Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

3 hours ago, S&P said:

great shots, played golf with a young kid from shelburne falls wednesday, said he was from there and asked if i heard of it said, i said yeah, he was surprised

No doubt impressed as well!

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Did a 10 mile run this morning earlier. Check out these trees 2 miles from mehttp://057FB40E-308D-47A6-BBC8-D8B784207E6D_zpshttp://8DDF18AA-CD8B-47B7-A47A-93F2B703AC08_zps

At least there's no humidity--something to mitigate the lack of shade.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

So I was just out standing by the bush. Saw them flying around and saw where the nest is. I took out phone and before I could snap the pic.. they got me in the left arm. 3rd time in 10 days. You can see it here. Any ideas?

http://80CCBF16-7A9A-4370-9D49-DC9BEFEE7B69_zps

Cheer on a July night in the 40s and get'em while they're chilled?

21 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

So I was just out standing by the bush. Saw them flying around and saw where the nest is. I took out phone and before I could snap the pic.. they got me in the left arm. 3rd time in 10 days. You can see it here. Any ideas?

http://80CCBF16-7A9A-4370-9D49-DC9BEFEE7B69_zps

Go in on a cool night and spray the **** out of it and run back into the house. That could get bad.

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Cheer on a July night in the 40s and get'em while they're chilled?

Yup.  I'd be tempted to precede the insecticide with 3 loads of 7 1/2s from the 12-guge (nearest neighbor is 500' away) but not an option at Mt. Tolland.

Don't know if this has been posted elsewhere - 4 confirmed spinners in Maine Saturday, including one just shy of EF2 at Moose Pond in Bridgton.  Maine has recorded no confirmed EF3s.

21 minutes ago, geo1 said:

Go in on a cool night and spray the **** out of it and run back into the house. That could get bad.

Even on Saturday I was trimming the bush with old school clippers. They weren't swarming until I hit the area where I now know the nest is. But man, today you just walk in a 10 foot radius and they swarm out and all around . Some came at my face and head, but no stings. Then I took out phone , stopped and zoomed in and one instantly hit my left forearm 

16 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Yup.  I'd be tempted to precede the insecticide with 3 loads of 7 1/2s from the 12-guge (nearest neighbor is 500' away) but not an option at Mt. Tolland.

Don't know if this has been posted elsewhere - 4 confirmed spinners in Maine Saturday, including one just shy of EF2 at Moose Pond in Bridgton.  Maine has recorded no confirmed EF3s.

What is that?

10 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Hunch did that and almost caught his house on fire . Remember 

Haha no I don't but sounds like a great story.

Yeah I think you find the coldest night possible and stick a can of insecticide in a power washer and try to hit the suckers from like 50 feet away lol.

15 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Haha no I don't but sounds like a great story.

Yeah I think you find the coldest night possible and stick a can of insecticide in a power washer and try to hit the suckers from like 50 feet away lol.

Truth!

wasp and hornet killer turns out to be highly flammable

We had a volleyball sized nest in a juniper bush in front of the house. Waited until dark. Covered myself up in jeans sweatshirt goggles etc.  Doused the nest with 4 cans of spray.  I had earlier made a torch from a scrap of wood, a sock, and gasoline.  Lit the torch. Used the torch to light nest

Fireball

The whole bush went up. 15-20 foot high flames right near the house. Thankfully had the hose ready and buckets of pool water

The next morning there were 100s and 100s of cooked larvae and hornets.  

The bush was done. 

Get out there and enjoy. Epic day lined up...

Pleasant air from eastern Canada has arrived noted by dew point temperatures in the 50s statewide. We can open the windows and enjoy. Low humidity, sunshine, and highs in the 80s will visit us for through Wednesday as high pressure protects us.

Tuesday the 4th: One word: Gorgeous! Sunshine, low humidity and highs in the low-mid 80s and a light wind.

11 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Even on Saturday I was trimming the bush with old school clippers. They weren't swarming until I hit the area where I now know the nest is. But man, today you just walk in a 10 foot radius and they swarm out and all around . Some came at my face and head, but no stings. Then I took out phone , stopped and zoomed in and one instantly hit my left forearm 

Taurus SC spray. It's what the pros use. Available on Amazon. Will wipe them out in less than 24 hours.

https://www.amazon.com/Taurus-SC-CSI13598-20oz/dp/B0058DGMKG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499162706&sr=8-1&keywords=taurus+sc

1 hour ago, BrianW said:

Taurus SC spray. It's what the pros use. Available on Amazon. Will wipe them out in less than 24 hours.

https://www.amazon.com/Taurus-SC-CSI13598-20oz/dp/B0058DGMKG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499162706&sr=8-1&keywords=taurus+sc

The problem with spraying in general is how deeply it's embedded in the bush. There's no way in hell I can get close enough to thoroughly hit the nest, the opening etc. I have to pull branches back to get a good hit on it. And since now you can't even walk near it, I'm not sure how to attack it. There's not gonna be any mornings here that are below 50. I guess I could try it at night, but the problem with that is visibility and not wanting to use a flashlight. It may come down to me calling the exterminator again that got the one out of our window last year, which I don't want to do. I'm not sure why they are so gung ho on my yard for nests

The problem with spraying in general is how deeply it's embedded in the bush. There's no way in hell I can get close enough to thoroughly hit the nest, the opening etc. I have to pull branches back to get a good hit on it. And since now you can't even walk near it, I'm not sure how to attack it. There's not gonna be any mornings here that are below 50. I guess I could try it at night, but the problem with that is visibility and not wanting to use a flashlight. It may come down to me calling the exterminator again that got the one out of our window last year, which I don't want to do. I'm not sure why they are so gung ho on my yard for nests

Can't you just call the professionals?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Or how about dropping a heavy sack from the second story onto the bush. Maybe that would spread the bush out more so you can get at them better

Archived