Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, dendrite said:

MOS has 41F at HUL...maybe the cold overperforms too based on how low dews have been.

Missed by one, their low was 42.

After 12 straight days with highs in the 70s, finally broke the string yesterday, though it being July I expected to break it in the other direction.  Only a cheap 9:01 PM temp of 63 kept  high from being in the 50s.  The 0.56" brings the month to 1.88", right about on average though June's 3" deficit has not been overcome.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Wedged in good east of the crest.

hi res vis satellite loop is a trip.

you can really make out the stagnated, solid white under-casting while the synoptics rip east over top, higher in altitudes.  

it's a classic scenario of tropospheric disconnection where the bottom gets abandoned.  this happens post these murk fistings by BDs ... They stuff in cold statically stable sounding air that can't mix out...   You really need the 22 kts at the top of the BL to start the erosion to get it out of here.... Since that ain't coming from any warm sector intrusion any time soon, best is to have that diffused boundary to come through and clean house that way.   

I'm sure there are a few that buck consensus but ... otherwise 0 redeeming value to this set up when this happens.  and what really irks is that it's happening now past climo for this - this is late April incarnate.   

I've been musing to self that this is an evil summer.  we are stuck is some sort of persecution on a hemispheric scale to keep trough amplitude near by... while the thermometers say its normal.  it's like everything is lying or cheating. haha

On 7/13/2017 at 11:14 AM, dendrite said:

Took my internal hdd apart today after viewing some DIY videos online. lol

My drive was clicking so I was curious to open it and see if the read/write arm was stuck. It was pushed way up against the center of the disk so I gently move it back to the outside without making any apparent scratches to the disk. There was already a spec or two or dust on the disk immediately when I opened it so I didn't worry about the couple left o it when I closed it. My sata-usb adapter isn't reading it, but my guess is that it needs 12V to power up and I believe the cord is only getting 5V. When I put it back into my PC it at least tries and clicks when attempting to start up. I'll put it back in my comp when I get home from work. Hopefully I can get the important wx info off of there before it completely craps the bed. Maybe I can even scan an image of the drive too before officially retiring it.

It's probably some other kind of bigger issue though. We'll see. Fingers crossed.

No luck. Still clicking.

I'm wondering if I had some kind of surge go through. It's weird though. My motherboard has ruptured capacitors and failed...the new one seems to work fine. In a separate, but similar timing incident, my monitor died as well. Obviously those 2 things are on different power supplies. The PC and monitor are also plugged into separate surge protectors too. So who knows? I'm thinking of trying to swap out the PCB of the hdd with a donor. These drives are so old and of low capacity that they only run $15-20 on amazon and ebay. I'll just try to get one of the same model, manufacture date, and firmware revision. I saw some guy one youtube have success with that with an old WD hdd. I guess it's worth a shot. Not sue if I'll have to swap the ROM chips though? The guy on there had 3 separate donors...2 eliminated the clicking but didnt read. The last one worked perfectly. So if that's the problem it'll be a crapshoot either way.

15 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

Looks like my fax so far today has been 62-63°.  The coldest July max I've recorded is 7/12/1990 at 58° so it's not not the coldest.  I have 8 other days that tie or break today's temps so I just think it's part of summers in New England from time to time.

ORH actually put up a 59 on 7/8/05...one of only 4 July sub-60 maximums on record. They just hit 60F today, so they won't add to that, but if they hold at 60F, that would only be the 10th time on record back to the 1890s which would qualify as pretty impressive.

But I think it will prob end up a couple degrees warmer. It will likely break the daily record, but as you said, something like a 62F wouldn't be too earth shattering. Prob a once every 4-5 year type occurrence in the month. 62F or colder has happened 28 times in 120+ years of records.

51 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

ORH actually put up a 59 on 7/8/05...one of only 4 July sub-60 maximums on record. They just hit 60F today, so they won't add to that, but if they hold at 60F, that would only be the 10th time on record back to the 1890s which would qualify as pretty impressive.

But I think it will prob end up a couple degrees warmer. It will likely break the daily record, but as you said, something like a 62F wouldn't be too earth shattering. Prob a once every 4-5 year type occurrence in the month. 62F or colder has happened 28 times in 120+ years of records.

The notable  will be the daily average  currently 57.5

60.5  1960-07-14
2 62.0  2009-07-14
- 62.0  2004-07-14

Archived