Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, OceanStWx said:

Furiously Googling images of dead gypsy moths to lower the blood pressure.

Yelling at the kids for opening their windows to let the breeze in, angers easily, pissed off the couch cushions aren't sticking to the family when they stand up, walking around the house with the AC on full blast muttering "it should be uncomfortable outside, it should be uncomfortable, it shouldn't be this pleasant."

Just now, powderfreak said:

Yelling at the kids, angers easily, pissed off the couch cushions aren't sticking to the family when they stand up, walking around the house with the AC on full blast muttering "it should be uncomfortable outside, it should be uncomfortable, it shouldn't be this pleasant."

Lolz!

9 hours ago, kdxken said:

Apparently the fella who stated all the gypsy moths had died from the fungus was mistaken. I hope his weather forecasts are not as wildly inaccurate.

gm1.jpg

I certainly would not say all, but if you spend any time looking around, you'd see a very large percentage did in some places.  I went out one week and saw thousands crawling up just about every tree species, including pines and week later nearly all of them were dead in their tracks on the same trees.

I'm sure some survived but something kicked in...

2 hours ago, MetHerb said:

I certainly would not say all, but if you spend any time looking around, you'd see a very large percentage did in some places.  I went out one week and saw thousands crawling up just about every tree species, including pines and week later nearly all of them were dead in their tracks on the same trees.

I'm sure some survived but something kicked in...

Oh, no question the fungus killed large numbers. The problem is the overall number of caterpillars was so extreme the survivor numbers appear to be more than sufficient for part deux next year.

28 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Oh, no question the fungus killed large numbers. The problem is the overall number of caterpillars was so extreme the survivor numbers appear to be more than sufficient for part deux next year.

Yeah, it's a law of averages.  I do think we will be better off next year as long as precip stays pretty normal.  I think things were thrown off last year with the drought but things are more normal now but we'll see.

29 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

Yeah, it's a law of averages.  I do think we will be better off next year as long as precip stays pretty normal.  I think things were thrown off last year with the drought but things are more normal now but we'll see.

No comparisons to last year flying moths, couple here and there. Look at egg sack numbers later. I think it's over for extreme stripping of leaves next year.

15 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Last patch of snow on the mountain will likely melt tonight...

Had a good run.

19756910_10103070427829880_3157005576955

:lol::lol:  Classic Lab behavior!

Welcome. You'll miss the heat after your first spring in Dover. :lol:

Haha, it'll be hard to miss weeks with the dew point above 70° F :) Thanks!

No springtime dews in the 70s here - the downside for NNE spring are days in late April/Early May when dews/temps are both low-mid 40s with misery mist, while 200 miles (or less) to the SW it's sunny 70. 

re: #1701 - Those fir look to be toward the large/old end of the spectrum, and that species is short-lived so maybe it was just their time.  In northern Maine fir are good for 60-80 years (spruce budworm permitting) while fir in the midcoast region often fail to reach 50.  Western MA, even at some elevation, is probably in the shorter fir life expectancy box.

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Nice to call friends liars. Good guy 

Except he called for warm September days and you are saying that he called for cool September days.  There's a subtle difference.  When you have 80s in September it usually cools off at night which it has been.  This morning it was in the 50s again and we put up another negative departure day.

23 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

Except he called for warm September days and you are saying that he called for cool September days.  There's a subtle difference.  When you have 80s in September it usually cools off at night which it has been.  This morning it was in the 50s again and we put up another negative departure day.

At any rate not worth it.

Glad you were in the 50's as that valley there between hills radiates nicely. My low was 63.8

7 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

At any rate not worth it.

Glad you were in the 50's as that valley there between hills radiates nicely. My low was 63.8

Reminds me of those nights in winter when they're in the 20s and you're melting at 33.8F.

2 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Hum,  been watching that cluster of storms NE of Puerto Rico.  Nothing from the NHC about development.  Seems to be taking on a bit of mid level spin and cirrus starting to show a bit of outflow.  Just something to watch....  

Ex td 4. 

9 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

Ex td 4. 

Thanks ineed...   Interesting.  I just looked on tropical tidbits.  Some of the models have it developing and the track is WNW towards Florida.  I wonder why the NHC didn't even mention anything at 2pm.   Probably nothing will come of it but it's position and steering patterns are somewhat concerning....

32 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Hang on, @Damage In Tolland who did you pay off to get BOX to share a graphic about the 2013 Tolland tree topper instead of the 1989 F4 in CT? 

We are famous. That was the same day we had the one here in town 

Clearly evident on archived radar too. Clear    Rotation and gate to gate . It was aroUnd 4:00 pm

Archived