Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

20 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

I was reading the Wikipedia article on the '38 Hurricane this morning and a sentence jumped out to me: "It was only the third hurricane to strike New England since 1635."  I guess it depends on ones definition of "strike" because Wikipedia lists dozens of storms between 1635 and 1938 but I thought I would through it out to the collective minds here to validate that statement.  Were there only three land falling hurricanes between 1635 and 1938?

That does not appear to be a credible claim. Just off the top of my head alone I can think of 3 in the 1800s...1804, 1815, and 1821...I suppose the latter could be argued it was only a TS when it made landfall. But then you have some of the hurricanes in the 1890s too that I didn't even mention.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

That does not appear to be a credible claim. Just off the top of my head alone I can think of 3 in the 1800s...1804, 1815, and 1821...I suppose the latter could be argued it was only a TS when it made landfall. But then you have some of the hurricanes in the 1890s too that I didn't even mention.

I took a look at the NOAA database and I count 9 before 1938 that made landfall as a category 1 or higher storm on some portion of New England so even if you were narrowing the definition of "strike" to mean landfall, it fails on that claim.  I thought it was but wanted to check.  It seemed odd that we would have so many since then but very few before then.

2 hours ago, eekuasepinniW said:

I could actually use some rain.  Last meaningful rain was 11 days ago and the grass is browning up pretty quick now.

Had a nice 1.1" downpour on 7/1 but little since - just a sprinkle and light shower this morning.  Apart from tor-Saturday, I have to go back to May 26 to find another day with more than 0.5" rain, and the total for that stretch is running about 50% of my avg.  Having AN rain in May tempers the dryness.

This month has very steady for temps so far, with each day's high in the 70s; 7 of 10 had highs 75-77.  Seriously high dews have been limited to the first 36 hours of the month.

Can't have too much water.

You should've been in my area in 2009, when I recorded rain on 49 days during the 56 days June 9-Aug 3 with 17.5" total for that span.  Due to soaking and lack of sun, my garden's main crop tomatoes utterly failed and the normally abundant sweet 100 cherry tomatoes yielded exactly 3 ripe fruit, as disease killed all the plants bottom to top as the 'maters reached 1/4 ripe.  Good year for carrots, at least.

5 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Sometimes those old storms go down as "gales" too. 

Those hearty colonists with snow up to their knickers scoffed at those summer gales.

9 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Those hearty colonists with snow up to their knickers scoffed at those summer gales.

Yeah there were probably like half a dozen in the 1700s that were autumn "gales" but might be classified as hurricanes in the modern world. 1804 could have been classified as extratropical too...it did have 3 feet of snow on the northwest side...but then again, so did Sandy in the WV/PA mountains even while the core was still tropical just off the NJ coast...when you have a deep trough getting involved, it would be hard to differentiate what is still tropical and what is being enhanced by the upper air back in the pre-satellite era or pre-RAOB era.

7 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Lol . Will rattling off canes from the 1800's off the top of his head. Dude is sick

Already drilling Liam with the Kocin book. 

"No, no, no! March 4, 1994 was a Friday. You're better than that! Now start again, from the 1950s."

28 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I've read many of those " ..On came a most horrific gale not seen since the fortnight ..." and wondered... They were always between October and December.  

Still furthering .. .there's research into the strata at the head of Narra. Bay and other inlets of the south and east coasts of SNE that suggests there may have been tsunamis -sized storm surge events over the last 5,000 years and more... many of which exceed 1938...  How? who knows how in the f the atmosphere could pull off a bigger deal than the Long Island express...but - 

Also, there's a subduction fault down around the Caribbean archipelago.. as well as land slide events near the Canaries...so there's that too.

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah there were probably like half a dozen in the 1700s that were autumn "gales" but might be classified as hurricanes in the modern world. 1804 could have been classified as extratropical too...it did have 3 feet of snow on the northwest side...but then again, so did Sandy in the WV/PA mountains even while the core was still tropical just off the NJ coast...when you have a deep trough getting involved, it would be hard to differentiate what is still tropical and what is being enhanced by the upper air back in the pre-satellite era or pre-RAOB era.

I still think that was a bit of a political play, since WFOs had jumped the gun with non-tropical headlines prior to coordination with NHC. 

I can think of two in 1846 also that were likely hurricanes, one in October that was more Irene-ish and the other in September that while it missed New England, nearly wiped out its whole fishing fleet over the Grand Banks. 

56 minutes ago, Hoth said:

I'll bet the article meant that it was only the third major hurricane since 1635. Definitely other hurricanes have hit NE in three centuries. 

That would make a lot more sense. Major hurricanes are extremely rare at our latitude. About 1-2 per century that actually landfall sounds right.

Did anyone see that video of Nitro Circus' Travis Pastrana crushing the Mount Washington Auto Road Hillclimb race record the other day?

He did the entire Auto Road uphill in 5 minutes and 44 seconds.  An average speed of around 80mph and topping out around 120mph at times.

Think about that.  If you've ever driven the MWN Auto Road, imagine averaging 80mph from base to summit.  That's insane.  

His teammate with Subaru Rally Team USA hit a rock on the first heat, lost a wheel and flew off the side of the road about 50 feet down before coming to a stop...moments after he was clocked at 116mph by radar.

That sh*t is nuts.

39 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Did anyone see that video of Nitro Circus' Travis Pastrana crushing the Mount Washington Auto Road Hillclimb race record the other day?

He did the entire Auto Road uphill in 5 minutes and 44 seconds.  An average speed of around 80mph and topping out around 120mph at times.

Think about that.  If you've ever driven the MWN Auto Road, imagine averaging 80mph from base to summit.  That's insane.  

His teammate with Subaru Rally Team USA hit a rock on the first heat, lost a wheel and flew off the side of the road about 50 feet down before coming to a stop...moments after he was clocked at 116mph by radar.

That sh*t is nuts.

I'm pretty uncomfortable at 30 mph. 

That sh*t is nuts.

That is nuts. No guardrails doesn't help.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

That sh*t is nuts.

Just watched it - ridiculous!  I can't imagine being the passenger in that car. 

19 hours ago, powderfreak said:

That sh*t is nuts.

6 hours ago, Yukon Cornelius said:

I must've watched a different year when he had a passenger in the car with him. I believe this is this year's run:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7tXDtTn9T4

lol. I never knew there was even a record for such a thing. Sh.it is nuts.

Foolish humans will find a way to make everything into some kind of dangerous record.

I have never been up Mt. Washington, but I am assuming to pull an event off like this there has to be a crap load of preparation...mainly to make sure there is no one walking on or around the road. 

I think this ride needs to happen in winter...Up and down the mountain.

Archived