joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish backdoors had a similar appeal during the winter months.  Say you wake up to temperatures well below zero and a biting north west wind.  Then, just as the NAM and GFS advertised, the wind flips north east and it warms up to the mid and upper 50s with fog and mist.  Making it a much more comfortable and enjoyable day.  I'd definitely detest them a lot less if that were the case.  

Took my internal hdd apart today after viewing some DIY videos online. lol

My drive was clicking so I was curious to open it and see if the read/write arm was stuck. It was pushed way up against the center of the disk so I gently move it back to the outside without making any apparent scratches to the disk. There was already a spec or two or dust on the disk immediately when I opened it so I didn't worry about the couple left o it when I closed it. My sata-usb adapter isn't reading it, but my guess is that it needs 12V to power up and I believe the cord is only getting 5V. When I put it back into my PC it at least tries and clicks when attempting to start up. I'll put it back in my comp when I get home from work. Hopefully I can get the important wx info off of there before it completely craps the bed. Maybe I can even scan an image of the drive too before officially retiring it.

It's probably some other kind of bigger issue though. We'll see. Fingers crossed.

Just now, dendrite said:

Took my internal hdd apart today after viewing some DIY videos online. lol

My drive was clicking so I was curious to open it and see if the read/write arm was stuck. It was pushed way up against the center of the disk so I gently move it back to the outside without making any apparent scratches to the disk. There was already a spec or two or dust on the disk immediately when I opened it so I didn't worry about the couple left o it when I closed it. My sata-usb adapter isn't reading it, but my guess is that it needs 12V to power up and I believe the cord is only getting 5V. When I put it back into my PC it at least tries and clicks when attempting to start up. I'll put it back in my comp when I get home from work. Hopefully I can get the important wx info off of there before it completely craps the bed. Maybe I can even scan an image of the drive too before officially retiring it.

It's probably some other kind of bigger issue though. We'll see. Fingers crossed.

Must have missed this, what brand is it?  I had an external Seagate **** the bed on me.  It needs to be sent to the Manuf to retrieve the data since it's in a format not recognized by standard means.  I even had a computer company look at it with no success.  Ballpark to retrieve the data was like $500-600.  Luckily nothing too important that it can wait.

Just now, Baroclinic Zone said:

Must have missed this, what brand is it?  I had an external Seagate **** the bed on me.  It needs to be sent to the Manuf to retrieve the data since it's in a format not recognized by standard means.  I even had a computer company look at it with no success.  Ballpark to retrieve the data was like $500-600.  Luckily nothing too important that it can wait.

It was from my old wx comp. It just randomly died on me after 12 years and I hadn't backed up the data in awhile. It's only an 80gb WD 3.5" hdd. I want my data, but I'm not willing to spend $500-$1k for some excel and wxlink files.

Is everything in physics II going to be an insane amount of work?  Do you literally have to solve and find every single variable needed to solve the formula for the variable you're asked to look for?  For example, just started the class and we're doing oscillations and one problem the main goal was to find position of the mass as a function of time and then when the mass will reach its turning point and then the acceleration.

The main equation to find the position (x) is x = Acos(wt + phase constant)...had to use an equation to find A, then an equation to find w, then an equation to find the phase constant, then solve to find t...that's insane.  How the hell do you remember how to do all that and all the steps???

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

Is everything in physics II going to be an insane amount of work?  Do you literally have to solve and find every single variable needed to solve the formula for the variable you're asked to look for?  For example, just started the class and we're doing oscillations and one problem the main goal was to find position of the mass as a function of time and then when the mass will reach its turning point and then the acceleration.

The main equation to find the position (x) is x = Acos(wt + phase constant)...had to use an equation to find A, then an equation to find w, then an equation to find the phase constant, then solve to find t...that's insane.  How the hell do you remember how to do all that and all the steps???

It's called studying and learning.

Archived