ambit of operational weather ..for any day beyond D4 - God will die and cease to exist before that trough goes away.  so whatever the models are indicating... they are LYing until such time as can be proven otherwise. 

35 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Dike?

If you get bored, check out the geologic history of the Ossipee mountains.  It's surprisingly fascinating:

http://www.plymouth.edu/eportfolio/view/view.php?profile=mmcgarry&page=volcanoes-in-new-hampshire

Viewed from above, the Ossipee Mountain range appears as a nearly perfect circle, with the area in the center being relatively flat. The Ossipee Mountains that are seen today are really the subsurface remains of the old magma chamber that has become exposed over the years, and the flat area in the center is the bottom of the old caldera. The diameter of the range is ten miles and the distance around the base is forty miles. The original volcano was thought to be around 10,000 feet tall, and the highest peak, Mt. Shaw, is today around 3,200 feet.

One hundred million years ago, there was a fracture in the volcano and an eruption occurred forcing molten magma to the surface. As the magma emerged, circular sections collapsed into the empty magma chamber. The molten magma cooled forming the type of igneous rock called Conway granite. This type of granite is found in New Hampshire's Carroll and Belknap counties. This granite and other volcanic rock subsided and later, deeper magma would push through earlier fractures during the second major eruption.

The second eruption took place around ten million years after the first eruption. Magma was forced up along the edges of the earlier plug, ringing the plug with more eruptions. Dikes of molten magma intruded the earlier Conway granite, and formed the ring-dike that is seen today. This ring-dike is famous with geologists world-wide due to its almost perfect completeness.

10 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Leaving Albany and now this feels like summer for sure.

Home says 82F and dews feel like 67-70F if I had to guess.  They'll make upper 80s to 90F here no problem.

Now time to get back to NVT and hopefully some slightly cooler air (82-85F vs 88-91F).

Mentioned this yesterday but I'm thinking this may be the "HI" apex of the year...  

I realize August can bring the heat goods, so we'll see.   It's just that based on seasonal trend, with that impenetrable in-alterable circumstance of NW flow through the Maritime regions (effectively protecting us from bigger continental heat (so far) unrelentingly so),  I would not be surprised if this week sort of brings about a nexus between sun's potential for heat and DP penetration to N latitudes.   Going forward, that larger scaled circulation type should see to it, a timely summer-climate decay.  I wouldn't be surprised even if we get one of those shot-across-the-bow crispy high pressures on August 20 this year but that's obviously getting way ahead... 

We'll get early frosts and frothing excitability kicked in for dreams of winter plumb ferries .... only to have the f'er completely break down and bring in the new GW -centric flow paradigm from late Oct through next April -

I'm wondering if yesterday afternoon and evening thunderstorms in the area are servicing area DPs a tad here. 

I just looked at a bunch of obs up and down the eastern seaboard and you have to get to FL to beat  out what's putting up at BED/BOS/FIT and so forth. These locales are in the low to mid 70s this hr!  

Contrasting it's only in the 67-70 range elsewhere.  Newardk NJ is almost 90 already at 68. 

Fit 84/73  

20 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I'm wondering if yesterday afternoon and evening thunderstorms in the area are servicing area DPs a tad here. 

I just looked at a bunch of obs up and down the eastern seaboard and you have to get to FL to beat  out what's putting up at BED/BOS/FIT and so forth. These locales are in the low to mid 70s this hr!  

Contrasting it's only in the 67-70 range elsewhere.  Newardk NJ is almost 90 already at 68. 

Fit 84/73  

Islip is 85/75 currently, and there was no rain here, and hasnt been for days. My Davis PWS reads 89/78, and i am about 12 miles NW of Islip

18 hours ago, powderfreak said:

After all this discussion I go to see our zone forecast for Lamoille County and see 30% chance showers Friday and 40-50% Saturday through Tuesday, lol.  

That's 5 days of partly sunny with 30-50% chance of showers.  Break out the sun/cloud/raindrop icon.

If that's from the P&C, just chuckle and move on to the AFD where something can be learned.  Lately I've seen things like "30% chance of showers 1-2 PM, then showers likely after 2" - for day 3.  Then days 4-7 have highs 78/77/78/78 and lows 59/61/60/60.  The whiplash from impossible precision to knee-jerk climo can be humorous.

2 hours ago, psv88 said:

Islip is 85/75 currently, and there was no rain here, and hasnt been for days. My Davis PWS reads 89/78, and i am about 12 miles NW of Islip

yeah, the ocean temperatures are in the low to mid 70s down there so the persistent southerly flow off the waters are probably assisting there for that separate reason -

Archived