Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

11 hours ago, weathafella said:

Climbed up MT Avalon today.  Spectacular hiking wx.  Wanted to do another peak but decided to pack it in.  Tons of water with frequent areas of wet and muddy trails the past few days.  Stream crossing was way tougher than usual!

How were the views from Avalon?  Might try that this year.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Full on,low dew, bluebird in Truro.

Just hit a secluded kettle Pond, heading out to national seashore after some lunch at the camp. We can actually walk to Head of the Meadow Beach from our campsite!

Love Head of the Meadow!  We always go up and over the dunes at the end of the parking lot to get away from the crowds.  How are the seals this year?  The numbers there really seemed to jump dramatically last year.  Heading out to Eastham at the end of the month.  Can't wait.  Enjoy!!!

34 minutes ago, HimoorWx said:

How were the views from Avalon?  Might try that this year.

Quite wonderful!  I'll post a pic later when I have a better cell signal or wifi.  Trail is much less traveled vs Willard so it felt more peaceful.  The last 0.5 mile to the summit is steep and extremely rocky which makes the descent over that part harder on the body.  But well worth it imo.

6 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Quite wonderful!  I'll post a pic later when I have a better cell signal or wifi.  Trail is much less traveled vs Willard so it felt more peaceful.  The last 0.5 mile to the summit is steep and extremely rocky which makes the descent over that part harder on the body.  But we'll worth it imo.

Great.  Willard does get a bit crowded as it is such an easy climb to spectacular views.  Where do you stay up there?

Just now, HimoorWx said:

Great.  Willard does get a bit crowded as it is such an easy climb to spectacular views.  Where do you stay up there?

AMC Mountain Center.  Well located, food included, and nice fellow guests.  I'd like to return in winter but I'm not sure I'd ever consider a winter climb at this point in life.  But flat hiking around would be fun.  

On 7/3/2017 at 6:29 PM, tamarack said:

Yup.  I'd be tempted to precede the insecticide with 3 loads of 7 1/2s from the 12-guge (nearest neighbor is 500' away) but not an option at Mt. Tolland.

Don't know if this has been posted elsewhere - 4 confirmed spinners in Maine Saturday, including one just shy of EF2 at Moose Pond in Bridgton.  Maine has recorded no confirmed EF3s.

Personally,  I would use 8's with a 30" full choke barrel to make sure even the surrounding branches go with it..............;)

21 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Yeah, clouds rolled in here too.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

A gift from the skies, that thankfully cut the glare on the water as I sought a fish dinner from the Belgrades.  Oddly, I've come home with a tick (dog twice, deer once) on each of my 3 times fishing North Pond this year, despite there being no woods nor grass between where I park and where I put the canoe in.  Have those beasts learned to swim?   :weep:

What used to be an enjoyable day is now spent attempting to keep a scared dog calm during all the neighbors fireworks.  :(

Our neighbor was sending up some serious skyrockets last evening - booms at apogee seemed much louder than my memory of cherry bombs, more in the M-80 range.  My dog was not pleased but I've been breaking her in on thunder.  Like Abby the Lab before her, she doesn't like it but likes to be with me on the porch when I'm violating the "When thunder roars, go indoors" rule.

Edit:  I already have the 7 1/2s. lol    At 20 ft with improved cyl in my polychoked Ithaca featherweight the pattern spread is about 6", and I can get the 3 shots off in as many seconds, immolating most of the insects plus leaves and small branches that would hinder the spray.  This morning (mid-upper 40s) would've been perfect.  Unfortunately, the paper wasps that have inflicted 90% of family stings here like to nest in the rock wall along the driveway, so other means must be used.

Hey guys...

Kind of off topic but the weather is quiet and I know a lot of you weather freaks are into all kinds of stuff scientific.  Astronomy has always interested me too.  Many of you probably know a total eclipse of the sun is coming up in 6 weeks.  First solar eclipse to cross the US in 99 years.  Here in New England its only a partial eclipse with about 70% of the sun covered which is not enough to really even notice unless you have the cheapy eclipse glasses and look up at the slice of the sun gone..  The narrow path of totality runs from Oregon SE through the country and exits in South Carolina.  Years ago I traveled to Aruba and watched a total eclipse.  A day I will always remember.  Absolutely amazing.  This eclipse is on Monday August 21rst.  I would highly suggest that if you could travel down south to try to do it.  Of course weather is the big wild card.  One shower, one cloud during the 2 minutes of totality and all bets are off.  Keeping mobile is key. 

If traveling to see this eclipse is impossible, no worries.  In only 6 1/2 years there will be another one.  Even better. April 8 2024.  Totality path goes NE bound thru the Ohio valley into NY state and up through NNE.  Fingers crossed the weather will be good for both eclipses.

Next month the eclipse news will be non stop....

What does the experience look like from ground.  Here's one from China 2008.  Totality starts around 4 minute mark.

Enjoy

Gene

XGtw0KCf0Zg43M-ZwaR62yJ9cj_q4vKlrHgi2WOzx1cqgUCmgy28T_RZYADZtMKMRdiXOhID7AwpOuiPGqaVT_-jYEwivs-6XBGDCzp07hBiXaLJID8dgrYJ-EQ-adDEI5X8k-PdzPlZtAkVDu4mnb9DoXLn2S5gRSjEv2hIuiCui5t6BHi1xdnGDWbiK5mfPV31yw38Vwv1PfV5HknS15S-75rUiBG6HsrN8CrVYvG8ILVflz9K7RTpF_HEIwTkH_J88O4QPPsCwn39SnNMZyIdes2UnSaIQy0AfWY6kLCM6Ufr_W4eA7yNr17brtIB_DFezE_3e-XvD7VdvoVnCH5R1chf_TD7f1mDP3Gi4gOz8PpFRqucgxNINl_CGTm3NJGQnwClOZilG6zxvH0pqiaLcTvQ7tPY5Ljrmc9AEijXh7D4Mt1prZfGYt-rDNh_KUBhqOuZoPqFeuUPLslpc-STPMbQQwa7WkdUi8oq9CLI-luJmcU_LdNbo4NauMh3GQA7YyjuafDvVbGxpzSfpzmDDcPyMfsEUaVB315T5CmclEcvVjWCzaUZ_v2RU0yAIm5FWQ5yeWkLF-l8ye1Pv7SuQ71sdoxvTQRl8tfR3qxfkKWfTwlc=w546-h970-nojm5CBajcurH2XvBoowmYhLg6yy9uZOE7rXWWlLpkybM_4sNYhVd1Up_Irvh0TqgoXqDQjNYjlwVGHmD1iZeP7L9tI4CluVHzYroPYPHmFaEr99gizt_Mm_L612xmtzPk2bkJTHZsOEAfkmctHpyWvXlIFM8Rl4geE5QKFi4qo5Ee085WGFCb3frN-YD1v2ec4QAAhrQnFg604qQFGflxnHqNk0RsThDuZ0GxEyDt6_pKdpb-FgMTeh1-hDwMDSRhiT5HTh_I386MpVVxN0rGYTe_xZuODmbT8XTIQRT2fKqwr8wtpS7Ptc7q3dDPOdxY4AB9bPNMdI2zMS9wqgXLyYU0Uwzakd9IszI5KLBv7ZH1jhugyaiurHw9t12Nppf4Pobk5EUSPrT8EfAK6_U4J4v47Ybj8XOtbpozk827Urm8LY7-qwpp8h9jU8vAIvYMOXA6Y4bntbCrAZGKWqkjs-maSjXvfONZxKRWNetomFokClbdva9VI1CU21CEMHUHdxfWBPj8h6FhFt6VUC5Hn6SWFtseGmM6N05BTj7KXAPiRs1tmwV4MW0J7nQZ69ygN99oZtzI99PjLB5HvM52K-wgvDjyd22w6LDEVT9Nq-VmuerFCrTVXXP4=w1548-h871-no

oVFH6RF6QAQfYwMm7UCkykXN3goYl-GW0mWb7DAet4Xuvi3p2wPwBxVIMVwL2nOp-R2zlXT1ViMtWGmXeGIsZrEqZ8kyYsuConGsC8avF9cYxzb9gw0QYc8UkXs3rV34jB3uh-Gdu3jUT_m5K00PGoSuv5kLSaeaPKagw0aFNAEfSiPT3PdMIPVnDwnSbaTTmmkcZUe67gi2vOnpQu_hqt5MkbRbqMABgNG3U_vxHgKtK-uCbe3enkI2z1LXM4bS6e9kvybCKn4JlZF9iowjjSZBDKalQB84-Gpd6T1VeGNDzi2U0SunAquwV2yOtcZSf0cpme_JurihGJueadjEC-dl4IvlKcT_Og2ZFZK68Jk4GZh2kIy5Fm0zKnGCQaM7O7qwB2jIUr3Uicv7ZvnJjtsK5KW3aAz46XlLTzc-wqTWx7v0YfdlK7j8V8PuCeNzaI2GFNibHZeyR31JsAewYBi5mCi_Cv9XT2uVvjRVAIszZz6V6-jIJqqR6d4TbRgLeVjPPdHfRlSdB10ZJ0FzRBjvP_XOJiXQNCvIpYTVIA73AT4U4IkdFDYtC-Ne7F_WgOsFD2TQ_vJrXyFRsUWoOTzNJUo44Y323wMT2G0UKVMmyof5NWN5S6Is=w1548-h871-nosome pics from this past weekend in Grafton County NH, really bad up there.  The road to our cabin was completey washed out in multiple spots, luckily DOT had threw some gravel in the worst trenches to make the road passable.  The pic of the cabin is of a place down the street from us.....the road basically got all deposited in their front yard. 

2 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

If traveling to see this eclipse is impossible, no worries.  In only 6 1/2 years there will be another one.  Even better. April 8 2024.  Totality path goes NE bound thru the Ohio valley into NY state and up through NNE.  Fingers crossed the weather will be good for both eclipses.

Gene

Center of totality is only a 50-mile drive north of my place.  Assuming I'm still able (it's almost a month past my 78th), I'd try either the Eustis Ridge picnic area west of Flagstaff or Long Falls Dam at the other end of the lake.  Each are just a few miles south of the centerline.

52 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Center of totality is only a 50-mile drive north of my place.  Assuming I'm still able (it's almost a month past my 78th), I'd try either the Eustis Ridge picnic area west of Flagstaff or Long Falls Dam at the other end of the lake.  Each are just a few miles south of the centerline.

That 2024 one coming on April 8th will probably be shrouded by misery mist and thicknovercast. We will just think it's a bit darker than normal. :lol:

6 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Hey guys...

Kind of off topic but the weather is quiet and I know a lot of you weather freaks are into all kinds of stuff scientific.  Astronomy has always interested me too.  Many of you probably know a total eclipse of the sun is coming up in 6 weeks.  First solar eclipse to cross the US in 99 years.  Here in New England its only a partial eclipse with about 70% of the sun covered which is not enough to really even notice unless you have the cheapy eclipse glasses and look up at the slice of the sun gone..  The narrow path of totality runs from Oregon SE through the country and exits in South Carolina.  Years ago I traveled to Aruba and watched a total eclipse.  A day I will always remember.  Absolutely amazing.  This eclipse is on Monday August 21rst.  I would highly suggest that if you could travel down south to try to do it.  Of course weather is the big wild card.  One shower, one cloud during the 2 minutes of totality and all bets are off.  Keeping mobile is key. 

What does the experience look like from ground.  Here's one from China 2008.  Totality starts around 4 minute mark.

Enjoy

Gene

Nashville.  We're going to try to go.  Not counting on being healthy at age 77.

A friend of mine has been skiing at Mammoth the past few days and it does look pretty crazy for the 4th of July.  Said there's even patchy snow cover in shaded spots down in their Main Lodge base area along the roads and stuff.  I can't even imagine driving to your condo for the 4th of July and have snowbanks in spots.

A couple photos I'll steal from his FB feed, ha.

19601119_10155436803634603_5065903875937'

19598887_10155436803784603_5612763412886

19693543_10155442088724603_1735056811187

19598701_10155442089599603_4852669934121

17 hours ago, mreaves said:

That 2024 one coming on April 8th will probably be shrouded by misery mist and thicknovercast. We will just think it's a bit darker than normal. :lol:

A bit darker?   :P     Often the worst time to be on the logging roads, too, though a late spring would maintain winter conditions into April.  The places I noted have paved road access.

5 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Quebec City is awesome...most Euro feeling city on the East Coast of North America.

I love it.

Also, loving another day of COC.  Warm and dry with a breeze.  Comfy here in the Garden,  72* back at the Pit. Maybe some warmth and humidity down the road, but this is a coc start of summer if ever there was one.

20 hours ago, Whineminster said:

XGtw0KCf0Zg43M-ZwaR62yJ9cj_q4vKlrHgi2WOzx1cqgUCmgy28T_RZYADZtMKMRdiXOhID7AwpOuiPGqaVT_-jYEwivs-6XBGDCzp07hBiXaLJID8dgrYJ-EQ-adDEI5X8k-PdzPlZtAkVDu4mnb9DoXLn2S5gRSjEv2hIuiCui5t6BHi1xdnGDWbiK5mfPV31yw38Vwv1PfV5HknS15S-75rUiBG6HsrN8CrVYvG8ILVflz9K7RTpF_HEIwTkH_J88O4QPPsCwn39SnNMZyIdes2UnSaIQy0AfWY6kLCM6Ufr_W4eA7yNr17brtIB_DFezE_3e-XvD7VdvoVnCH5R1chf_TD7f1mDP3Gi4gOz8PpFRqucgxNINl_CGTm3NJGQnwClOZilG6zxvH0pqiaLcTvQ7tPY5Ljrmc9AEijXh7D4Mt1prZfGYt-rDNh_KUBhqOuZoPqFeuUPLslpc-STPMbQQwa7WkdUi8oq9CLI-luJmcU_LdNbo4NauMh3GQA7YyjuafDvVbGxpzSfpzmDDcPyMfsEUaVB315T5CmclEcvVjWCzaUZ_v2RU0yAIm5FWQ5yeWkLF-l8ye1Pv7SuQ71sdoxvTQRl8tfR3qxfkKWfTwlc=w546-h970-nojm5CBajcurH2XvBoowmYhLg6yy9uZOE7rXWWlLpkybM_4sNYhVd1Up_Irvh0TqgoXqDQjNYjlwVGHmD1iZeP7L9tI4CluVHzYroPYPHmFaEr99gizt_Mm_L612xmtzPk2bkJTHZsOEAfkmctHpyWvXlIFM8Rl4geE5QKFi4qo5Ee085WGFCb3frN-YD1v2ec4QAAhrQnFg604qQFGflxnHqNk0RsThDuZ0GxEyDt6_pKdpb-FgMTeh1-hDwMDSRhiT5HTh_I386MpVVxN0rGYTe_xZuODmbT8XTIQRT2fKqwr8wtpS7Ptc7q3dDPOdxY4AB9bPNMdI2zMS9wqgXLyYU0Uwzakd9IszI5KLBv7ZH1jhugyaiurHw9t12Nppf4Pobk5EUSPrT8EfAK6_U4J4v47Ybj8XOtbpozk827Urm8LY7-qwpp8h9jU8vAIvYMOXA6Y4bntbCrAZGKWqkjs-maSjXvfONZxKRWNetomFokClbdva9VI1CU21CEMHUHdxfWBPj8h6FhFt6VUC5Hn6SWFtseGmM6N05BTj7KXAPiRs1tmwV4MW0J7nQZ69ygN99oZtzI99PjLB5HvM52K-wgvDjyd22w6LDEVT9Nq-VmuerFCrTVXXP4=w1548-h871-no

oVFH6RF6QAQfYwMm7UCkykXN3goYl-GW0mWb7DAet4Xuvi3p2wPwBxVIMVwL2nOp-R2zlXT1ViMtWGmXeGIsZrEqZ8kyYsuConGsC8avF9cYxzb9gw0QYc8UkXs3rV34jB3uh-Gdu3jUT_m5K00PGoSuv5kLSaeaPKagw0aFNAEfSiPT3PdMIPVnDwnSbaTTmmkcZUe67gi2vOnpQu_hqt5MkbRbqMABgNG3U_vxHgKtK-uCbe3enkI2z1LXM4bS6e9kvybCKn4JlZF9iowjjSZBDKalQB84-Gpd6T1VeGNDzi2U0SunAquwV2yOtcZSf0cpme_JurihGJueadjEC-dl4IvlKcT_Og2ZFZK68Jk4GZh2kIy5Fm0zKnGCQaM7O7qwB2jIUr3Uicv7ZvnJjtsK5KW3aAz46XlLTzc-wqTWx7v0YfdlK7j8V8PuCeNzaI2GFNibHZeyR31JsAewYBi5mCi_Cv9XT2uVvjRVAIszZz6V6-jIJqqR6d4TbRgLeVjPPdHfRlSdB10ZJ0FzRBjvP_XOJiXQNCvIpYTVIA73AT4U4IkdFDYtC-Ne7F_WgOsFD2TQ_vJrXyFRsUWoOTzNJUo44Y323wMT2G0UKVMmyof5NWN5S6Is=w1548-h871-nosome pics from this past weekend in Grafton County NH, really bad up there.  The road to our cabin was completey washed out in multiple spots, luckily DOT had threw some gravel in the worst trenches to make the road passable.  The pic of the cabin is of a place down the street from us.....the road basically got all deposited in their front yard. 

I was up in Sunderland MA yesterday and the CT River is brown and debris filled. It's running about 1' over bankfull. I guess it's from all the rain in VT/NH.

Put a new (used) mobo into my comp today and added a little more RAM and the hdd is just clicking so I assume there isn't much I can do with it. I tried hooking it up to the gf's laptop with the sata-2-usb adapter and it won't power up. I have it in the freezer now, but I don't think I want to spend relatively big money to get some excel and wxlink files off of there. Sucks. It's only an 80 gig drive though...that's how old it is. Anyway, the diagnostic lights for a mobo failure disappeared so I assume that's at least good. I may as well get a decent SSD and install windows 7 on it.

18 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Put a new (used) mobo into my comp today and added a little more RAM and the hdd is just clicking so I assume there isn't much I can do with it. I tried hooking it up to the gf's laptop with the sata-2-usb adapter and it won't power up. I have it in the freezer now, but I don't think I want to spend relatively big money to get some excel and wxlink files off of there. Sucks. It's only an 80 gig drive though...that's how old it is. Anyway, the diagnostic lights for a mobo failure disappeared so I assume that's at least good. I may as well get a decent SSD and install windows 7 on it.

Can it handle Windows 10 ?

4 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I will be on a plane flying from MCO back to PVD early morning on the 21st.   I wonder what that will be like.  

Edit.  I thought my flight time I've SC might match up.  Missing it by 5 hours.  Oh well

Hoar,  you got to change your ticket if there is a flight that leaves MCO around 230pm.  Even if you have to fly into Boston.  Seeing this eclipse from 35,000 would be amazing.  There are special charters just for this that cost big bucks.  Eclipse time in SC and out over the Atlantic is 330pm.  Need a window seat on the left side of the plane.  Pretty hard to be at the exact path at the right time but this is what it will look like looking west...

maxresdefault.jpg

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Sucks.  Weird that both the mobo and the drive failed at the same time, unless you had a power surge or a lightning strike or they both got wet somehow.   Might be worth one last try trying to access it after you boot from a new HDD/SSD.  But it might just be shot, bummer.

And BTW, every time you put an OS on it's a new opportunity to install linux ;)

Jerry,  Glad your having a great time in QC!  Isn't it an amazing place.  Winter is fantastic.  Constant flurries with Christmas lights on every building. Thanksgiving should be good.  I would guess they usually have a snowcover by then without it being super cold.  QC really does get very cold in mid winter being so far north....

Cobblestone streets, the snow, the shops and food.  The best kept secret without having to travel to Europe.  Enjoy!!!!

32 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Hoar,  you got to change your ticket if there is a flight that leaves MCO around 230pm.  Even if you have to fly into Boston.  Seeing this eclipse from 35,000 would be amazing.  There are special charters just for this that cost big bucks.  Eclipse time in SC and out over the Atlantic is 330pm.  Need a window seat on the left side of the plane.  Pretty hard to be at the exact path at the right time but this is what it will look like looking west...

maxresdefault.jpg

Can't seem to,find a flight that matches.  Plus we would lose $500 on the tickets already bought

would have been neat.  Maybe we can get the earth to rotate a bit faster

Archived